• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Failing 4G Alternator and Battery

Jambi

Contributor
So I am on my second 4G alternator (Oreilly auto reman units) and second DieHard Gold battery in 5 months. Is there anything that would cause my alternator to keep failing or am I just lucky in what reman units I've been given?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You could be one of the "lucky" ones of course. But something in the wiring of the truck could be causing things to go wonky too.
And of course if the alternator doesn't charge and you let the battery die, you're pretty much on your own as to whether or not the battery will come back. Most can handle that a few times, but I've had batteries that literally died good and dead after only the first discharge.

How is yours set up? Sounds like you have an Explorer setup? Original Bronco wiring or all new?
Using new battery cable sized charge wire?

Paul

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
If it's not what Paul said...you are getting typical rebuilt crap that is sold today... I went thru several NAPA alternators before I got one that has lasted 2 yrs... pathetic quality now-a-days...

MUCH better off going with used Motorcraft than almost any rebuilt product.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Agreed. Nowadays it seems the junkyard is the place to go for higher quality parts!
Pitiful indeed...

Paul