• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351W Build Advice: Any engine build threads? Planning ahead.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
After I get this metal work done, I'm going to move onto the engine, trans and engine bay. I want to go with a 351W. I have the serp dress for a 302 Exploder, which I am told will fit. Other than that, I haven't built an engine since 1984 and can't remember a thing. I would love to build it myself, but I'm open to a crate motor. I want it to have power, run smoothly (no obnoxious lopes), be a 70% street cruiser. I really want to go with a Holley or FI-Tech EFI system. Budget? Let's say $4,000 ish, not including all the parts I already have that will transfer with the serp conversion.

So - here are my two questions

1. What parts do you suggest? What would be your build plan? What year / model block? Heads? Anything and everything you would use for what I mentioned above.

2. Crate motor? Something I could use the exploder serp setup with?

Thanks for getting me thinking. - jim

Last edited:

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, the 351 was used into the 90s in pickups, and probably vans, famously in the Lightning, so maybe you can find a used running engine to start with. The 351 and 302 do share a lot of parts. Good luck

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Serp stuff fits, got it on mine... I'd go stroker! :) 408 seems popular. Wish I had done it to mine. Also suggest fuel injection from EFI Guy. Not much help on specifics. Take a look on craigslist for buildable engine in your area...

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
My 351W roller is a 20 over stock rebuild from a 96 van. It ran good with the stock E7 heads.

I upgraded the heads to GT40P's and stuck a little bigger cam in it for even better low end than the Explorer cam. yes all the rollers for the Explorer cam. It now runs better.

One note, the Lighting is a roller block but has a flat tapet cam in it. GT40 heads.

I'm running SN95 Stang EFI. The 96 van EFI (speed density) is SO close to the 94-95 stang stuff. I converted it to mass air. Using complete 97 Explorer upper with a marine version of the GT40 351W lower.

I built it myself using the book How to Rebuild Small-Block Ford Engines by Tom Monroe It was my FIRST real build (I've helped on a few) and it went smooth. Well there was a cracked head issue the I fought for a while hence the upgrade to the GT40P's

Tim

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
I built it myself using the book How to Rebuild Small-Block Ford Engines by Tom Monroe
Tim

I have that book! I've probably read it three times. Trying to figure out what cam with what heads with what lift, what duration - all of that slams me into a mental wall. That's why I'm looking for some specific suggestions, along with Tom Monroe's book!

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Serp stuff fits, got it on mine... I'd go stroker! :) 408 seems popular. Wish I had done it to mine. Also suggest fuel injection from EFI Guy. Not much help on specifics. Take a look on craigslist for buildable engine in your area...

I've thought about a 408. But every 408 I've heard sounds like a dragster or some kind of monster, lots of lope. I want something powerful, yet understated until I get on it. What would be a plan for that?

1963hotrod

Loc.
Oroville
351w

I rebuilt a 351w for mine. I bought a 408 stroker kit from Summit for around 1K. I went with trick flow aluminum heads 170cc and an edelbrock duel plane intake. I wanted torque so I picked a cam with about .500 lift. It is not in yet but it should be good for close to 400HP. The heads are not that much more than having your stock heads rebuilt. Many 90's broncos had 351w in them and are common in the wrecking yards.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
E-Series Vans seem to get passed up in U-Pick yards.

94-97 Van with 351W. The serpentine system fits great with a rigid fan and it also has the Saginaw pump. You can easily rebuild this 351w and get great power. From your initial post a 408 may not fit the budget.

I would go with an engine build like my 76 in my Garage. Holley Sniper EFI instead of the GT-40.

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
E-Series Vans seem to get passed up in U-Pick yards.

94-97 Van with 351W. The serpentine system fits great with a rigid fan and it also has the Saginaw pump. You can easily rebuild this 351w and get great power. From your initial post a 408 may not fit the budget.

I would go with an engine build like my 76 in my Garage. Holley Sniper EFI instead of the GT-40.

What would you say $$ you've got invested in it? Did you have anything done at a machine shop and how much $ was it?

