• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Repair and Update Prioritization

EarlyBronc74

Loc.
Central Texas
So my 74 Bronco is in pretty fair condition and I currently drive it daily. There are some things I would definitely like to update and I'm just having a hard time deciding the order.

1. Front Disc Conversion
  2. Power Brakes Conversion
  3. Exhaust
  4. Power steering
  5. Engine Overhaul
  6. 5 spd or Auto Swap.

Front Disc Conversion
This is self-explanatory. I would like better braking but the drums seem to do alright currently.

Power Brakes Conversion
This would go along with the Disc conversion. Has anyone ever ran the front disc conversion without power assist?

Exhaust
Not necessary but would be a nice touch. Currently has factory manifolds and single side exit.

Power Steering
This would be a huge improvement. I'm just not sure which route to take here. I went a stripped an Explorer front serpentine setup but I don't want install until I do an engine overhaul. Any suggestions?

Engine Overhaul
As it sits the original 302 has developed a little lifter tap, combined with a few slow leaks. The engine runs really well and starts every day with no problems. Currently, I think this can hold off until I either do a 5 spd or Auto Swap.

5 spd or Auto Swap
This would be one of the biggest jobs to do. I like either one. Would the NV3550 be a great candidate?

All of these would lead to a stronger running gear and future proof it. I eventually would like to do some wheeling with it. Any input would be appreciated.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
In my opinion from having done most of these myself over the years:

1. Power steering
2. Front Discs
3. Engine Overhaul
4. Exhaust
5. Power Brakes
6. Transmission

Just my opinion based on nothing other than how I felt about each improvement I made.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
My order is a little different.
1 front disc cant get anywhere if you can't stop safely.
2 Power brakes goes with #1
3 power steering easier to drive and park.
4 Transmission if there is a need for this.
5 Exhaust you do this after the transmission and figure out what you need for the new engine. Goal is not to re-due any thing while modifying any thing else. figure out headers or exhaust manifolds now.
6 Engine by now you will really know what you want and everything else will already be in place.

This way your truck can be planned to be down for a few days here and there than down for long extended periods.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I would do power brakes and front disc at the same time; avoids rework and does not necessarily require other changes. I like good brakes so I would put this towards the top based on your list.
Power Steering is pretty easy and makes the vehicle nicer to drive. However as you have stated that you do not want to swap to your explorer front dress until after your engine rebuild, well... you're setting yourself up for rework and buying more parts if you do power steering before your engine/explorer dress.

Exhaust, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Factory manifolds and single side exhaust is not bad. Unless your engine rebuild involves significant aftermarket power improvements, I would take factory manifolds over a set of headers anyday. I run the factory manifolds on my 351w and I don't have any exhaust leaks or issues with interference with anything else.

This being said - I have been disappointed with the performance of vacuum boosted brakes. The booster is simply not that big nor does it provide a whole lot of boost. The aftermarket boosters are basically throwaway units; I had one fail and nobody would touch it for a rebuild, had to buy another. Plus they look goofy on that angle bracket.
So what this means is you're going to need a pretty good power steering pump. The explorer pump is pretty capable, and companies like PSC and AGR can make it better. You can also adapt a Saginaw pump to the explorer dress.

So... explorer front dress, juiced up power steering pump, power steering box, front disc brakes, those all happen basically together in my opinion!

Engine/exhaust seem fairly low priority.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
brakes for safety, engine, power steering...

Maybe engine last, save for that, get something good

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
The Exploder front dress is frankly a very good upgrade, and there is absolutely no realistic reason to wait. So my order would be to gather all of the parts to do the front disk brakes, hydroboost, and power steering all at the same time.

I'll add fuel injection next if you plan to daily drive your Bronco. It frankly is an intake manifold, some wiring, sensors, and a fuel pump. It's an easy upgrade and can be done reasonably if you shop around and/or have a good junk yard nearby.

Engine upgrades aren't really a priority unless your burning oil, leaking terribly or have low compression. For now I'd drive it and see what you really want to do.

Transmissions especially overdrive transmissions typically go hand in hand with changing the gear ratio's which usually involves installing a locker of some sort if you actually wheel it. So that would be last in order of priorities on that list. Again, drive what you've got, do your homework, talk to other owners and drive their combo's to see what you really want. This is an upgrade you don't really want to do twice.

BRONCITIS74

Contributor
I have from disc brakes, but no power. The truck stops(33 tires) but I really need to stand on the brake pedal. If you have the funds do the brake booster at the same time you do the conversion. I hope to do mine over the winter. Then we will both be safe. Good luck!

OP
OP
EarlyBronc74

EarlyBronc74

Loc.
Central Texas
I would do power brakes and front disc at the same time; avoids rework and does not necessarily require other changes. I like good brakes so I would put this towards the top based on your list.
Power Steering is pretty easy and makes the vehicle nicer to drive. However as you have stated that you do not want to swap to your explorer front dress until after your engine rebuild, well... you're setting yourself up for rework and buying more parts if you do power steering before your engine/explorer dress.

Exhaust, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Factory manifolds and single side exhaust is not bad. Unless your engine rebuild involves significant aftermarket power improvements, I would take factory manifolds over a set of headers anyday. I run the factory manifolds on my 351w and I don't have any exhaust leaks or issues with interference with anything else.

This being said - I have been disappointed with the performance of vacuum boosted brakes. The booster is simply not that big nor does it provide a whole lot of boost. The aftermarket boosters are basically throwaway units; I had one fail and nobody would touch it for a rebuild, had to buy another. Plus they look goofy on that angle bracket.
So what this means is you're going to need a pretty good power steering pump. The explorer pump is pretty capable, and companies like PSC and AGR can make it better. You can also adapt a Saginaw pump to the explorer dress.

So... explorer front dress, juiced up power steering pump, power steering box, front disc brakes, those all happen basically together in my opinion!

Engine/exhaust seem fairly low priority.

Which power steering box and pump would you recommend?

Timstrk

If I had to do it again I would forego the power portion and just go with manual discs. When the fire goes out the brakes stay the same without the power option.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
If I had to do it again I would forego the power portion and just go with manual discs. When the fire goes out the brakes stay the same without the power option.

The accumulator on a hydroboost is there to give about three good stops without the engine running; that should be enough to get you safely off the road so you can fix the engine (or call for a tow).