• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hellwig front anti sway bar install?

crutch

I'm looking to install the hellwig front anti sway bar this weekend. The instructions seem a little vague so looking for anything I should look out for.

I've never removed the coils before. Is this fairly easy? Anything I should know about? Is it just a matter of jacking up by frame and after tires are off ground will all the tension be off the coils where they can just be removed. Will I need to remove the shocks? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Pretty much what you are saying is what you'll have to do. Block the daylights out of your rig (to keep it safe) as you'll have to raise it up quite a bit to get the coils un-bound.

Yes, remove the shocks.

Don't use a high-lift jack unless you like the hospital!! lol

Good luck!

OP
OP
crutch

crutch

Thanks for the feedback.

I think I'll go ahead and get some new progressive coils since I have no idea what's currently on here. I already upgraded billstein shocks which made a big difference.
Any other recommended upgrades I should look at while I have things apart?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redwards69

Loc.
Double Oak, TX
I did this a few weeks ago, very easy. I did not remove the shocks. I did use a high lift jack because mine is too high to jack up at the frame and I have long arms which would be in the way. I did one side at a time. What I noticed is it's helpful to get the tire up, but just touching the ground to loosen the spring (reduces preload on spring, but won't drop the axle when it's loose). then you can raise the frame more to remove spring.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Any other recommended upgrades I should look at while I have things apart?

Yes. C-bushings...
You can tell easily if they are rubber or polyurethane, but it's hard to tell what degree of offset they have. If they are already polyurethane and it drives well now and you're not planning to lift it any time soon, you don't need to re-do the C-bushings.
But if you are not sure about how it handles, may add a lift soon, already have power steering or the bushings look like they need changing anyway, now would be a great time to renew them.

Which ones you get will depend on a lot of questions being answered about how the Bronco is set up.

As far as anything else goes, honestly if you have not owned this Bronco long or don't know if it was maintained well, while you have the wheels off and after you've set up your anti-swaybar, you might consider re-packing the wheel bearings with grease and properly adjusting them.
Of course, if you need the Bronco to drive then you usually try to do just one thing at a time so you can keep it on the road. But if you have the luxury of not driving it often, then the sky's the limit as to what you can do at the same time.
After all, many a Bronco has gone into a full restoration-snowball mode for less than a swaybar project!;);D

Good luck.

Paul

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
You can use an engine lift/picker to raise the front of your Bronco. Suck the boom all the way in. But make sure to use jack stands or other blocking for safety.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Very few Broncos will you be able to remove the springs with the shocks still in place. They are generally the limiter for down travel. Also most will require both sides done at once since the other side will hold things up.

With the weight still on the truck, unbolt the shocks. Don't do it in the air as the springs will still be under tension if the shocks will be a travel limiter.
Watch the brake line, don't over stretch it. Possible since the axle can now travel further without the shocks limiting down travel. Now the springs can come out. Expect a little fight from the radius arm bushings holding the axle up and the springs in place. Step down on the axle is generally enough for the unbolted spring to fall out.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you can't easily lift the front of the frame high enough to unload the suspension, you can pull the tires to let the axle droop more. Once I put in my CAGE long arms and springs, it became a bit more difficult unless I have a forklift handy.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
To do other front end work in the past, I've jacked up the bronco as tall as my jack would go, then put stands under the frame just forward of the transfer case, remove the tires, and remove the jack. This should give you enough droop to get the springs out, and you won't be battling stand placement while you work.

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
Definitely replace your c-bushings and radius arm bushings while you’re in there. I like the degreed poly c-bushings and rubber radius arm bushings to have a bit more flex and better ride quality.

I jacked mine up, put it on jack stands, removed the wheels, removed shocks, then removed springs and coil cups. I used my floor back beneath the axle’s pumpkin to support it and jockey it up and down.

Very easy install that only took a few hours.

Also a good time to throw a longer front brake hose on there if you need one.

Mike42p

Quick question concerning the install and original cups. The original cups are curved on the bottom to fit on the slightly curved radius arms. The hellwig lower mounting plate is flat leaving less contact point on the radius arm right? Is this an issue?

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Quick question concerning the install and original cups. The original cups are curved on the bottom to fit on the slightly curved radius arms. The hellwig lower mounting plate is flat leaving less contact point on the radius arm right? Is this an issue?

A lot of guys run them and have had no issues that I have heard. I personally don't care for the design. I fabricated brackets and welded them to the radius arm caps.