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
The way that I would choose a cam is to call the vendor of choice, lay out what the engine is, and what you're wanting it to do. Then buy the recommended cam. It is very, very easy to allow yourself to pick too big of a cam and not get what you want.

With EFI in the picture this needs to be mentioned because all EFI has some cam features that they don't get along with very well. Even if it goes into the truck carb'd with EFI planned, buy an EFI compatible cam.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You're going to be severely disappointed in how far $3K goes if you want a rebuilt and efi'd 351w with 4R70w.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Best I can tell, starting with a running driving van, I have close to $2500 in my 351W and Ford EFI but I didn't SO much work myself and reused everything I could.....

Add in all the extras (radiator (my choice), hoses, belt, delete pulleys, plugs, plug wires, new distributor, air cleaner, oil, coolant, fuel lines, fuel pump, fittings, electric fan (my choice), throttle cable, headers, sensors etc.) The cost really goes up.

Tim

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
You're going to be severely disappointed in how far $3K goes if you want a rebuilt and efi'd 351w with 4R70w.

The $3k rough budget would already have all the exploder front dress, intake, alternator, A/C, pipes hoses,

It does not take into account EFI (probably Holley Sniper), or a transmission. those are extra.

Thinking basically of a long block build

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
If you just want an EFI 351W, buy a running EFI van & harvest what you need. All of those little things that come on a running vehicle that aren't on a long block will add up. And it will likely be a trans donor as well.

If you want a stroker then look for a long block and prepare to spend a lot more money.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
About the only thing I didn't use from the van engine wise was one valve cover. On the van, it has an extension pipe on it with no cap prevision. Picked up one off an F150 from the yard problem solved.

I used the front dress, oil pan, dipstick, valve covers, etc.

Tim

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
If I start with a roller block
1. What crank? How do you determine the best crank?
2. How do you determine which cam and heads?

For stock crank is fine. If you stroke it you will get a crank in the stroker kit.

Heads, Stock E7's are good, GT40 better GT40P's more better and Alum heads are even better. You need to take compression into count. Larger chambers less compression, smaller chambers more compression. it's all about the build. Stock height pistons or flat tops. Block deck height, bore size and if the heads have been milled. Head gasket thickness too. Stock compression on the 96 van 351W was like 8.8:1 as I recall using the E7 heads. HP was 210 at 3800rpm and 328 torque at 2200rpm

For cam it's all about what you want. Low end torque (which is what a Bronco needs) or high RPM HP and torque (which some like). It's really about what you do with your rig. Cams IMO are personal choices. The stock roller cam is good. I upgraded after a few months for a bit more low end torque but it was a WANT not a need for my application.

Carb, intake, cam, heads and exhaust all need to work together to get the most out of any engine.

Tim

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I would plan on a good set of aluminum heads first. A bit of compression. That with the original parts plan will run good. If the crank is bad during the refresh of the bottom end then break the budget with a stroker.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I rebuilt a 351w for mine. I bought a 408 stroker kit from Summit for around 1K. I went with trick flow aluminum heads 170cc and an edelbrock duel plane intake. I wanted torque so I picked a cam with about .500 lift. It is not in yet but it should be good for close to 400HP. The heads are not that much more than having your stock heads rebuilt. Many 90's broncos had 351w in them and are common in the wrecking yards.

You should be over 400 with that setup, I'm over 400 with a 351, TFS 170's and a hefty cam with .540/.550 lift. That is the route I would go again though - stroke it, slap good aluminum on it and get a reasonable cam. You can get an aggressive 302 can as it will mellow down a bit with more and more cubes.

I would plan on a good set of aluminum heads first. A bit of compression. That with the original parts plan will run good. If the crank is bad during the refresh of the bottom end then break the budget with a stroker.

This is the actual truth - the bottom ends in these engines are stout. Get the compression ratio above 9:1 and cover the top end with aluminum cylinder heads and intake manifold and enjoy the tire melting power.