• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which crate engine and where?

Tidewater

Finally getting back to my 76 Bronco. It needs an engine and I'm not getting takers on the rebuild. I'm not a mechanic myself either, at all.

I have been told to get a crate engine. The engine that came in the Bronco was a standard 302. I'd like to get a crate 302 that has a little more than stock performance. Which companies should I be looking at for this engine?

cannunz546

Contributor
Bronco Owner and Admirer
Loc.
Northwest Suburbs, Chicago
I bought from the guys at engine factory (a family business) and love the performance. I swapped out my 302 for the same engine size but the new engine has 400hp. Lot's of torque, too. I have two other engines from them and all have been terrific.

OP
OP
Tidewater

Tidewater

I bought from the guys at engine factory (a family business) and love the performance. I swapped out my 302 for the same engine size but the new engine has 400hp. Lot's of torque, too. I have two other engines from them and all have been terrific.

I just checked them out. Most of what they have is pretty high end I think.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
ATK and Blueprint are about equal. I would look at what's easier to deal with in your area for any warranty work for either.

crankman

ATK and Blueprint are about equal. I would look at what's easier to deal with in your area for any warranty work for either.
I agree my shop that did my engine change used Jasper and they warrantied it. Its been 2 years and trouble free.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Those are three great builders.

ATK
Blueprint
Jasper

I have had a Jasper, outstanding....

I still have an ATK short block in the eb, also outstanding, 25+ years and going strong.

What I really want now is a Blueprint 408W.
Good bang for your buck.

nsiti

Those are three great builders.

ATK
Blueprint
Jasper

I have had a Jasper, outstanding....

I still have an ATK short block in the eb, also outstanding, 25+ years and going strong.

What I really want now is a Blueprint 408W.
Good bang for your buck.

The Blueprint engines seem well made for the price, and I see that they have introduced a vintage looking 306ci that puts out 375hp and 350 ft/lb of torque. Would you mind educating me as to why you highlight their 408W, and what would be the pro's and con's vs a smaller displacement engine?

Also, what do you look for in the torque curve for our Bronco's? Is a special cam recommended?

Thanks!

PS - sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, but I find the idea of one day replacing my stock engine with one of these muscular engines to be quite appealing.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
The Blueprint 408 is popular with this crowd here on CB and this crowd is quite the test bed. If normal people can kill an engine in 10 years with 250,000 miles on it, these yahoo's will do it in 5 years with 50,000 miles on it.
Some of these guys really walk the walk, if ya know what I mean?
They actually rock crawl and desert race, and mud drag. Real McCoys here.
The other side of it is the Hot Rod community seems to like Blueprint, sort of finicky crowd that doesn't like new comers, they are another crowd that really beats on their cars at the drag strip. High praise from that crowd.

But again Blue print has high dollar "and" budget friendly builds.
The 408 is a way to get maximum practical cubic inches in a sbf. Blueprint allows you to pick a cam and valve train that will promote low end torque. This is really important as most crate engines hang their hat on high rpm horsepower. But in an eb you want good torque down low on the tac.
My Windsor (sbf) is built for low end torque. Its pretty much done making power by 4500 rpm or less.

Low rpm high torque engines are more usable, more fun and more tractable in a short little eb.
Off road torque is king. It is fun.
Torque is what pushes you back in the seat.
The 408 is my next build. Sort of looking for an excuse.

BluePrint

Hey Guys,

Glad to answer any questions you have. With our 50k mile, 30 mo warranty we like to think we offer a pretty good piece of mind, and horsepower per $.

As noted above we have a ton of 302's 306's 347's and 408's out there in the bronco community. We also sell a complete line of add on parts like ready to run distributors, fuel pumps, starters, alternators, to finish off our long blocks if a customer goes that route.

best luck on the project either way!!

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
For the slight price bump I would look at that 408 long block and slap a RPM air gap and a carb on it for some serious tire sizzling power.

Broncobowsher

Total hack

Your mechanic doesn't know that it will take a lot of work either way. The 347 crate motors come in the new balance. Which is going to leave you chasing differences between early and late model engines.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
OP
OP
Tidewater

Tidewater

Your mechanic doesn't know that it will take a lot of work either way. The 347 crate motors come in the new balance. Which is going to leave you chasing differences between early and late model engines.

Thank you.

OP
OP
Tidewater

Tidewater

Is the engine in the link I provided the correct engine? Summit has free shipping on those engines.