• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which LED off road bumper lights?

BoulderBronco22

I am trying to figure out which direction to go on purchasing a couple of smaller LED lights for the front bumper. I am already planning on purchasing the LUX Micro LED lights that magnetically attach to the undercarriage to give me some additional light. I am going to have a customer bumper designed and I would like to keep it relatively simplistic and clean. My thoughts were just 2 lights of about 2" x 3" on either side of the winch fairlead. I also plan to have them inset on the bumper rather than mounted above.

I don't do a lot of night wheeling (I am in CO and it gets a little cold at night in the mountains). So here are my questions:

- Will 2 of these smaller lights still put out some decent rock crawling light if needed?
- I notice that there are FLOOD and SPOT type lights. Anyone have an opinion on which ones to go with if I am only planning on having minimal?
- Finally- the pricing is all over the place. I could spend $25 or $250 on these things. I can tell you I have NO interest in paying a ton of money for lights that I will hardly ever use, but as these will be exposed to the front of the Bronco, I don't want to by some cheapos that will get discolored or chipped in the first 3 months of driving.

Anyone have links to any they HIGHLY recommend?

Thanks in advance...

Mike

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Rigid and Lightforce are the only two companies I know of that will actually publish the beam patterns for there lights.

Rigid even has a line of SAE/DOT lights. So you get lights you can use on the road on a frequent basis instead of just lights that are only good off-road.

Neither are cheap, but both are good.

I know people who buy the cheap china light bars. They fail, often water intrusion. But the theory goes they can have several lights fail and still not spend as much as a big name light. For a light bar that can cost over $1k I understand. But for small lights, and something that the bumper will be custom built to hold, get good lights. I have a 3 LED Rigid (forget which model) on the motorcycle as an off-road headlight and it works very nice and under $100.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would stick with a quality light, and probably mount one flood and one spot to either side of the winch fairlead, that way you get the benefits of both when winching or wheeling. If you want something for fog or use while driving, then you should be looking at DOT options designed for such use IMO. All the Rigid stuff I've seen has been very nice...most of the cheap stuff, not so much.

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
I’ve used these for a couple years off road, on my tractor, B/U lights on Bronco trailer and on our slide in camper, very happy with them.

KAWELL® 2-Pack 18w 1260 Lm Cree Spot Led Work Light Bar LED Off Road LED Work Light Worklamp Spot Beam ATV SUV Jeep Mine Boat Lamp
Touch the image to zoom in
Kawell
KAWELL® 2-Pack 18w 1260 Lm Cree Spot Led Work Light Bar LED Off Road LED Work Light Worklamp Spot Beam ATV SUV Jeep Mine Boat Lamp
4.4 out of 5 stars 483 customer reviews | 81 answered questions
Price: $26.99 & FREE Shipping. Details
In Stock.
Want it tomorrow, Nov. 22? Order within 17 hrs 10 mins and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. Details
Sold by KAWELL and Fulfilled by Amazon. Gift-wrap available.

ame

Baja Designs also makes some very nice light, I like them a little more then Rigid though both are great options. I have the Rigid DOT approved D2 lights and they work good but not great off road as they do not throw light very far. Unless you are going fast off road I would stick with a flood pattern as its much more usable light then one spot far out.

If you drive in a lot of snow and fog then an Amber film or cover really helps with glare, I have (8) 3"x3" pods in my bumper (aside from the Rigid's) rated at 40watts /3500 lumens a pc and find that the Amber is much easier on my eyes then bright white.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have rigid in my front and cheaper totrons in my rear, both are recessed into the bumper, honestly they have similar light output.

Attachments

• 20171111_160310508_iOS.jpg
    20171111_160310508_iOS.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 72

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
And now i am gonna mount one there thanks lol

The surface is not truly flat so I made a spacer out of a black plastic sheet.... And it was a new bumper, so I did reinforcements as well...

Attachments

• IMG_20161114_143940621.jpg
    IMG_20161114_143940621.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20161114_143953102.jpg
    IMG_20161114_143953102.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20161112_175358080.jpg
    IMG_20161112_175358080.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 40