• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco paint job

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I paid a lot...I've done my best not to total up the final amount. If you can get a professional quality paint job for $8K jump on it (unless you are doing all the prep work). Looking forward to seeing pictures.

Last edited:

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
This thread is depressing, lol.....

And 20k for a good paint job in Cali....?

Geez....i haven't priced this stuff in a long time....it has really gotten away from me....i am hip to the mechanical and structural costs but prep and paint are blowing my mind.

Dpearce

I paid a lot...I've done my best not to total up the final amount. If you can get a professional quality paint job for $8K jump on it (unless you are doing all the prep work). Looking forward to seeing pictures.

LOL. I'm at about the same stage in the restomod as you - building a very similar rig. I stopped adding the totals as well. Now, it's just an obsession - and I've found the fun has been the whole build process. Not sure how long I will keep it after - could be forever - or a short time - I guess it depends on what I could get for it.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Dpearce stated
[Not sure how long I will keep it after - could be forever - or a short time - I guess it depends on what I could get for it.]

What I could get for mine only scares me at this point.....dont want to know.....dont want to sell...lol.

KBUCK1

I done all the body work on mine. Including, replacing lots of sheet metal, high build primer and months blocking it down. It cost me 3000 to have it sprayed and that was including them supplying the paint. I had hundreds of hours in prep. Probably close to 1000 hours as it was a learning process. The guy that painted it said he would have charged between 15 and 17 thousand had he done everything

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... WOW i'M WITH Most of you Bronco Brothers.
20K is outrageous ..
.. I started selling DUPONT PAINT IN 1967 AT MY PARTS STORE.
a pT. OF LUCITE PAINT WAS 75C.. tHEN IT WENT TO 95C .
... I don't know how many 100 & 300$ paint jobs I've been a part of.
& In 1995 when I got out of the business . I'd seen one or 2 paint jobs at 1500 to $2000.00.....
i can't believe they can cost 7000.00 now.
.......... 20K .... Hell move to a state that doesn't check on you . Do 4 paint jobs a year & live like a king.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I went down this path 6 months ago. It's like anything else, you can spend a little or go crazy and spend a lot. My body was in decent shape, didn't have any rust to deal and I really just wanted a color change. I had never painted before so I went with a single stage industrial paint with a matte finish. I would definitely consider this before rattle can. I spent about $400 total and it achieved exactly the look I wanted.

Attachments

• A334EE3F-679B-42D5-BDE0-8C3DF9C044BA (1).jpg
    A334EE3F-679B-42D5-BDE0-8C3DF9C044BA (1).jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG-0094.jpg
    IMG-0094.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG-0098.jpg
    IMG-0098.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG-0099.jpg
    IMG-0099.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 137

KBUCK1

I went down this path 6 months ago. It's like anything else, you can spend a little or go crazy and spend a lot. My body was in decent shape, didn't have any rust to deal and I really just wanted a color change. I had never painted before so I went with a single stage industrial paint with a matte finish. I would definitely consider this before rattle can. I spent about $400 total and it achieved exactly the look I wanted.
Nice job. I like it

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Wow! Great job BGBronco! Looks great! I probably should've went single stage since it was my first ever paint job, but I did all the work myself and did the traditional basecoat clearcoat and it came out ok. The hardest thing for me was all the wet sanding and buffing, very time consuming. ;)

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow! Great job BGBronco! Looks great! I probably should've went single stage since it was my first ever paint job, but I did all the work myself and did the traditional basecoat clearcoat and it came out ok. The hardest thing for me was all the wet sanding and buffing, very time consuming. ;)

That's the truth Amigo! I never kept track of the hours but it must have been a couple of hundred just wet sanding and buffing. I'm still going to take it to the detail shop and have the guy finish the little details. I'm freaking burned out on it!

CopperBronco

Reading this thread, curious what y’all think about how this guy says single stage is actually a better quality job, and that because the paint industry values speed and convenience over quality, they’ve created a really expensive industry that isn’t as good as industrial paint jobs where stopping rust is a priority. I’m automotive paint stupid, so curious what some experts here think:

https://benklesc.medium.com/when-paint-jobs-lasted-forever-the-lost-art-of-single-stage-9f99973befaf

Lt1Burb

We start at 15k and go up from there, but not enough hours in the day so turn lots away.

