• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Figuring out the '69 'changeover' date

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
A question that has come up here numerous times and I've always wondered about was when Ford switched from the fold-down windshield latch/hook and vacuum wipers to the electric wipers on the '69 Broncos.

I've always assumed it was in the November/December '68 timeframe but haven't gotten real scientific in trying to pin down the dates.

My truck is an early Sept. '68 build and it of course was originally vacuum wipers.

On Friday, I looked at a Jan' 69 build truck that Randy at Driven 4x4 has just purchased. It has electric wipers.

On Saturday, I was in Petaluma at Baja Broncos Unlimited and Andrew is restoring a Nov '68 build with the fold-down hardware.

So we're narrowing it down. As Viper has done with his P's and Q's thread, I'd be curious to know what members have Nov/Dec '68 builds and what kind of configuration your truck has.

Todd Z.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I have a '69 with the vacuum wipers. What info do you need from it to determine build date?

I also have a '69 with electric wipers. Happy to give you the info for both if you tell me what you need.

slim811

Contributor
Gees! The things that keep us up at night. I also had an early 69 Sept build E01XXX as far as hardware it had the hand tightened dash retaining knobs. Converted 6 to a 302 so I guessing that's way it had electric wipers. Unfortunately the Bronco is no longer with us.
7c8f18a2a7ecddaeef503cfb87c6403f.png
Curious if any 69 electric wipers had any of the remaining dash knobs used up before switching to a bolt? Todd, is your 69 a 6 cylinder? I don't believe any 302 would come with vacuum wipers, but I've been proven wrong before. Good Luck! In your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just the VIN sequence I would think Justin. If you don't want the whole VIN to show, maybe just to the fifth and sixth digits? Which should be the last letter and then the first number.

What other stuff was changing about that time as well Todd? We've discussed sidemarker lights and front turn signals before (large vs small) and stuff like that. I wonder what other stuff under the hood might have changed?

And when did they change from the early to late hard tops? It was in those years, but when? Maybe the same time as the wiper change?
The easiest way to tell the difference between the two is the rear liftgate weather seal has squared-off upper corners, whereas the newer ones were more gently curved along a flange what was welded in after the fact.

Good call Todd. Let's track this down.

Paul

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I currently have a Nov-68 build 1969 Bronco. 25349 series number

It originally from the factory has:
Large Windshield Knobs not bolts
Vacuum Wipers
Fold-Down windshield with Clip and Earlier Hood.
Larger 69+ Grill Turn Signals

I have had 3 other 69s and all were later build dates and all had Electric Wipers.

I guessing Ford went to Electric Wipers in Jan of 1969.

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I have a '69 with the vacuum wipers. What info do you need from it to determine build date?

I also have a '69 with electric wipers. Happy to give you the info for both if you tell me what you need.

Yes, as Paul noted - the VINs are helpful. With them, we can easily tell which month - I figured we wouldn't get it down to the day unless a bunch of people had Marti's.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Gees! The things that keep us up at night. I also had an early 69 Sept build E01XXX as far as hardware it had the hand tightened dash retaining knobs. Converted 6 to a 302 so I guessing that's way it had electric wipers. Unfortunately the Bronco is no longer with us.
Curious if any 69 electric wipers had any of the remaining dash knobs used up before switching to a bolt? Todd, is your 69 a 6 cylinder? I don't believe any 302 would come with vacuum wipers, but I've been proven wrong before. Good Luck! In your search.

My truck originally had those knobs on it too. Mine's a 302.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
What other stuff was changing about that time as well Todd? We've discussed sidemarker lights and front turn signals before (large vs small) and stuff like that. I wonder what other stuff under the hood might have changed?

And when did they change from the early to late hard tops? It was in those years, but when? Maybe the same time as the wiper change?
The easiest way to tell the difference between the two is the rear liftgate weather seal has squared-off upper corners, whereas the newer ones were more gently curved along a flange what was welded in after the fact.

Good call Todd. Let's track this down.

