• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

AT Transmission fluid leaking from bellhousing?

bronco std

Loc.
Berryville, Virginia
I need some suggestions on what may be wrong before I pull my C4 out of my Bronco. The other day I started it up and I got out to check some things, I noticed underneath that Transmission fluid was pouring out of the front of the bellhousing like you pour milk on ceral.. No drips here, almost a gusher. Anyway I cleaned it up and then started it again a day or so later, same thing, but not as bad? I let it run for about 7 minutes and collected about 2oz of fluid, The first time I noticed would of been close to 12oz of fluid that approx. leaked out. It is flows out at the very front of the bellhousing where the bottom obvioulsy does not bolt to the engine. It seems to collect inside and then pour out the front from what I can tell. ?:?<br><br>Any suggestions on what may be wrong other than it is leaking transmission fluid. I'll figure it out when I pull the tranny, but curious to know what some of the forum's thoughts are?<br><br>Thanks<br><br>Bronco STD

joes75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pittsburgh
may be leaking form the seal around the front pump, or the input shaft seal. or torque converter.. I dont know though, I'm not automatic expert

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
You probably have a bad seal and if you pull the tranny out check the slop in the converter bushing. if the bushing is worn replacing the seal will end up being a short lived repair. maybe a year or so and it will leak again. its an alignment thing.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Could be a cracked convertor. Had that happen once on a motorhome. Drove it back with one person pouring fluid in as fast as he could squeeze the bottles and another driving. Leaked real bad at idle and in town, at one time we couldn't squeeze fluid in fast enough. But, on the highway it would use less then a quart in 50 miles.

KST1

Just had the same problem with my C-4 a couple of weeks ago. All of the suggestions above are right on (you can't beat this site for good info!)<br><br>Mine turned out to be a bad torque convertor shaft, the part that goes through the front seal into the tranny had rough rings worn into it and ruined the seal. I bought a new torque convertor (AAMCO special order $98.00), had a new front seal (@ $6.00), new pump seal (@$6.00), and new pan gasket (@$5.00) installed and it solved the problem. With labor I was out the door for $208.00. I did the tranny removal and install myself.<br><br>The builder at the shop mentioned that a cracked torque convertor is a very common problem with similar symptoms. Apparently they crack where the torque convertor body is welded to the shaft. They do a air pressure test to confirm the crack. <br><br>You might as well pull it now and get it looked at. Mine had a two week period between the first oil dump and final total failure when it didn't leak at all. <br><br>-D<br>