• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1992 F250 sraight axle swap

Michael Homan

Loc.
Dayton,Ohio
Looking to maybe swap a straight axle into a 92 F250.

Is there anybody on here who has done anything like this or similar?

Donor axle is coming from a 1978 F250 Dana 44 8 lug with 4:10 gears(also have matching rear diff from same truck)

Thanks for any advise or help
Merry Xmas

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Done a couple..getting ready to do another soon. But..not with the early D60 axle. All the ones I've done were using 'same vintage' F-350 D60s and those go straight bolt-in with zero hassle. The '79 D60 does not have the track bar mount either..and you do need that on the front-shackle late models.

OP
OP
Michael Homan

Michael Homan

Loc.
Dayton,Ohio
bmc69

Are you saying that a 92-96 F350 would be an easier swap?

Sorry have to finish my coffee and get the last bit of java going before my brain engaged!!!

I was just trying to use what was available to me for FREE or next to it!!

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
78-79 have a 32in spring pad width and the 86-91 kingpin dana 60 and the 92-97 balljoint dana 60 have a wider width (34in) and will bolt right in but the 78/79 will not unless you rework the spring pads. 98 and newer superduty are even wider. I have done this swap many times and I would get the right axle if you can. The right axle will also have the track bar bracket on it ect.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
bmc69

Are you saying that a 92-96 F350 would be an easier swap?

Sorry have to finish my coffee and get the last bit of java going before my brain engaged!!!

I was just trying to use what was available to me for FREE or next to it!!

Free??..you can get 800 bucks or more EASILY for a '79 D60; that's the hot lick for most EB and 78/79 FSB upgrades. As for your F-250 swap, I'm pretty sure you can use anything from 80s thourgh 90s, although in the early/mid 90s they stopped using king pins and live spindles and went to crap like ball joints and unit bearings.

To whoever asked about swapping a solid axle 44 in to a TTB F-250..never done it and would never consider it. Waste of time..literally zero 'upgrade' achieved in such a swap..and someone else alos noted the difference in spring perch locations..

OP
OP
Michael Homan

Michael Homan

Loc.
Dayton,Ohio
maybe I'am wrong in thinking that the 1978 Donor F250 had a 44 in the front!

Could it be aDana60 in the front and a70 in the rear?

The 1978 F250 is the donor truck that I have that is FREE

1992-96 Ford F250 2wd truck is the truck I would like to swap into 4WD with donor parts

yfz450sew

I swapped a KP Dana 60 from a 91 F350 into my 96 F250 and like said it was a very easy bolt in swap. I also did the reverse shackle kit at the same time and I don't know why people say it rides better because it definitely does not unless you swap the stock springs out for lift springs maybe. It definitely turns way better and doesn't wear my tires funny anymore like the TTB did so it was definitely worth it imo, especially since I got the complete diff from the pick a part for $150 bones.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
maybe I'am wrong in thinking that the 1978 Donor F250 had a 44 in the front!

Could it be aDana60 in the front and a70 in the rear?

The 1978 F250 is the donor truck that I have that is FREE

1992-96 Ford F250 2wd truck is the truck I would like to swap into 4WD with donor parts

OH my ..that is all very different indeed. First..most 78/79 F-250s were D44 front ends. But of course there were the D60 versions and those are the very desirable D60s for using in EB front 60 upgrades. You do need to figure out what you have in that '78; ball joints, its a 44. King pins, its a 60.

The 4x4 conversion is another matter. That's no small job by any stretch...so given all the work you will ahv to do regardless, what axle you use is probably the least of your concerns. You have cross member to fabiricate..you will need to find a tranny/t-case combo that matches the engine..drivesahfts..and a good deal of front-end fab work.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I swapped a KP Dana 60 from a 91 F350 into my 96 F250 and like said it was a very easy bolt in swap. I also did the reverse shackle kit at the same time and I don't know why people say it rides better because it definitely does not .

