• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

FI Tech to Sniper

g-71

Has anyone switched from FI Tech to Holley Sniper ? I am very unhappy with my FI Tech, looking to go with Holley Sniper.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Why are you unhappy with the FiTech? All the TB injection systems are basically the same. I haven't heard of anyone saying one is better than the other. In a few years from now none of these will be supported by their manufacturer. Just like the old Holley Projection.

Mark

Digger556

I'd be curious to know what you didn't like about FI Tech as well.

I'm with garberz in that long term support for these systems is a big unknown. I ended up building a Megasquirt with a generic FAST throttle body that uses GM factory sensors. I carry a spare for any component that can't be sourced easily from a parts store and the system can be upgrade if some parts become obsolete.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Might want to reconsider, my research is if you are unhappy with fitech you will be worse with sniper as it uses a different sense port setup which will probably make some things worse.

What is it doing?

What has tech support told you?

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Sorry no answer on your question, but like others have asked, why do you NOT like the FiTech? Or what problems are you having?

I'd like to know because I am about to pull the trigger on a FiTech for my 71 bronco or my 78 F250...

If you are just done with it for your own reasons and want to sale it, PM me.

Last edited:

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
We have four in our group and they all work flawlessly.

Don't run their command center garbage, it is the biggest source of their issues.
If you engine doesn't run well before you install the EFI, don't expect it to fix all of your issues.
Follow the install instructions and guides to a T -
Exhaust leaks are the BIGGEST culprit of a poorly running conversion right after improper grounds.

OP
OP
G

g-71

Let me start by saying I do not want to bash FI Tech. My bronco has never run better. I really like the ability to program out what I don't like (popping on decel, etc) and program what I do want. What is annoying the heck out of me is the customer service. Other than a temp sensor issue (mine was reading about 20-25 degrees low) I had an issue with my handheld not working. After about a month of almost daily phone calls I got a new one, it doesn't work. FI Tech sent me another new handheld, still doesn't work. Now they are telling me they want me to send them the whole unit, they also said they would email me how, when, and where to return it. It's been over a week and no email. Their customer service is NOT very good in my opinion.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Let me start by saying I do not want to bash FI Tech. My bronco has never run better. I really like the ability to program out what I don't like (popping on decel, etc) and program what I do want. What is annoying the heck out of me is the customer service. Other than a temp sensor issue (mine was reading about 20-25 degrees low) I had an issue with my handheld not working. After about a month of almost daily phone calls I got a new one, it doesn't work. FI Tech sent me another new handheld, still doesn't work. Now they are telling me they want me to send them the whole unit, they also said they would email me how, when, and where to return it. It's been over a week and no email. Their customer service is NOT very good in my opinion.

Yeah - I think their company grew faster than they could ever imagine and are having a hard time dealing with it. No excuse though -

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
sorry i'm not impressed by their customer service from the issue i've been dealing with either. sad to say but first and last time i'll be buying from them.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Got the same impression at SEMA. Holley was very transparent. The rep pointed to one of the phone tech help guys that was attending the show. They had a demo on the floor that you could play with the software. As oddball questions (like if there was a way to make canister purge work) and we had a good brainstorming session on how to make the Nitrous controller adapt over into purge control. The FiTech booth was a lot more eye candy, the step above entry level had the carb look down perfect. Three deuce holley carb intake (FE and Chrysler) looked great. But toss a couple of technical questions at them and no one there had any idea, got a card of "call this number and talk to ..."

Couple of people in the office have this stuff on a couple of project cars. They both run great. I even downloaded both instruction manuals. The Holley was better written.

I'll be pulling the trigger on the Sniper sooner or later, depending on what the accountant says in the next couple of weeks. I just can't find anything about the FiTech that makes me want it (besides the better looks). I am more of a form over function person anyway. A good air cleaner setup and you really won't see it anyway.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
sorry i'm not impressed by their customer service from the issue i've been dealing with either. sad to say but first and last time i'll be buying from them.

got to learn the hard way sometimes right

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I'm supporting them because without them there would be fewer OVERPRICED options out there - they really shook the industry up and made them get off their asses.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I'm supporting them because without them there would be fewer OVERPRICED options out there - they really shook the industry up and made them get off their asses.

I agree totally. I was checking into both the Sniper and Fitech. There is a lot on the internet about the Fitech and almost all the problems were misunderstanding the install procedure. I too was disappointed with the customer service when I would try to call them, could never get through. But with all the info on the internet now about them a lot of the problems can be resolved. I went ahead and got the Fitech and hope it works out well. Ken

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Lots of talk recently on the Texas mailing list on the Sniper - 3 or 4 have been recently installed and all are getting good reviews. Also a writeup with pics on the Sniper in the latest LEBC Newsletter. (Link to the newsletter is in the right column.)

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I agree totally. I was checking into both the Sniper and Fitech. There is a lot on the internet about the Fitech and almost all the problems were misunderstanding the install procedure. I too was disappointed with the customer service when I would try to call them, could never get through. But with all the info on the internet now about them a lot of the problems can be resolved. I went ahead and got the Fitech and hope it works out well. Ken

I just installed a FiTech 600 on my buddies Bronco. Installation was simple. There's a lot of good info on FB. FiTech owners group and FiTech users group.

Mark

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I like the FiTech and use them only because they were first in the affordable TBI and on the looks. I have taken the time, be it a lot of time, to learn the system and though I would not consider myself an expert, I am very comfortable in getting them running and tuned in. I have looked at the Holley system and they look nice but I have dealt with their tech support in the past on a fast system and was hours on hold to get to talk to someone and learned quickly then you get better tech info from third party users than the manufacturer. I will be the first to say that FiTech needs a shit ton of CS improvement because of how they handled Nick's issue etc. it would not take much for me to switch if that happened to me. The only savings grace I had was I have several units on the shelf so I can quickly try things to trouble shoot and move on but I run the same system on everything to date so that helps some. I do think they are still experiencing growing pains and they are a lot better today than they were 2 years ago when I first bought my unit. I just hope they don't piss me off to the point I have to switch and start the learning process all over again.