• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Its My Official Build Thread (new pic 06 nov2014)

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
here are the pics of ecoat on the tub

she is finally back home fresh from ecoat

Attachments

• ecoattub 001.jpg
    ecoattub 001.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 353
  • ecoattub 002.jpg
    ecoattub 002.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 331
  • ecoattub 003.jpg
    ecoattub 003.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 343

jon-r227

Nice build so far! Body looks sweet in e-coat. Hopefully I'll be there in a few weeks (just started my build last week and have already stripped it and replaced floor pans, inner rockers, kick's and inner fenders). Responding to your post in the other guy's thread about door posts. I have read a couple places that the driver's side has to be trimmed. My passenger side went in perfect and hardly had to move the post when I put the door in, but the passenger side is a train wreck. The inner fender doesn't line up with the kick panel extension and the flange on the front side of the kick panel is not vertical (bottom is kicked out toward the rear, so its angled forward). What kind of trimming and beating did you need to do to get yours squared up?

Also, might have missed it but can you recap your costs, sources, and turn-around times for acid dip and e-coat?

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
jon, i was just saying as a general rule you have to beat bang massage. just like with my floorpans, after i put them in had a gap. body hammer massage those gaps. my cost basically ended up being about 2 grand for strip and ecoat. both processes were slow, they have a lot of work. one thing i did that cost me a few bucks was brought the truck back home after the first strip. if i would have taken my floorpans over and got them dipped i would have saved a couple hundred, but instead he had to re-dip. if i had it to do over i would just do all the metal work send it over for strip and ecoat. got my dip and ecoat out of metal finishing services in jackson, ms.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
trans is built and have started on the transfer case.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Pooh, i am using the 4R70W with baumanator controller for now. i like the explorer wiring harness setup on here that is being discussed

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
working on getting the body back on frame so we can do body work. looks like this is gonna be a 10 year build lol.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
What is the purpose of the ecoat? I first assumed it would be applied like a plating getting everywhere which would be wonderful for cavities etc. however it looks like the sprayed it on so it only is applied where you see it. If that is the case, a good 2K epoxy would be just as good if not better perhaps? Please correct me if I am wrong, just trying to make sense of what I am seeing.

croft75

What is the purpose of the ecoat? I first assumed it would be applied like a plating getting everywhere which would be wonderful for cavities etc. however it looks like the sprayed it on so it only is applied where you see it. If that is the case, a good 2K epoxy would be just as good if not better perhaps? Please correct me if I am wrong, just trying to make sense of what I am seeing.

me to , far as I know coat is a dipping process , I wonder if it was powder coated

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
it has been dipped not sprayed as in new car e-coat process. a contract company who does work for Nissan dipped it, that includes the frame too.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
got the body back on the frame last night.

Attachments

• IMG_00000110.jpg
    IMG_00000110.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 214
OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
thanks. took the doors and grill today to get them stripped. feels good to be headed north again on the build. I am working mechanical stuff while I wait on the doors. we will get the doors and fenders fitted before starting body work. I have most of the mechanical stuff like engine, trans, tcase. wiring harnesses (efi and body)

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Bringing this ecoat build back to the top! Any updates or are you still thawing out?

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
no i am regrouping and freshening up the engine. will pull the body back off and run all lines and re-install body. ran into some issues on the engine build so it gonna take a little longer. decided it would be easier to run all the lines with the body off.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I'm looking at possibly e-coating my tub when the time comes. It's becoming a bear finding a company will to do it that's not contracted out by BMW, Toyota, Ford, GM, blah blah blah. I'm in SC and I'm having to resort to GA, next will look into NC.