MKMcCoy

Veteran Young Guy
Loc.
30A, Inlet Beach, FL
This was around $10K... I painted the engine compartment.

New hood, new left fender, cut holes for marker lights, prep used grill and Right fender. Paint hardtop, and raptor line inside. Had to replace one door skin. Replace both rockers. Paint grill argent and install TBP stickers on FORD on tailgate. New glass in hardtop, windshield, and pass door.
Test fitting and adjusting the body mounts... He spent many hours on it and gave me a very reasonable price for it all.

It is not a simple process... Mine was a roller that had been taken apart.
Beautiful - love green with white.

MKMcCoy

Veteran Young Guy
Loc.
30A, Inlet Beach, FL
Is that 1971 only Seafoam Green - Ford paint code "O"? Looks fantastic.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
Reading this thread, curious what y’all think about how this guy says single stage is actually a better quality job, and that because the paint industry values speed and convenience over quality, they’ve created a really expensive industry that isn’t as good as industrial paint jobs where stopping rust is a priority. I’m automotive paint stupid, so curious what some experts here think:

https://benklesc.medium.com/when-paint-jobs-lasted-forever-the-lost-art-of-single-stage-9f99973befaf

i've read a similar article. i'd say there's some truth to it but also there have been a ton of advancements in paint applications over the years. a single stage does offer the benefits he mentions but IMO it's due to the amount of paint needed to cover a car entirely and have a thorough paint job. two stage paint requires less base because that base layer isn't what is protecting the car... it's the clear coat. that clear coat is layered by 2-3 coats. his argument for "it doesn't scratch." well we all know that isn't true. you can make clear coat just as hard too. any type of coating will scratch. a super hard finish just isn't practical for the consumer either. it is very hard to maintain. there is a happy medium and i've noticed all oem clear coats have different hardnesses too.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When the recession starts things will calm down a bit, but right now the shops are all at capacity and charging accordingly. The worst part is trying to find a shop without a year long back log if they even want to do it!

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
When the recession starts things will calm down a bit, but right now the shops are all at capacity and charging accordingly. The worst part is trying to find a shop without a year long back log if they even want to do it!
Now that is depressing. So much for my plans to do a cheap paint job on another vintage vehicle I was planning to paint. The red 71 now, that I went high zoot (media blasted, diaasembled, off the frame blah blah) about 10 years go now and that was back-then-expensive. Now I suspect I would be out of a lot more change. But surel, I thought, a cheap job would be doable for this less critical vehicle.

1970 Palmer

The major expense amount in doing a full paint job is not really in the materials used.

Don't get me wrong all the consumable materials used during a paint job are expensive, and still increasing in cost every day. One gallon of acetone for spray gun cleanup is over $20/gallon, 3M fine line plastic masking tape to do the two tone on your grill is $20/roll today, everything is two to three times more expensive than whatever you paid for it the last time you painted. But even with that said, you can still do a nice quality, good looking complete single stage factory original paint job for under $3K in painting materials even at todays inflated prices. I did my mail order TCP Global factory color matched paint job in California compliant materials and epoxy primers for much less than $3K.

Let's be honest, the budget killer is when you have to hire the work out to be done by a skilled shop/worker. Doing the panel replacement, gap alignments, takes hundreds of hours of "prep work", painting the inside and outside of every part off of the vehicle, taking your time to reassemble the body work, do all of the wiring to reinstall the dash, just eats up the time clock. The labor time spent actually spraying the paint is very small. The quality of the job is all in the prep work.

I think anyone that has done a full paint job by themself from start to completion will understand the hundreds of hours it takes to do a quality job. Multiply the man hours you required by any current labor rate and you will understand why many body shops will only do insurance crash repair work. They know they will lose money doing a full repaint even at $10K, $15K, or whatever number is quoted.

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
In the past I have never paid more than $3000 for materials for a high end frame off show quality paint job. We just completed one and the materials were $5500. Thank you, California... I agree with shimmy, a two stage paint job is just as good, probably better than single stage. Mark in San Diego, Beach City Broncos.