I will never bother with reversing the shackles because it never made any sense to me why it would make one lick of ride difference..yr yet another who has confirmed that. ;D

I'm getting ready tobolt a '90 D60 in to my '89 F-250..and its all because I'm sick and tired of the TTB wearng out tires and not being able to align it.

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
I will never bother with reversing the shackles because it never made any sense to me why it would make one lick of ride difference..yr yet another who has confirmed that. ;D

I'm getting ready tobolt a '90 D60 in to my '89 F-250..and its all because I'm sick and tired of the TTB wearng out tires and not being able to align it.

I have also done many reverse shackle kits in these trucks and it does make them ride better- and my own 89 f250. By changing the geomotry to front to back movement of the shackle it allows it help obsorb the bumps as they hit the front side of the tires. In stock form it is constantly fighting against it self- the suspension is trying to cycle up and back slightly and the stock set up trys to move up and forward slightly. Ford changed it in 98 with the intro of the superduty. The shackle reversal also allows you to not have to run a track bar which is the way I ran my F250 on 44's. If you need any help with anything let me know. Dave

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have also done many reverse shackle kits in these trucks and it does make them ride better- and my own 89 f250. By changing the geomotry to front to back movement of the shackle it allows it help obsorb the bumps as they hit the front side of the tires. In stock form it is constantly fighting against it self- the suspension is trying to cycle up and back slightly and the stock set up trys to move up and forward slightly. Ford changed it in 98 with the intro of the superduty. The shackle reversal also allows you to not have to run a track bar which is the way I ran my F250 on 44's. If you need any help with anything let me know. Dave

LOL..if the 6" front springs on my F-250 actually flexed more than a 1/2" max then I could maybe see that logic. But they don't.:-X

Good point about not needing the track bar with the shackles in teh rear though..you sure do need it when they are in front. That part I've proven to myself several times...%)

OP
OP
Michael Homan

Michael Homan

Loc.
Dayton,Ohio
I should also state that the driveshfts,trans and transfercase are in my posession. I removed all drivetrain and motor from rusted out truck. Motor was trashed because of PO not checking oil level. Trans and transfercase are fine(C6 and 205) I have a small block bellhousing for the swap if I need to go that way for a motor,or can use a motor that will bolt up to existing bellhousing. I believe the 44 has ball joints but is freshly rebuilt with all need parts last year(this I know for sure because I help do it.) Only about 50 miles on rebuild of front end. 4:10 gears all the way around.

Have a 93 2wd F250 that I was wanting to use the body of. It has a 302 in it as of now,with aDana 60 rear(4:10 gears)

What would be the best route to go? I'am open to all options !!!!!
Looking to have something to haul EB on a trailer or go and get EB parts with!!!

Thanks

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
If you have a F-250 and do a SAS, you need to put the F-350 springs under it. The geometry of the twin I beam suspension uses a lot stiffer spring. If I remember right the 250 springs are almost 3/4 of an inch think per leaf, the 350's are only 1/2 an inch thick. I had the 250 springs under mine for a while and almost couldn't stand the ride. After I put the 350 springs under it ride a lot better, it does still ride like a truck, but better than most Superdutys I have rode in. I did a shackle reversal on mine, just built a crossmember from side to side of the frame with 2x2 1/4 wall box. It was a great place to put a receiver hitch in case I got stuck. The slide in receiver winches work great.

Mine started out as a 2 wheel drive truck also, but I had a donor 4x4 F-250 truck so I had all the same year parts. You would be hard pressed to find a flaw in the 4x4 swap. The shackle flip is the only thing that is not factory. All the lights in the dash are there and prewired if you use the correct transfer case.

Here's a link to some of my pics from a coil sprung SAS I did

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/2272/10542

Below is a pic of my dually and one of the coil SAS I did. Any questions or pics needed let me know.

David

duallys-new-tires-and-wheels-5.5008-003.jpg

oa-5.jpg