• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power Issue

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, it has a sleeve on part of it. Should I unbundle it from the rest of the wires? Does it terminate on the plus side of the coil?

It does go to the positive side of the coil.
The "resistor" part is only under the dash though. Once it passes through the firewall, it becomes just regular old wire.

As for separating it. I don't know that you "have" to, but if it's not that big a deal, I would consider it at least. That would let it stay cooler and not heat up any of the other wires if it got hotter than normal.
If it was taped up with the rest originally though, then Ford didn't think it important enough to separate. Probably figured that the heat sleeve would be enough, and it probably is.
They do get pretty hot sometimes though, so take a look at it and see what you think.

Paul

OP
OP
tk1218

tk1218

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flower Mound
Final Issue, I hope.

When I turn the headlights on, the cluster lights pulse weakly. Ground issue?

If so, do I run a ground from the cluster to the firewall?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Could be a grounding problem. Try a ground to the firewall. Also look at the fuse (short fuse) clips for rust.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd say that'd make a huge difference. As long as whatever media you used didn't leave some sort of non-conductive surface coating, you should be golden.
I'd guess the only downside to it would be that the contacts would be much quicker to rust this time.
If they're copper contacts, that could take some time still. But if they're steel and were just coated with zinc or whatever, then they could rust quickly.

If they're steel then, just put some sort of protective coating on things when you put it back in. Dielectric grease maybe? Very messy if you have to change fuses a lot, but once you have everything dialed-in, you shouldn't have to replace any more fuses.
Maybe some sort of spray coating? WD-40 would work, but it wouldn't last long I'm thinking. That battery stuff would work too, but would be messier than the dielectric grease!

Anyway, good goin'. Let us know how it works.

Paul

OP
OP
tk1218

tk1218

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flower Mound
Thanks for all your help.

I put some dielectric grease on and they are now working. Everything is working except the turn signals. Even the heater fan.

The truck started right up with the changes made from above.