• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco in Norway

krdale

Loc.
Norway
I've finally gotten started on the Bronco! I used to live in the US and have been looking for one in Norway for about a year or so.. There's been two for sale in all of Norway the past year and i bid on both and got the second one.. It's a 1977 - which was imported all the way back in 1977 which is rare to see on classic cars in Norway. The PO had bought the car as a project but never got around to get started so he flipped it to me. It is in reasonable shape mechanically, has a disaster of a wiring setup and a few dents and scratches on the paint job. It also had a FORD BRONCO sticker on the windshield which cost me half a nail but is now gone..

I bought the car unseen but had an local garage give it a "EU check", which is required for all cars on the road in EU + Norway and it came back with about 20 minor issues that has to be fixed before its road ready... When i get the car on the lift i will take some photos of the underside(?).

My plan is to get the car road ready as soon as I can so that i can enjoy some of the summer, then i can get into deeper work over the winter.. Im lucky enough to have a brother who has restored a few jeep's so i have a fully equipped garage with a fully trained hobby mechanic and his fridge at my disposal :)

My initial work list is roughly:

- the first thing i did was to get rid of the hardtop.. a new bestop is waiting to be installed. Ive put the old one in storage for now..
- New steering column has arrived... the old one was a mess.. So i tore out the old one.. Which had me take off the dash and fold down the window.. Not sure if that was neded but its down. For some reason i decided to get rid of the column shifter and ordered a floorshifter setup with a Winters shifter. I didnt really think that through as i realise i loose floor space..and my rig will be mostly for cruising...But i thought it would look cooler and be easier to operate.. I also had to get a new wheel.. got a OEM replacement.

I havent put in the new column yet, as i am rolling on with the wiring kit first. the old wiring setup was a complete mess with only the most basic functions (ignition) working.. I have a fresh painless kit waiting in the garage..

- The heater is also a mess, most of the cables were disconnected and a few parts are done. As you can see on the photo the foam part(seal) around the small radiator has completely disintegrated.. So i am browsing myself mad at TBP trying to locate the correct replacements as a few other things are also replacement ready. Adding up all the parts for the heating system i think i have to replace has allready summed up to 300bucks.. add VAT and freight to norway and its expensive heat.. but it gets cold here in the winters..

Has anyone replaced the entire heating set altogether with something fresh and new which is easier ? Or should i just fix my original one?

My speedo also appear toast, i want to get a dakota digital but as i need kmh they need 6 weeks to build one.. and i dont want to wait 8 weeks to get my car on the road.. so i am going to see if we can get the old one to work sufficiently for the EU test.. then i can replace the old one later...

Next up the following sessions:

- complete wiring harness install..
- install floor shifter and steering column.
- install Basic roll bar, i got the basic 4 point roll bar, i think it will suit my ride best and lets me use a bikini top for the hotter days.
- replace the old carb which is leaking and the auto choke doesnt seem to work properly.. But my brother has one off the shelf were going to use with manual choke. For the restoration round 2 i will look at EFI and if i have some cash burning in my pockets lift a new engine..
- install bestop
-fix a bunch of tiny issues..

first question.. How do i insert the photos within my text without having to manually hyperlink them?

wish me luck!

Attachments

• IMG_3926.jpg
    IMG_3926.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_3321.jpg
    IMG_3321.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_3329.jpg
    IMG_3329.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_3331.jpg
    IMG_3331.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_3332.jpg
    IMG_3332.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_3340.jpg
    IMG_3340.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_3343.jpg
    IMG_3343.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 213

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Welcome. Looks like you have a great platform to start with.

And we think shipping costs are high!

Since you are a contributor did you try using the upload photos button to download pictures? Keep them coming.

Projp

Fjord or Ford?

Attachments

• Fords of Norway.jpg
    Fords of Norway.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 177

D.R.Y.

Loc.
The Netherlands
Nice ride, hard to find anywhere but especially in Europe. I rebuilt my complete heating unit, and it works great. If you do make sure you buy the stronger heater motor you we see & feel the difference and you will need it.
I also installed the floor shifter and it doesn't take to much room. I heated and bent my shifter arm a bit away from my leg and feels fine. I did it for two reasons column shift tend to get sloppy and have to tinker with them and the floor shift is simple and I think is nicer to drive with.
What did you do with your old column? Want to sell it?
Also just finished installing the Painless Bronco wiring kit.

