• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Baja Bronco post on Hemmings

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Scrolling down to the bottom of that Hemmings post is a post from Carl Becker with a link to some awesome Baja Race Film. I opened the link in new window to view & it worked for me. I'm copy and pasting it here for you all.

Carl Beck says:

December 14, 2017 2:01 pm

Here is a 2 minute video clip from Mr. Tiederman’s video of the Baja 500 in 1973. At about 0:34 seconds in – you can see Big Oly (Parnelli Jones/Bill Strippes’ Big Oly) .. chasing Peter Brock in the BRE Baja Z. (the dust trail ahead of Big Oly). The BRE Baja Z goes by 0:52 to 0:56 seconds, followed by Big Oly at 1:00.

Later in the clip -about 1:26 to 1:40 seconds – at the end of the First Stage – you can see the Big Oly was damaged somewhere along the way. The BRE Baja Z is parked at the outside of the field (in the background) visible at 1:40 second.

Mr. Brock said it was great fun leading Big Oly on the first leg of the course – drivable dirt roads mostly – but on the rougher second leg Big Oly passed him quickly and was out of sight in short order. The BRE Baja Z was #300 in that event – and Big Oly was #307.. so the Baja Z started ahead of Big Oly.. you can see by the time the video was shot Big Oly had already moved up past 7 others starters.. LOL

http://zhome.com/BRETotal/1973BajaZClip.mp4