• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel Injection upgrade: How tough is it?

chirolaker

Loc.
Kalispell, MT
Hey guys. I'm really interested in upgrading my 351W to fuel injection. What are your opinions and experiences with the different brands, and how hard is it to do myself. My self-taught mechanical skills are lacking and this seems like it would be quite involved.

tpep3

Loc.
Elmhurst, IL
I just did the Holley Sniper. I have no car background and I thought it was borderline easy. A lot of great instructional videos online.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
I did the E.D.I.S. route with EFIGuy doing the harness and computer. Finding a Lightning upper and lower was the hardest part. It is absolutely doable, not that difficult.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
I'm planning to go with the Holley Sniper. Seems super easy. Gets away from carb issues. Plus it will keep my engine bay neat and clean the way I want it to look.

RADO

Loc.
Phoenix
The most work intensive part of adding fuel injection for me was converting to a high pressure fuel pump, new fuel tank and running all brand new fuel lines. Not hard, but time consuming. The fitech install was quick & easy, with most of the effort in the tuning after turning the key.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Finding a Lightning upper and lower was the hardest part. It is absolutely doable, not that difficult.

Don't you mean paying for the Lightning upper and lower is the hard part? LOL Jaw dropping prices is all I've seen

Explorer upper fit the Lightning lower. There is a marine version of the Lightning lower (it's cast iron) and can be had for less. I run this combo.....

The most work intensive part of adding fuel injection for me was converting to a high pressure fuel pump, new fuel tank and running all brand new fuel lines. Not hard, but time consuming. The fitech install was quick & easy, with most of the effort in the tuning after turning the key.

You don't NEED a new EFI tank. I'm running the stock tank with external E2000 pump. Works great on my rig but I don't offroad....Might have some issues there I don't know. I run the return into the vent hose.

Tim

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
The after market systems should be easier and cheaper for the initial install. Factory systems will be easier to find parts and support down the road.

You are local to me. Pm me if you like, I'm always happy to meet Bronco owners.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Easiest?
Fi-Tech or Sniper - 7 wires, an inline fuel pump and a return line run to either the filler neck or a tank vent. No need for a new tank.

Best Experience overall?
Ford EFI
Easiest Ford EFI?
I'm going to go with Mustang on this one, the entire setup is stand alone and will drop on and run with zero modifications beyond the intake manifold and distributor. A tune is highly recommended - EFI Guy will be your resource for all Ford EFI swaps.

Most feature filled?
Hands down Explorer EFI. It seems to be the popular thing now, OBDII, trans control, EDIS ignition.

The obvious pro vs con is that the Fi-Tech or Sniper systems require the least work and RETAIN that original carb look. The Ford EFI have that large plenum intake style that makes them often difficult to fit under a hood.

I've run the 2bbl and 4bbl carb on a 302, swapped to speed density Ford EFI on a 5.0, then went 351W with Mustang EFI. After that ran well I had EFI Guy tune it and it ran the best out of any combos. I recement built a really aggressive motor for my trail truck and went Fi-Tech on that - runs 95% as good as the Ford EFI did. Zero regrets.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well said KyleQ.

Stock 5.0, I'd go with the Ford EFI. The Ford system can handle some modifications to the motor but there is a small window. EFI guy can help.

The new Speed Density systems (FiTech, Sniper, FAST) are not the same as old. They can perform Very well and "Learn" to run correctly with modifications and Cam choice. They can handle a more built motor with many modifications.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
My local yard has a Lincoln Town Car 86-87? with this setup...IF I were to go EFI could I use this setup? What would I need to grab? thanks -Jeff

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 66

RADO

Loc.
Phoenix
You don't NEED a new EFI tank. I'm running the stock tank with external E2000 pump. Works great on my rig but I don't offroad....Might have some issues there I don't know. I run the return into the vent hose.

Tim

True, I didn't say you need a new tank for EFI. It's one of those, "might as well upgrade the tank while I'm at it" scenarios. ;D

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
My local yard has a Lincoln Town Car 86-87? with this setup...IF I were to go EFI could I use this setup? What would I need to grab? thanks -Jeff

It's the lowest HP EFI setup available - I would skip it.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
True, I didn't say you need a new tank for EFI. It's one of those, "might as well upgrade the tank while I'm at it" scenarios. ;D

Oh I get it......when in Rome......:cool: but the price tag was a bit much for me at the time of my conversion. Was trying to do mine on the cheap. I took on engine and Ford EFI all in one swing. It got to be a bit $$$ in the end but could have been much worse. Then I had my head issues with the new build and it got much worse. I DO plan on a new tank at some point but it runs so well using the old tank, it's hard to spend the $$ to upgrade at this point.

Tim

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR

Non HO and the EFI is Speed Density not Mass Air.

It will run and some will say it runs well however it doesn't have much support because it's SD and not MA and will not respond to upgrades well. BUT it will work.

Now you could get the ECM pinout and modify the wiring harness to a MA stang ECM pinout (I did this with my donor van) adding the MA sensors and such.

It's a project......

Tim

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Don't you mean paying for the Lightning upper and lower is the hard part? LOL Jaw dropping prices is all I've seen

Explorer upper fit the Lightning lower. There is a marine version of the Lightning lower (it's cast iron) and can be had for less. I run this combo.....

Tim

I make you a deal on one!!!! Lighting

OP
OP
C

chirolaker

Loc.
Kalispell, MT
Thanks so much for all the great info! I've been out of town and away from my computer so I haven't had the chance to reply. I really appreciate all the support advice. gnpenning I'll probably be getting in touch with you at some point. I just had the suspension and exhaust done and will be having the body work done soon. If you seen an ugly brown '77 running around town with the rear lift gate bunjeed because of all the parts in the back, that's me.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I make you a deal on one!!!! Lighting

It's all about the funds....and I'm bone dry after popping for new rims and tires. Oh and the Samurai x2 deal I fell into.

Eating ramen noodles for a while here on the old homestead.

But you know I'll keep it on my mind......;D

Tim