• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What build order now? Body or engine and running gear?

What order for build, unsure of finishing with my budget

• New Engine First While Waiting on FG Body?

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • FG Body and finishing, knowing I'll have to replace the engine later?

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
12 years of dealing with nonsense. Now the body is gone and a fiberglass one is coming in late spring. I have a budget, but not necessarily enough to do everything I want to get it all finished the way I want. So.....

With frame clean, transmission and running gear good - should I buy a crate 351 and put in while the body is off, then body, wiring etc?

Or, should I keep the 302 with 135K and just focus on the body until the 302 has to be replaced?

I'm thinking Engine and exhaust would be so much easier with the body off. But it may delay me getting it ultimately to paint.

Thoughts?
Thanks! - jim

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
If your current engine runs good and has no major issues clean it up and use it. As you probably know a good running 302 will push our broncos along just fine. A 351 is nice but if your budget is tight I would spend the money on things to get your truck back together. Since you are going with a new body I bet you are going to want new trim, lights, chrome, and all the other little things add up quick. You can always upgrade a motor down the road.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Body is off and you're committed now, if money is no issue, I'd do everything that's easier with the body off, now for sure. It will take so much less time and effort to work the drive train and frame.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Since the body is fiberglass the last thing i would do is paint and wiring. I would want the e
engine and tranny in place and operational before the body goes on if possible. Big ticket items are only getting more expensive every day you wait.

Last edited:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
If your current engine runs good and has no major issues clean it up and use it. As you probably know a good running 302 will push our broncos along just fine. A

Concur........

JSmall

Bronco Guru
Suspension and drive train first. That way you can do whatever trimming or mods before paint.

This. Even if your body was on and you planned to use it, I would always suggest you start with the drivetrain and suspension. The body and making it look pretty would be the last thing I spent funds on. Maybe that's because that is what I'm doing :cool:

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
As stated, if the engine is good go with it. After losing a few hundred pounds dropping the steel body it will seem a lot more peppy. Do everything you can with the body off but keep in mind if you need to do something later when the body is on that you can still get to it easily. I put my fuel lines on top of the frame and when I swapped to an in-tank pump I had a hell of a time reworking the lines. Thankfully I put a 1" bl in but that was a small blessing. The lines don't look real kosher now.

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Brakes first!

brakes-you-mean-the-coward-pedal-4950803.png

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
I really, really need to do that as well.

I did the Horsepower disc conversion. I did the driver's side and Mrs. Obscure watched. Then she, the 95 lb ballet instructor did the passenger side and I watched. Best upgrade ever- besides hood shocks.

Oh, I switched to discs after my drums lurched to the right and almost put me into a New Orleans canal! :eek: :eek: :eek:

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Looks like I'm going to keep the engine, maybe swap the gears depending on cost, and just wait on the body then do electrical and body stuff.

Meanwhile, sandblast the frame, new shocks springs, bushings and motor mounts.

I swear, I tried everything possible not to do a frame-off. Yet, here I am.