Bronco Hut    

Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts   Toms Bronco Parts   BC Broncos
Community
 Message Forum
 Photo Gallery
 Event Calendar
 Book Reviews
 Bronco Wallpaper
 Bronco FAQ
 Link Back to CB!
 600+ Bronco Links!

Search all Bronco Links
Buy / Sell
 Classifieds / Want Ads
 Vendor Forum
James Duff
Rust Bullet
Sexton Offroad
Bronco Tech
Recent Tech Articles
 •Holley Carb Tips
 •Aussie Locker
 •C6 203 205 Doubler
 •4 Link
 •Clutch Replacement
 •Early Turn Signals
 •C4 Improvements
 •Threaded Dipstick
 •NV3550 5 spd
     More Tech...
Ford Bronco Parts - Classic Vintage Early Bronco Parts

Welcome to the ClassicBroncos.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a GUEST which limits your access to viewing only. To take advantage of all the forum features please take a moment to register. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact the admin. If you've lost your password click here.

Go Back   ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat

Old 09/16/18, 09:45 AM   #1
ChrisR

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all. -H. Keller

Henderson, TX

My Gallery
Garage
2001 Explorer 5.0 4WD w/200k--worth buying?

My '71 still has the factory 302 in it. I know the PO put in a cam, but I don't know what other work has been done to the motor. I am running a newly-built (less than 500 mi) AOD w/4R70w gearing. Have new shorty headers, too. No body lift.

Last night, our babysitter pulled up in a 2001 Explorer 5.0 4WD that just turned over 200k mi. She has had it for the last 7 years, and it's her daily driver. Said she hasn't had any problems. Told me that she thought she was "hearing a noise, got the oil changed, and now it's fine." Think I can get the Explorer for about $1,000.

BIG QUESTIONS: Should I be scared of the mileage? Is the '01 a good donor (have read about the different heads)? Is a 200k Explorer swap better than the bolt-ons? Will I have to have body lift?

I am not a mechanic, but I have buddies that are and have done a Mustang swap recently. Please give me any advice or suggestion you might have. THANKS!

Last edited by ChrisR; 09/16/18 at 10:20 AM..
ChrisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/18, 10:44 AM   #2
BroncoChicken
Contributor

“Buddy”

Denver, CO
Garage
Chris,
The Explorer EFI system is better than any of the bolt on throttle body kits. Period.

Are you planning to have the motor rebuilt? My buddy’s explorer donor had 160k. He dropped it off at the machine shop expecting a full rebuild, but the crosshatching was still visible in the cylinders and the bearings all looked good. I would do the same. It’s easier to rebuild now if needed than pulling it all out again later. The GT40P heads are great if your headers fit. Where’d you get the headers? I have a 1” body lift and there were two things I needed to fix for hood clearance. The coil pack bracket needs to be cut down and the power steering reservoir should be moved down and back a bit. EFIGuy did the harness and computer tune, runs like a champ.

1975 Bronco Sport, 302/Viperbuilt C4/D20, Explorer EFI tuned by EFIGuy, More Patina than Paint...built with the help of the members of Colorado Classic Broncos
BroncoChicken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/18, 01:10 PM   #3
ChrisR

Henderson, TX

My Gallery
Garage
Thank you for the information. I would definitely want to get it checked out and assessed for a rebuild; good advice. I bought the headers from WH; from what I've seen the GT40P heads will require different headers. Thank you for the mod breakdown, and I will definitely look into the EFIGuy before diving into it. Thanks again!
Old 09/16/18, 08:48 PM   #4
Tiko433
Contributor
Bronco Guru

R.I.P Tiko

Chesapeake, Va

My Gallery
Garage
I would buy it ..., I pulled my 97 Explorer motor with 180K on it . Bought the whole truck bad trans but the motor would run I did a compression test, all tested good . I was going to rebuild the motor but decided to put the money elsewhere for the swap. It adds up. Anyway several thousand miles later that motor is still going strong. I did pull the oil pan and valve covers very clean inside, well taken care of. I put a new oil pump, T chain and water pump on it. I’m using BH shorties for my GT40P heads.

74 97 Explorer Gt40P , ECU and harness worked by EFI Guy ,AX15, PS, PB Duff 3 1/2 , 3 in body, 33s ,4.56grs
A tribute to Tiko http://www.k9memorialcards.com/k9s/k9-tiko/
"fidelis ad finem"
Tiko433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/16/18, 09:35 PM   #5
fishinman78
Contributor

I bought my last two explorers for $400 and $450. The first one had 220k the second one had 180k. I am in Oregon and they come up for $750 all the time. I think $1000 might be a little too much. That is just my opinion though.
fishinman78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/17/18, 07:42 AM   #6
ChrisR

Henderson, TX

My Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiko433 View Post
I would buy it ..., I pulled my 97 Explorer motor with 180K on it . Bought the whole truck bad trans but the motor would run I did a compression test, all tested good . I was going to rebuild the motor but decided to put the money elsewhere for the swap. It adds up. Anyway several thousand miles later that motor is still going strong. I did pull the oil pan and valve covers very clean inside, well taken care of. I put a new oil pump, T chain and water pump on it. I’m using BH shorties for my GT40P heads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinman78 View Post
I bought my last two explorers for $400 and $450. The first one had 220k the second one had 180k. I am in Oregon and they come up for $750 all the time. I think $1000 might be a little too much. That is just my opinion though.
Tiko and Fishinman, thank you for your input. I really appreciate it. Probably worth digging into service history, doing a compression check, and investigating the truck a little further. I can also see how low I could negotiate a price. If the motor, trans, and price are right, even if I don't put it in for a while or at all, it's worth the purchase. Could always offer it up to a Bronco brother/sister if I don't use it. Thanks, guys!
Old 09/18/18, 05:48 AM   #7
1strodeo
Contributor
U15 Apprentice

Fix,Drive,Modify,Repeat

Centerville, OH
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
She has had it for the last 7 years, and it's her daily driver. Said she hasn't had any problems
then why would she wanna sell it? she won't find another reliable daily driver for $1k

1966 LUBR, 170 3spd, 2.5" SL, 1" BL, 31's Tonko

1972 U15, 302 3spd, 3.5" SL, 1" BL, 35's Frankie
1strodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/18, 12:20 PM   #8
ChrisR

Henderson, TX

My Gallery
Garage
It was her high school/college car. She graduated and has taught for the last year or two. She just wants something nicer.
Old 09/18/18, 08:09 PM   #9
JSmall
Contributor
Bronco Guru

No end in sight!!!

McMinnville, OR

My Gallery
Garage
97 with 180k. Headed to the machine shop to determine what it needs, but the cylinder walls and bearings look good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0E901F93-4300-4130-A5B2-7316701AB99F.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	460799  

JSmall is online now   Reply With Quote

ClassicBroncos.com Forums > 66-77 Ford Bronco > Bronco Chat