• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mint 400 Movie plus Vintage Stroppe Pics

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Todd,

Thanks for the history. It's amazing what you know about the history of these old racers. It's really great that can share that history with us.

I'm glad you think the pictures are worth posting. It means a lot coming from you.

I'll digitize more when I get caught up a little bit more.

Take Care,

Jeff

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Mark,

I have more... I'm hoping to get some more posted this weekend. (Maybe sooner if don't keep my priorities in line. :)

Here's one that is kind of interesting. It's a button. If anyone knows what this is, it will probably be Todd... or one of his connections. There must be a back story.

Take Care,

Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_5340.jpg
    IMG_5340.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 46

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Those buttons were a practical joke that Vic Hickey (GM guy) printed up one year. I don't recall the exact details but that's the gist of it. Hickey and Stroppe were rivals/competitors but also friends.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Todd,

Not surprised that you knew... but, I was particularly impressed with how quick you replied! I wouldn't want to compete against you in Off-Road Trivial Pursuit.

Thanks,

Jeff

andyp

Contributor
This is such a cool thread. Keep those pics coming.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I remember making a sales call on a small shop in Southern CA (Ventura was it?) and the guy there said his dad had run the shop previously, and "right there" across the parking lot was the old Vic Hickey shop when they were developing the "Blazer" prototype for racing.
Right before GM made their truck of the same name.

We talked lots of history and he had some great stories of when he was younger and his dad was helping Hickey out.

That was in about '97 or so. Been racking my brain to remember the name of the shop, but haven't been able to put a name to either the shop or the owner.
But I've seen others mention them in years passed? Maybe one of you remember?

Paul

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Jeff,

This is so great to see all of these old photos and get the history behind them.

Thanks so much for posting !

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
LOL, too funny..

Hi Mark,

I have more... I'm hoping to get some more posted this weekend. (Maybe sooner if don't keep my priorities in line. :)

Here's one that is kind of interesting. It's a button. If anyone knows what this is, it will probably be Todd... or one of his connections. There must be a back story.

Take Care,

Jeff

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey Everyone,

My Dad would get a real kick out of knowing that his pictures are such a hit. It makes me smile.

I haven't converted any additional slides; but, there a some pictures from that that I already scanned that I didn't think were quite as interesting... at least to me. Maybe they'll mean something to you guys. So... I'll post them here.

Take Care,

Jeff

Attachments

• PICT0025.jpg
    PICT0025.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 237
  • PICT0026.jpg
    PICT0026.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 228
  • PICT0027.jpg
    PICT0027.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 240
  • PICT0028.jpg
    PICT0028.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 215
  • PICT0029.jpg
    PICT0029.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 221
  • PICT0034.jpg
    PICT0034.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 215
  • PICT0035.jpg
    PICT0035.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 230

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
That last picture shows the change over in the grille signal lights.

Like was already said,these pictures look like they were taken recently.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Those are more awesome shots, Jeff! Those are taken prior to the start of the 1969 Mexican 1000 (aka Baja 1000). You can see our truck in a few of the shots (has Motor Trend on the front fenders). The engine compartment shot is of the 'Colt' - the rig that Parnelli and Bill drove in that race. Lowered about 3" from a stock Bronco - hence the serious fiberglass work on the hood and the sense that the engine sticks up a lot higher than normal. That's some beautiful aluminum work in the engine compartment. The next shot has Stroppe and Larry Minor in it (would win the race overall with Rod Hall in our truck). The next photo shows Danny Ongais - a drag racer who probably was in one of Stroppe's F100s in this race. Then a shot of Parnelli - Dick Russell in the background with his hands on the hood of a Bronco. The last picture shows the Bronco that I believe Ray Harvick drove in this race.

The Baja 1000 was only 2 years old at this point and you can only imagine what an impression Stroppe's team must have made when they rolled in with this fleet of sharp looking rigs.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi Todd,

I'm going to need to start taking notes. lol

I'll credit you with all the details!

I remember the Edsel in the shop on several occasions... I only wish that my Dad had taken some pics of it. (I remember wandering around the property one of the first times I was there and coming across the AMC vehicles in the weeds. I thought one of those would be a bargain to buy and get running; but, my Dad wasn't quite so impressed. He didn't budge. Also no pictures of those. Were those prepped by Holman-Moody, or was Stroppe involved at the time, too? If remember they were kind of medium blue/red.)

