• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cherokee Wiper Arm swap

JMurray

Expecting to do this mod over the next day or two...

With that said, a few people have experienced the original cherokee spring being TOO tight and opting to use a different spring.

Has anyone tried NOT cutting the arm 4" or so but less, still have the same rivet point as if you cut it at 4", but having a longer 'tail' on it so that where you drill the hole for the spring attach is farther in, thereby relieving some of the tension on the spring?

I don't have the parts yet, so this is purely theoretically, but does that make sense? or am I missing something?

I just did this today and moved the hole slightly towards the spring. You cal only go so far before the spring is completely collapsed on itself. If your hole is any closer you will not have any tension when the arm is in its normal position (not pulled away from the windshield).
Those of you with problems might try a different quality blade (the high end blades might be stiffer?), I used NAPA Exact Fit #60-014-1 with no problems. Just a thought. Hope it helps.

JimAndA72

Loc.
Beaverton, Oregon
I just ordered the 819-5835 NAPA parts, but then realized none of you that were going to try it came back with any feedback. Mine will be at the store on Friday and I didn't have to pay for them in advance. Worth the money and effort? They're $22.99 now, btw. Thanks

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm also in Oregon. They do work a lot better than the 40 year old stuff that was on there.

markperry

Bronco Guru
They are awesome, I can see clearly in summer rains and Ice doesn't worry me what so ever. Definitely worth the money.

Recko555

Just finished this upgrade. Everything fits and works great, plus no chatter with dry glass. I haven't tried them in the rain yet.

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
Just finished this on the new ride. I already had one done from my previous project. I had stripped the paint from it and polished it up to look a little more like the originals. The new truck is black so I made the other while the wife was driving it around and painted both black to match. Used them this morning in the dew. This has to be one of the greatest upgrades for any EB, this and the headlight relays. Now if I could only get another set to clean the inside of the windshield I'd be set.

Headlight relays removed from the previous project. They go on this weekend.

bmbm

SwedenBronco-I am not going to order the blades was just curious to see them. The link of course is not in English so could not navigate. One of my next upgrades, better wipers.
That's great you have a Bronco there probably kind of rare.

strider

Loc.
Holland
42873 is the autozone and advance auto parts number for the Dorman arms.

They're $21.99 which kind of stinks, but if it means that I can drive in the rain with decent visibility I guess they'll be worth every penny.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
Speaking of wipers....I used to own an old VW...Karman Ghia...a59. Very Cool California Car....It used to be 6 volt...But the PO did a 12volt Conversion.....except the Wipers.....So...I'm sitting at a light....waiting...To Go...wipers wipe really fast....when I saw FLING...THERE GO'S THE WIPER BLADE.....I HIT A PERSON ON THE SIDEWALK WITH THE ARM/BLADE.....F%&K...

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Here's a couple of side-by-side comparison pics.

DSCN3434_zps9d67187e.jpg

DSCN3447_zps6db67674.jpg

WARDOG

Loc.
Graniteville, CA
Ordered the Jeep Wiper arms from Auto Zone, got them in one day. NAPA acted like I was asking for the Holy Grail and said their closest was 800 miles away. The Jeep Dealer wanted $44 apiece! I paid $23 each new + wipers.
I modified them and installed them today. Took less than an hour to do both. Very easy to do. I cut 3 1/4" off the arm and they fit perfect at full sweep. Used a 8-32 x 3/8" SS socket head screw with SS Nylock in place of the rivet which was drilled out.
HUGE improvement over stock. Much more tension onto the windshield to remove snow. Eager to see how it clears snow now.
I am going to make up another pair to have as spares.

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
Did you use the Auto Zone/ Advance Dorman part number above ? Dorman 42873 and are they both a 13" blade?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Did you use the Auto Zone/ Advance Dorman part number above ? Dorman 42873 and are they both a 13" blade?

I used 14" blades and cut the last 1/4" off of the blade with my dikes.
This makes a 13 3/4" blade. Modified the Cherokee arms with this in mind. Really wipes the whole area really well. Learned about it here on CB of course.
I also like how the Cherokee arms can be bent to lay flat against the window seal creating a better field of view out of the windshield.

ft bronc

Loc.
Greater Cincinnati
OK - stupid question of the day: how do you get the stock wiper arms off the posts? Don't see any retaining clips or anything, but I hate to pry on things when I don't know how they come off.