• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

CB Radio

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
Does anyone still use CB radios? Looks like mine had one at but the PO took everything except the antenna holder. Is it good to have one? Might be helpful on the trail but everyone a has cell phone these days. Thoughts?

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've got a CB and a VHF radio, and a cell phone booster zip tied to the dash bar...

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
breaker break one nine, any one got a copy for a radio check com on'

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If your planning on trails it's a good device to have as many rigs have them just for that reason. Usually to hold up others in front of you and/or to advise of issues behind you. If your on the open road mostly it may depend more on the area your in. CB Radio traffic isn't what it used to be. Was another big boom in the early 90's at least in these area's.
You don't need anything elaborate on the trails but good to have a proper tune (between radio and antenna) just to keep the radio happy.

Last edited:

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Cell phones only work if there is a cell phone tower.
CB is much easier to talk to everyone in the group at the same time.

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
I have a VHF/UHF race radio in my Bronco. With the higher wattage, the range is far superior to CB which is one reason they are becoming so popular in the trail riding world.

I just purchased a 65w on Ebay for $125 that's programmable for my RAM that I use for chase support.

Ksm

Bronco Guru
I have one but I'm thinking of removing it and switching to a HAM. In 13 years I've only used the CB once so......yea.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
I installed a CB. Mainly for nostalgia. I grew up with them and we always had them in our cars through the 70's and 80's. Not so much in the 90's I guess. I remember when you needed a license to actually transmit. I was working at a lumber mill when in high school (mid 70's) and some of us were sitting in a guy's truck and he had a CB. I got ready to press the transmit button to say "Breaker, Breaker" and he was like "No, don't. I still don't have my license". We were like "Who is going to know?" but he wouldn't transmit.

It will be handy if I ever do go off road. Plus I have one in my FJ40 and me and the wife sometimes take both vehicles to a car show, and we chat on the CBs while driving and not be using the phone.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
I have a CB in my trail rig. I find it to be very handy when wheeling with a group.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
It depends on your group. I have CBs in a couple of my rigs. When we used to go to Moab for the jeep safari (I drove my eb) CBs and different channels for each trail. My friends and I used UHF to talk amongst or selves so we could keep the CB open for group talk. Not sure if they still use CBs? ??

Now it depends on who I'm with and we use what they have. Depending on Cell service here could get you in trouble. Just spent two days with out cell service.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
It depends on your group. I have CBs in a couple of my rigs. When we used to go to Moab for the jeep safari (I drove my eb) CBs and different channels for each trail. My friends and I used UHF to talk amongst or selves so we could keep the CB open for group talk. Not sure if they still use CBs? ??

Now it depends on who I'm with and we use what they have. Depending on Cell service here could get you in trouble. Just spent two days with out cell service.

This^^

Radios are great on the trail but different groups use different radios. And CB's are not the best ones! We've been using FRS hand-helds this summer in CO and they work a lot better. Some of the Texas guys are going to the Dual Band Ham FM radios which seem to work even better.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Some of the Texas guys are going to the Dual Band Ham FM radios which seem to work even better.

...because Texas is bigger and you need to talk farther. ;D

Since we're on the subject here... I'm wondering how much farther a 25 or 30 watt vhf will talk compared to a 5 or 8 watt handheld in a place like Hot Springs with all the hills and trees. Since the VHF is more sensitive to the line of sight transmission, will it out perform the CB (which is still under 5 watts) or will it get out much farther?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
at hot springs I can talk to anyone any where in the park with my 50 watt. The hand helds will cover about half of it (further from high point to high point). CB in my experience, I can yell farther.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
at hot springs I can talk to anyone any where in the park with my 50 watt. The hand helds will cover about half of it (further from high point to high point). CB in my experience, I can yell farther.

Yeller your costing me money!! I got the handhelds but may show up with the 25w waterproof mobile

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I have one of Rugged Radio's 25w units that I swap between the Toyota and Super Duty. It works really well and is a size that packages easy.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
I have one of Rugged Radio's 25w units that I swap between the Toyota and Super Duty. It works really well and is a size that packages easy.

Exactly what I intend on doing with mine bronco to f2fitty when hunting, the handhelds are the only ones we have used that will talk from the levy to the stands, about a mile through heavy oak trees, I figure the 25w would be a plus to have.

Just another plus to help justify it other than a week a year @ OCBR

snipes243

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntersville, NC
My buddies and I have switched to the boafeng radios. They work great for 20 bucks. I even have it hooked up to my intercom system.

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
My buddies and I have switched to the boafeng radios. They work great for 20 bucks. I even have it hooked up to my intercom system.

Those 5 watt hand-held radios are great. They're the same radio PCI and Rugged sells for over $50. They just have a different color case and they're not pre- programmed with all the race channels. I bought a 5 pack from Rugged a few years ago for $200. $20 is a smokin deal.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO

This is the one that some of the Texas guys are using. I need to order mine!