• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best way to replace radius arm bushings

kat

Loc.
Bristol
I installed a James Duff suspenison in my 76 a few years ago. And replaced the C bushings AND the radius arm bushings at the same time. But it seems my radiius arm bushings are dry rotted and are breaking apart.
How to I go about replacing JUST the radius arm bushings without messing with the C bushings?? It seems there isn't very much wiggle room to get the radius arm out of the drop bracket. Thanks for any help.

Attac

Contributor
You have to do it the same way you installed them the first time. Since the C Bushings have to be put in and leveled first and i assume thats how you did it, then jack up and put frame on jack stands, unhook drag link and track bar and shocks loosen sring retainers at top and roll front end forward enough to pull radius bushings and reinstall in reverse. Sometime in certain setups you dont have to unhook everything but it is way easier to just do it.
Hardest part is getting arms back in and bushings seated correct. I use a couple ratchet straps to help
Chuck

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
You have to do it the same way you installed them the first time. Since the C Bushings have to be put in and leveled first and i assume thats how you did it, then jack up and put frame on jack stands, unhook drag link and track bar and shocks loosen sring retainers at top and roll front end forward enough to pull radius bushings and reinstall in reverse. Sometime in certain setups you dont have to unhook everything but it is way easier to just do it.
Hardest part is getting arms back in and bushings seated correct. I use a couple ratchet straps to help
Chuck
Thanks Chuck...I just needed a refresher. Its all coming back to me now. I just wanted to make sure I DIDN"T have to loosen my C bushings. I thought it was odd that the radius bushings didn't last very long. Maybe I didn't have them seated correctly as you said. They are poly bushings and just broke apart like candy...Thanks

Attac

Contributor
Oh I completely understand. When i finnaly finished mine i didnt start my youngest sons for about a year and a half. Would go into complete Brainfart.
Thats why I started my oldest sons as soon as the younger one was done.

I have seen poly (and rubber) do that before way quicker than they should. It could be some sort of chemical got on them or the compound was just not right when they were made. Hard to tell. It is a cheap fix but takes about 2-3 hrs of labor. If you didnt have them seated right they would have just deformed not really broke apart as you desribe. Im sure they were right.
Chuck

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
When using poly bushings how tight do you torque the nuts? It seems like you could over torque it and split the bushings. Mine are going back in tonight or tomorrow so your post was timely!

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
One other thing to keep in mind is you may have to unhook the front drive shaft to be able to slide the axle far enough forward. It depends on how far the splines of the drive shaft will allow you to move it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Come-a-long will pull the axle forward. One side at a time.
Re-stabbing the hole may take a ratchet strap to suck it toward the other arm, or a scrap of wood to spread them apart. A floor jack to raise the arm toward the hole, or under the axle on the other side to lower the arm toward the hole.

Without messing with the C-bushing there should not be any change to the Bronco lean.

The arm has a shoulder on it. You tighten the nut until it bottoms. If the bushing splits, it was a bad bushing.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
You need to disconnect the track bar. Disconnect the front driveshaft. Jack up the front end of the frame. Roll the tire,axle and steering forward enough to swap the rear bushings. I didn't have to disconnect the steering but did disconnect the steering shock. I think I had to turn the steering wheel though. You have to pull it out one side at a time and not both sides at one time. When I did it I was taking out the whole arm so I used a come along to pull back the axle to get the bolts started. You have to jack it up pretty high to get enough movement and tire clearance. I was able to do it without disconnecting the brake line. Its all very close but you can get it done.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you lost the poly bushings this quickly, that would be a good reason to try rubber bushings again. Sometimes the poly simply does not like being under tension all the time. Like they would be with a suspension lift.

Often enough the rubber will take the constant tension better.
If the arms go straight into the frame brackets when sitting at ride height, you should not have any trouble. But if they're already angled downward due to the lift, then the new ones may be short lived as well.

Good luck.

Paul

Attac

Contributor
Re-stabbing the hole may take a ratchet strap to suck it toward the other arm, or a scrap of wood to spread them apart. A floor jack to raise the arm toward the hole, or under the axle on the other side to lower the arm toward the hole.

I laughed when I read this.
Anyone who hasn't done this before would be saying "what the hell" but we all know this is exactly how we have to finagle these things apart and back together.
Great explanation Broncobowsher!!
Chuck

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Poly bushings work fine for normal driving and dirt roads, but have broke apart on me on trails that require a lot of articulation or front loading on the radius arms.
One trail in particular, where you had to hit the bottom of a gully with enough speed to Keep your momentum going, enough to get up the other side without spinning tires. Poly bushings would only hold up to two of those fishing trips. The MOOG rubber bushings I got at NAPA are still in there after years of hard work.

TDubya

Loc.
Fortuna, CA
Chuck

Need to replace my C Bushings and radius bushings this weekend. Its been about 20 years since I installed my lift, so where does everyone place the jack stands to safely support the front of the Bronco and still have access to the front end? Thanks

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Need to replace my C Bushings and radius bushings this weekend. Its been about 20 years since I installed my lift, so where does everyone place the jack stands to safely support the front of the Bronco and still have access to the front end? Thanks

I put the stands close to the front bumper. Never tried it behind the arms.

Attac

Contributor

I just put the lift arms behind the radius arms on the frame and the back ones on the front spring attach at the rear and hit the button to raise it up......oh wait....
Have I told y'all that my lift has to be the best improvement I have ever done to my shop. My son has been trying to get me to go ahead and buy it ever since I built the new shop.

Sorry...back to your origional programming now
Chuck

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Chuck,
Good info there actually...I just got a two post lift and was worried that would be too far back for the front lift point.
Tyler

Attac

Contributor
Chuck,
Good info there actually...I just got a two post lift and was worried that would be too far back for the front lift point.
Tyler

Tyler you have to test your bronco to see how it will balance.
Let me send you a pm with my number. It will be way easier to tell you haha
Chuck

Tugross302

Exactly how I did it but I had to chock the rear tires to keep from dragging the whole truck forward with the come-a-long.