• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer questions.

MonsterBIlly

I found an 01v8 with 100k original miles in very great shape for cheap.
I already have a fitech so i am thinking of using the explorer for a swap and keeping the fitech for simplicity.
Can i keep my current single wire alt?
Will i need new headers?

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I would run the full Explorer front dress.....Not sure about the one wire.

As to headers, that motor had P heads so standard headers will not fit. Bronco hut has headers that work well with P heads. I'm running them.

Or you could run the Explorer manifolds.......

Tim

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Are you planning on running the 4R70W as well?

Explorer front accessory drive is worth keeping, but your current 1-wire alternator will not work on it.

Considering there are probably 50 different versions of Bronco headers, without knowing what new headers you have we can't say. The general answer is "no" as most headers won't cleat the different angle of the spark plugs. But you might have a set that will. Stock cast iron manifolds can clear the P-head spark plugs with a little carbide burr trimming.

chuck1022

Contributor
Damnit...i am on the hunt for that same thing. My plan is to kidnap timmy390's cat or dog, ship my bronco to where ever he lives, and have him do the swap for me.....and then I will return the cat or dog...after it is shipped back.

I am in the planning stages of all of this still. If there is someone just as knowledgable, but closer to phoenix , let me know, that will save me money on shipping.;D

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Damnit...i am on the hunt for that same thing. My plan is to kidnap timmy390's cat or dog, ship my bronco to where ever he lives, and have him do the swap for me.....and then I will return the cat or dog...after it is shipped back.

I am in the planning stages of all of this still. If there is someone just as knowledgable, but closer to phoenix , let me know, that will save me money on shipping.;D

No can do. Shop is filled with Samurai's right now yes Samurai's as in plural more than one. Long story see off topic lounge.....;D

GT40P heads are better then the GT40's. The GT40's are good heads but have a following that makes everyone think they're some kind of special must have part. The BH headers fit great and will work with about any combination of motor/trans. I went with uncoated and sprayed them myself with VHT and they will look good after 2 plus years and several on offs.

Tim

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
No can do. Shop is filled with Samurai's right now yes Samurai's as in plural more than one. Long story see off topic lounge.....;D

GT40P heads are better then the GT40's. The GT40's are good heads but have a following that makes everyone think they're some kind of special must have part. The BH headers fit great and will work with about any combination of motor/trans. I went with uncoated and sprayed them myself with VHT and they will look good after 2 plus years and several on offs.

Tim

Except with the Mustang crowd and the boat crowd, they all want the GT40P heads.
Maybe the Mustang bunch have a wider selection of headers to fit? Boats have it easy the way their exhaust is routed.

So I have seen the GT40P heads higher priced than the non-P heads, but since they were made for more years there are more of them so they are easier to find.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The P-heads command the higher price because they have better flow. HP junkies want the flow. Not that they really compare to a set of aftermarket heads that really can flow, but for a junkyard head they are a good pick.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Except with the Mustang crowd and the boat crowd, they all want the GT40P heads.
Maybe the Mustang bunch have a wider selection of headers to fit? Boats have it easy the way their exhaust is routed.

So I have seen the GT40P heads higher priced than the non-P heads, but since they were made for more years there are more of them so they are easier to find.

Have to admit, I've been out of the 5.0 SBF Mustang crowd for longer than I want to admit. Glad they wised up...LOL

Tim

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
The P-heads command the higher price because they have better flow. HP junkies want the flow. Not that they really compare to a set of aftermarket heads that really can flow, but for a junkyard head they are a good pick.

I got mine for $30 each at the yard....Decked them, new bigger springs, lapped the valves and installed new guide seals. put them on the W and haven't looked back....

Tim

chuck1022

Contributor

Tim

Thats why its cat abduction and extortion....my bronco goes to the front of the line...then fluffy gets returned:eek: