• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Aluminum Radiator!!!

STalon89

Champion is your best bang for your buck. Ive put it through its paces with extended trips, hot weather etc. And it looks proper, not something you robbed off a late year vehicle

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Not a Champion... One year in with no issues.... Does everything it is suppose to without slightest issue.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX9YWTM/?tag=cbama-20
I had a crossover setup but didnt like all the potential failure points. Now its one hose in and one hose out. Put in a sacrificial anode for good luck.

Last edited:

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Sounds like an additional factor is in the mix leading to variable results. Maybe those that twist things up on trails a lot need the stout stock copper/brass sty;le. And those that stress things structurally a bit less do well with aluminum.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like an additional factor is in the mix leading to variable results. Maybe those that twist things up on trails a lot need the stout stock copper/brass sty;le. And those that stress things structurally a bit less do well with aluminum.
I went through 3 aluminum radiators (Ron Davis) in about a 5-6 year span, as I recall (maybe less). Two failed at the exact same spot, can't recall how the 3rd one failed. Followed all the install recommendations to a 'T' - soft mounts, proper grounding, proper potential in the coolant, etc. I made peace with the crossover tubes and realized, yeah, there might be a few more failure points/leakage points but it's a lot easier to tighten a hose clamp than it is to fix an aluminum radiator when you're 55 miles from Nowheresville. Went back to copper/brass and consequently spend a lot less time fussing with cooling system maintenance.

Todd Z.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Todd, well, I guess that hypothesis is eliminated! Maybe it's like helicopter flying: There are two types of helicopter pilot, those that have not made and emergency landing, and those that will make an emergency landing.

Lawndart

Loc.
I went through 3 aluminum radiators (Ron Davis) in about a 5-6 year span, as I recall (maybe less). Two failed at the exact same spot, can't recall how the 3rd one failed. Followed all the install recommendations to a 'T' - soft mounts, proper grounding, proper potential in the coolant, etc. I made peace with the crossover tubes and realized, yeah, there might be a few more failure points/leakage points but it's a lot easier to tighten a hose clamp than it is to fix an aluminum radiator when you're 55 miles from Nowheresville. Went back to copper/brass and consequently spend a lot less time fussing with cooling system maintenance.

Todd Z.
I did not go through that many, but came to same conclusion.

papy

stock 289 radiator
jurassic park edition exploder shroud
96 explorer 5.0 serp
96 explorer 5.0 clutch fan
bronco fan blade
fabbed a relocation bracket in between to marry the two ( got the idea from a forum member)
hottest summer here in Alberta last year with no issues

Attachments

• IMG_2841.jpg
    IMG_2841.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2826.jpg
    IMG_2826.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2825.jpg
    IMG_2825.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 21

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I am running this one from Toms. It was a great fir with all the holes in the correct place, a direct bolt up. Its been about a year now and I have zero issues so far.

Attachments

• 6370_3_core_Aluminum_Radiator.jpg
    6370_3_core_Aluminum_Radiator.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 12