• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Buying Radius Arm Bushings for 76

Bill R

I need radius arm bushings for the frame end for both sides of my 76. I found a kit online at Advance Auto made by Moog for $30.99 (w) free shipping. The kit contains (2) bushings, (2) washers and (1) cotter pin for each side. There are several less expensive choices but they are store brands or brands unknown to me. I don't care to throw money away but I also don't want to get an inferior product. I am certainly open to buying from the Bronco suppliers. This Bronco will be used mainly on streets and highways with possibly some use on dirt roads or fields. Any suggestions? Thanks.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't know if we've tested the different brands extensively enough to know whether one or another is consistently good or bad unfortunately. As far as rubber-vs-polyurethane, there have even been mixed results with those. Where some swear by poly and others have had them fail quickly.

I like poly but continue to use rubber in that one position just to isolate a little more road noise and let them flex more. I personally have not had them wear out prematurely, but never had any of my local buddies wear out there poly bushings either.
Where as several members here have had short-lived poly setups and gone back to rubber.

Not sure I've ever heard of any rubbers failing miserably though, so you would likely be ok with any of the ones you can find.
We (Wild Horses that is) sell both styles but I don't know who makes our rubber ones. Luckily we have not had any complaints about their early demise lately that I'm aware of. If we have though, likely someone here will remember and report in.
With the rubber we have, they're intended for a lifted Bronco since they have offsets to let them sit in a more neutral position when at ride-height.
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Bronco_Bushings

Is your vehicle lifted?

Paul

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, when I need parts I would much rather have a name brand like Moog. You didn't say if your keeping the Bronco mainly stock. If you prefer more original the rubber bushings are the way to go. My 66 has a lift kit with poly bushings and I am very happy with it. Many years ago I needed bushings in an 84 Bronco and installed a poly bushing kit. I didn't like the handling and in less than 6 months put all rubber bushings back in. Good luck

OP
OP
B

Bill R

I don't know if we've tested the different brands extensively enough to know whether one or another is consistently good or bad unfortunately. As far as rubber-vs-polyurethane, there have even been mixed results with those. Where some swear by poly and others have had them fail quickly.

I like poly but continue to use rubber in that one position just to isolate a little more road noise and let them flex more. I personally have not had them wear out prematurely, but never had any of my local buddies wear out there poly bushings either.
Where as several members here have had short-lived poly setups and gone back to rubber.

Not sure I've ever heard of any rubbers failing miserably though, so you would likely be ok with any of the ones you can find.
We (Wild Horses that is) sell both styles but I don't know who makes our rubber ones. Luckily we have not had any complaints about their early demise lately that I'm aware of. If we have though, likely someone here will remember and report in.
With the rubber we have, they're intended for a lifted Bronco since they have offsets to let them sit in a more neutral position when at ride-height.
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Bronco_Bushings

Is your vehicle lifted?

Paul

I don't know if my Bronco is lifted or not. The PO replaced front and rear springs, shocks and C bushings but I don't know if it was lifted. I have read on this forum that you can take measurements to determine that but I have not done so. How important is it to use bushings with an offset if it is lifted? Thanks for the information, Bill R (1 on a scale of 1 to 10 on EB knowledge)

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
While it is possible to replace the radius arm bushings without messing with the C-bushings it's not easy or recommended. For the price of a 14 piece kit you knock out the whole front end. If your Cs are still rubber defiantly do the kit.

Just my preference but I'll take rubber at the radius arm to frame brackets and urethane on the Cs and track bar.

Jim's .02

OP
OP
B

Bill R

While it is possible to replace the radius arm bushings without messing with the C-bushings it's not easy or recommended. For the price of a 14 piece kit you knock out the whole front end. If your Cs are still rubber defiantly do the kit.

Just my preference but I'll take rubber at the radius arm to frame brackets and urethane on the Cs and track bar.

Jim's .02

The C bushings are newer urethane bushings but the frame bushings were not replaced at the time and they are in bad shape.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I'm one of those that have had the poly donuts fail a number of times on rough trails. When I do get them in the kits, they go straight to the trash.
I guess they may work for a street only car, but why build that way?
I normally use the over-the-counter Moog rubber ones, but WH does carry a set with an angle build in for higher lifts.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't know if my Bronco is lifted or not. The PO replaced front and rear springs, shocks and C bushings but I don't know if it was lifted. I have read on this forum that you can take measurements to determine that but I have not done so.

You might as well when you get a chance though. Just one more bit of information that could come in handy when trying to figure out which direction to go with your rig.
Yes, measuring is easy between the top of the axle tube and the bottom of the frame rail. Stock is considered to be "approximately" 7" in front and 6" in the back.
Anything within a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of those would be stock, or stock-ish. Anything 1" or more above that would be lifted, and anything more than 1/2" below that would be sagged older springs. Since yours are new that should not be an issue.

How important is it to use bushings with an offset if it is lifted?

It's not always a huge deal on a stock Bronco by the book, but it still can be. And often is due to the inconsistency of the front axle builds from Dana originally. Not to mention 40-50 years of use/abuse these things have been through.
The C-bushing offset is to correct caster numbers after a lift. Unfortunately most early Early Broncos didn't have good caster numbers to begin with. It's hit or miss, which is why many of us recommend getting an alignment printout as your Bronco sits, even before it's modified. This way you know what you're dealing with and whether or not bigger offsets would be desirable.

More specifically, the factory specifications for our Broncos was 2.5° to 4.25° positive caster. Where 4.5 to 6 would be more desirable from a stability standpoint, most barely made the 2.5 rating stock. After a lift it's just worse.
The reason it was not much of a deal back when they were new was that with manual steering more caster is harder to steer. Less is easier. And with stock tiny tires being very forgiving, most people did not have any trouble with the stock specifications.
Add a lift and bigger tires and wanting it to handle more like a modern truck instead of the 50+ year old design that it is just makes it more important.
But to get to the good numbers you need power steering first. If you have that, more caster is better at least up to a point.

So yes, offset C-bushings can be a big help even on a stock height Bronco if there was not much positive caster to begin with.
How much you need depends on what you have now.

Bill R (1 on a scale of 1 to 10 on EB knowledge)

We've all been there! Some of us just had a head start on you is all.;D

Paul