As for the photo become a contributor (think it cost $12) and then you just upload them to your threads.

OP
OP
krdale

krdale

Loc.
Norway
Love the ford of Norway!

I am a contributor but I rather want them inserted in my text so I can write between each photo rather than post them as attachments at the bottom. Or maybe I’m just doing something wrong!

Happy to sell you the column after I’ve installed and tested the new one and thanks for the tips for the floor shifter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I am a contributor but I rather want them inserted in my text so I can write between each photo rather than post them as attachments at the bottom. Or maybe I’m just doing something wrong!

That is easy if you use the Tapatalk app on an iPhone or IPad. They have an Android version also.

You can insert photos within your typed text, or edit to add text between the photos... Tapatalk is free.

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
Nice looking Bronco! Whereabouts in Norway are you located? I find it funny how I see more nice and restored American classics in Norway than I do in the U.S. The AmCar culture is pretty strong there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome!! Does it have a fiberglass body on it doesn't appear to be a 1977 tub, no gas filler doors???

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Good luck to you.... Looks like a pretty good start.

You gonna have to find somewhere offroad to wheel so we can see some Norway wheeling pics :)

OP
OP
krdale

krdale

Loc.
Norway
Welcome!! Does it have a fiberglass body on it doesn't appear to be a 1977 tub, no gas filler doors???

Hey, interesting observation. Def no gas filler doors, I’m not to familiar with the smaller details differentials. I’ll try find the VIN and see what information that can give. I’ve found a VIN in the glove box but guess I need to find the other one on the frame?

OP
OP
krdale

krdale

Loc.
Norway
Nice looking Bronco! Whereabouts in Norway are you located? I find it funny how I see more nice and restored American classics in Norway than I do in the U.S. The AmCar culture is pretty strong there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m in Oslo, off-road driving in Norway is severely limited due to laws against it but the Swedes next door has some good setups. I’ll have to join the jeep, Land Rover or Toyota folks!

OP
OP
krdale

krdale

Loc.
Norway
Hey, interesting observation. Def no gas filler doors, I’m not to familiar with the smaller details differentials. I’ll try find the VIN and see what information that can give. I’ve found a VIN in the glove box but guess I need to find the other one on the frame?

I have a VIN in my doorbox, yet to locate the one on the frame.

00b4d199ca68282e3f9724eb5f4c9b7e.jpg

I do have front disc brakes, but will try check what rear axle it is and locate he frame vin!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey krdale, great job you're doing there, bringing that one back from a heap.
And a big job still yet to go!

I notice no gas doors and no rear side-marker lights. Did you hear from a previous owner that the rear fenders had been replaced or modified? Rust maybe?
Kind of a big job, and not one taken lightly by anyone. But the paint is newer too, so it might have been done at the same time.

Keep the progress reports coming. Good luck and good luck with uploading the pics and text too!

Paul

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great stuff! My son's home is in Eikefjord but he lives and works in Stavanger. He always tries to talk me out of one of my EBs. ;)

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
I notice no gas doors and no rear side-marker lights. Did you hear from a previous owner that the rear fenders had been replaced or modified? Rust maybe?
Kind of a big job, and not one taken lightly by anyone. But the paint is newer too, so it might have been done at the same time.

^This is my guess.
Nice looking Bronco. Look forward to watching your build.

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
I’m in Oslo, off-road driving in Norway is severely limited due to laws against it but the Swedes next door has some good setups. I’ll have to join the jeep, Land Rover or Toyota folks!

I’m from Høvik nearby. Moved back and forth to the U.S. a few times growing up. Lived in Drammen a while, too. It’s much nicer now than when I lived there! Now I represent a few Norwegian companies here in the U.S.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

Sounds like a plan.. Go w/a group always the best way to be safe

PaveBronco

Interesting mod to the rear wheel tubs, assume they were cut out for a wider rear seat.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I have a VIN in my doorbox, yet to locate the one on the frame.

I do have front disc brakes, but will try check what rear axle it is and locate he frame vin!

That VIN tag is mounted upside down. It’s likely that it matches the frame and you have a replacement tub.