• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Twin Sticks?

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
OK I have ready many posts on the "Twin Sticks" People changing to them, what brand is best, having to bend them to fit. But I am still at a loss what is the reason you changed? Do you get more functionality out of the transfer case? Or is it that they just look neat? Educate me....

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
In my case it was function. I have a j shift case, I made a set of twin sticks so I have no experience with the ones being sold. I wanted to be able to shift the front axle independently so the twin sticks is the way to go. I have also had trouble in the past with the stock j shifter not wanting to cooperate all the time.
with the twin sticks the shifting is like night and day compared to the stock shifter.
I will say that it does look pretty cool as well having 3 shifters on the floor.
Just my opinion.
Have a good one!

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
OK I have ready many posts on the "Twin Sticks" People changing to them, what brand is best, having to bend them to fit. But I am still at a loss what is the reason you changed? Do you get more functionality out of the transfer case? Or is it that they just look neat? Educate me....
Couple different reason for going twin.. when wheeling you can use it to remove power front or rear depending on situation.. also single stick can be difficult to shift as your shifting both rails ft and r at the same time and they need to align and usally take some doing... looks cool too

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The added functionality (2wd low) and easy of use is why I love mine. I have the JB Fab brand. The quality and ease of install is awesome.

OP
OP
svastano

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
AHHH I see says the blind man! 2 low would really be fun on the street too! Major get up and go!

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
yep what they said, I just used mine again today in front wheel only to get my front end around to get straight and not roll as I was sideways on a hill.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
In 35+ years I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on my eb.
But I often find that how much money I spend does not always correlate to how much I like the mod.

My recent Explorer Serp Swap is not anywhere close to my most expensive mod but is my favorite mod of all time right now but for the previous 13 years my number one favorite mod was my $150 dollar twin sticks.

I should have done them even sooner.
I fought that stupid J-shifter for decades. I was always scared to pull it out of 2wd for fear of not getting it back in to 2wd.

Twin sticks are soooo smooth. I absolutely love them. Unless you are restoring an eb you would be crazy not to do the twin stick mod.

Yes you can do a front dig, a wicked sharp turn, engaging only the front axle is cool. The ability to quickly blip the throttle and pop it in or out of 4wd is sooo easy with a twin stick. While those tricks are neat....it was the easy shifting that I love.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Mine are Some of JB's very 1st . I got mine as a 1st design. I loved mine. Now I have had to tweak Mine several times. But I was an up front Model design. I've had mine about 15 years. .
... Mine almost shift on the go .. Not really but they sure shift in & out easy.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I had to switch to the JB Fab twin sticks when I installed the Advance Adapters NV3550 kit.
I had no problem at all with my old "J" shifter. It would shift on the fly "like butter." I guess I was one of the lucky ones that still had the boot sealing the shifter mechanism.

As a matter of fact, my girl found it easier to use than the new twin stick setup. With the twin sticks she isn't sure she has it shifted into 2 HI, Neutral, or 4 hi. I've got to admit, there is some guessing as to what position it's in. You were sure with the old "J" shift.

Sure the twin sticks work great, but if I wouldn't have had to change, I would have been happy with the old shifter.

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
As Blu mentioned, some transmission swaps force you to go with twin sticks, which was the case with my M5OD swap. I'm 6'4" and have my seats moved back, so reaching for the clumsy j-shifter was a PITA. Having the transfer case shifter right at my finger tips has been a great upgrade for me.

Attachments

• IMG_2166.jpg
    IMG_2166.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2167.jpg
    IMG_2167.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 64