Paul

I would guess the hardtop change was the same time as the wiper change.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I currently have a Nov-68 build 1969 Bronco. 25349 series number

It originally from the factory has:
Large Windshield Knobs not bolts
Vacuum Wipers
Fold-Down windshield with Clip and Earlier Hood.
Larger 69+ Grill Turn Signals

I have had 3 other 69s and all were later build dates and all had Electric Wipers.

I guessing Ford went to Electric Wipers in Jan of 1969.

Thanks for your info - another good piece of data. Now if we could find some Dec 68 builds, we could pin it down further.

Todd Z.

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
According to my Marti report Mine was built in 68. I have vacuum wipers and fold down window mine is a 69.

IMPORTANT DATES
ORDER RECEIVED: 10/16/68
CAR SERIALIZED: --
BUCKED: --
SCHEDULED FOR BUILD: 11/16/68
ACTUALLY BUILT: 11/14/68
RELEASED: 11/15/68
SOLD: 12/23/68

69broncofun

Bronco Guru

Mine came with a 302.

U15 U-100 Bronco 4x4 Wagon
G 302-2V Engine
L Built at Michigan Truck
E30742 Serial Number of this Bronco scheduled for
production at Michigan Truck
092 Wheelbase (inches)
T Candyapple Red Paint
U152 U-100 Bronco Wagon 4700 Lb. GVW
9U Parchment Rosette Bucket Seats w/Rear Seat
C 3-Speed Manual Transmission
B9J 3.50 Limited Slip Rear Axle with Dana 30
Limited-Slip Front Axle

71 Los Angeles DSO (District Sales Office)
ORDER TYPE: STOCK
DSO ITEM #: 9489
DEALER #: 71E063
HUNTINGTON MOTOR INC
55 W HUNTINGTON
ARCADIA CA 91006
IMPORTANT DATES
STATISTICS
Your vehicle was one of:
2,855 With this Paint Code
1,823 With these Paint/Trim Codes
15,200 With these Engine/Transmission Codes
1,434 Ordered from this DSO
4,449 With Sport Bronco Package
For the 1969 U-100 Bronco 4x4 Wagon
Your vehicle was equipped with the following features:
- Skid Plates
- Dana 30 Limited-Slip Front Axle
- 9.15x15-4 Ply Rated Black Sidewall Tires
- Swing-Away Spare Tire Carrier
- Right Hand Chrome Mirror
- Rocker Panel Moldings
- Bodyside Moldings
- Manual AM Radio
- Free Running Front Hubs
- Extra Cooling Radiator
- Heavy Duty 70 Amp Battery
- Sport Bronco Package
Your vehicle was actually produced on November 14, 1968 -- two days ahead of schedule.

IMPORTANT DATES

STATISTICS
Your vehicle was one of:
2,855 With this Paint Code
1,823 With these Paint/Trim Codes
15,200 With these Engine/Transmission Codes
1,434 Ordered from this DSO
4,449 With Sport Bronco Package
For the 1969 U-100 Bronco 4x4 Wagon

slim811

Contributor
Todd , I like it when I'm proven wrong. It's when I'm right that I worry. Early 302's had a mechanical fuel pump with vacuum like the 289. It will be interesting to see if the 6 and 8 cylinder have the same switch over month. Did Ford just pick a date or they did the changeover based upon when the supply of vacuum fuel pumps was depleted?

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Did Ford just pick a date or they did the changeover based upon when the supply of vacuum fuel pumps was depleted?

I wish I knew the answer to that question! It's extremely difficult to nail down a lot of this info because Ford seems to have been pretty inconsistent with a lot of their changes (I find this a lot with the newer rigs too).

Todd Z.

RVB

Contributor
Todd -

I bought a '69 new in the fall of 1968. U15GLE16535. Purchased from Arnold Brothers Ford in Boulder, Colorado. It had the fold down windshield and vacuum wipers. I don't know when it was built, but I think I bought it in November of 1968. I wish I knew if it is still alive somewhere.

Rex Blackwell