Thanks for all your great input.

Jeff

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Those are more awesome shots, Jeff! Those are taken prior to the start of the 1969 Mexican 1000 (aka Baja 1000). You can see our truck in a few of the shots (has Motor Trend on the front fenders). The engine compartment shot is of the 'Colt' - the rig that Parnelli and Bill drove in that race. Lowered about 3" from a stock Bronco - hence the serious fiberglass work on the hood and the sense that the engine sticks up a lot higher than normal. That's some beautiful aluminum work in the engine compartment. The next shot has Stroppe and Larry Minor in it (would win the race overall with Rod Hall in our truck). The next photo shows Danny Ongais - a drag racer who probably was in one of Stroppe's F100s in this race. Then a shot of Parnelli - Dick Russell in the background with his hands on the hood of a Bronco. The last picture shows the Bronco that I believe Ray Harvick drove in this race.

The Baja 1000 was only 2 years old at this point and you can only imagine what an impression Stroppe's team must have made when they rolled in with this fleet of sharp looking rigs.

Todd Z.

Amazing information you have Mr.Z

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey,

I was thinking earlier that none of the pictures that I've posted actually have my Dad in them. So, I wanted to make that right.

The picture that I am including here show my Dad in the center of the picture talking with Wes Thomas as Wes looks down at the propane powered motor in the Condor motorhome. Wes was with Condor, and I believe he was the driver for all the races it ran. I came across this pic when searching online for more information on the Condor. It was pretty cool to find it... I don't think that I had ever seen it.

(My Dad's name was Chuck Bennett, Jr.)

Take Care,

Jeff

Attachments

• Dad and Wes Thomas Inside Condor.jpg
    Dad and Wes Thomas Inside Condor.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 209

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
keep them coming! WHAT great history you are sharing with us!

Last edited:

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I remember the Edsel in the shop on several occasions... I only wish that my Dad had taken some pics of it. (I remember wandering around the property one of the first times I was there and coming across the AMC vehicles in the weeds. I thought one of those would be a bargain to buy and get running; but, my Dad wasn't quite so impressed. He didn't budge. Also no pictures of those. Were those prepped by Holman-Moody, or was Stroppe involved at the time, too? If remember they were kind of medium blue/red.)

The Ramblers were leftovers from the American International Racers (AIR) effort at the '69 Baja 500. They only ran that race.

AIR was James Garner's outfit and after Garner had a lot of fun driving a Bronco for Stroppe in '68, he was able to put together a package with AMC for '69. There were 10 cars built and if I recall correctly, only 2 finished. One was driven by a guy named Walker Evans, who got a chance to drive after one of the other guys got sick. The other one was driven by Carl Jackson, who was one of Stroppe's drivers and was infamous for being fast and not breaking equipment. Rod Hall was another driver. 2 of the cars were converted to 4wd and the rest remained 2wd.

The AIR shop was in the Hemet, CA, area and a lot of the well-known fab guys went to work there when they opened - lured by the work and good wages.

Rambler decided after one race that they didn't want to support them anymore (Baja wasn't exactly a great advertising plug for selling Rambler sedans). The doors were locked on the shop and suddenly a bunch of guys were unemployed. Some went back to Stroppe's and somehow he ended up with the cars. I've seen pics of them at his facility in the past. One was donated to Chaffey College in SoCal and eventually raced a few times in later years. One of the 4wd cars (Carl Jackson's) still exists in very original condition.

A Rambler "AIR Tribute" car raced in NORRA last year. It was a nice looking car but I don't think he finished the first day. He was moving very slowly when we passed him.

Todd Z.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
You should write a book Todd! Such as the kind Mr. McLaughlin wrote/ illustrated a couple yrs ago.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Only right to share that as well Jeff. Family means a lot

Hey,

I was thinking earlier that none of the pictures that I've posted actually have my Dad in them. So, I wanted to make that right.

The picture that I am including here show my Dad in the center of the picture talking with Wes Thomas as Wes looks down at the propane powered motor in the Condor motorhome. Wes was with Condor, and I believe he was the driver for all the races it ran. I came across this pic when searching online for more information on the Condor. It was pretty cool to find it... I don't think that I had ever seen it.

(My Dad's name was Chuck Bennett, Jr.)

Take Care,

Jeff