• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Don Barlow's Crazy Horse

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
Thanks to Todd Zuercher for putting me in touch with Don Barlow we figured out the history on this old Bronco! I know it is hard to see, but It is Don's old race Bronco Crazy Horse!

Don had some great story's on how it came to be.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
So happy that another great historical race Bronco has been found and will be saved!

Todd Z.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
That's awesome Ed.. Glad you were able to track the info down

hucklburry rev2

From the pics I haven't spotted one thing that looks like a clue, even the front of the rear wheel opening looks changed.

What lead you to this, straight VIN/ownership stuff or was there something in/on the Bronco that started you down this path?

Cool stuff!

OP
OP
Gud Racing

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
From the pics I haven't spotted one thing that looks like a clue, even the front of the rear wheel opening looks changed.

What lead you to this, straight VIN/ownership stuff or was there something in/on the Bronco that started you down this path?

Cool stuff!

It started because the Bronco is too well built, and it wasn't built for short course or tough truck. It was built for going long distance racing and was vintage. In other words it had to of raced out west or north of the border.

I spent hours up late looking through old pictures and found several similarities. (Todd was a help here too.) I sent some pictures to a few friends pointing out the similarities asking what they thought. Todd gave me Don Barlow's phone number. I called him up and asked him what he thought.

The story from the guy I bought it from, although unbelievable added up the more I looked it over.
It was more of a "I know this is a long shot, BUT". It is a 1974, It didn't start off built by Bill Stroppe like he said, but was kind of from Bill Stroppe, Bill found it for Don. I was told it was built and raced in CA then sold to someone in the Crandon area. One of the Hopkins brothers told me in the 90's that it came from up north of us.

Don said his was a 1974 and Mark Vest made a lot of changes to it, then sold it to someone out East. He then had me send over detailed pictures.

Don called me up the next day and confirmed it.

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Awesome detective work! I was following on RDC. Are you planning on racing NORRA with it?

OP
OP
Gud Racing

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
Awesome detective work! I was following on RDC. Are you planning on racing NORRA with it?

We are planing on racing it and replacing our Ranger with it. It will take some time to pull it completely down and clean it up. It looks like its been sitting in a creek somewhere. It's just sad...

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yup, totally awesome. Good sluething!!! Best way to figure it out. Forensics..THEN memory to back it up. Not the other way around.

Andrew

OP
OP
Gud Racing

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
I spent a little time this weekend looking over the old Bronco. Threw on some slots to get a good idea on how it should look. The thing needs a lot of work, but should be a fun build. I posted the picture up on the book of faces. It was cool of Ivan Stewart to chime in!

OP
OP
Gud Racing

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
I haven't taken a single one and it doesn't even have the body on it right now. I will post more when I actually start working on it.

OP
OP
Gud Racing

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
Hopefully soon I will have some good vintage pictures of it. I purchased some high resolution photos from Jim at Trackside Photo. He really had a great span that shows the evolution. It doesn't look like it changed much from the mid 80's on. I just wish I had the wing!

OP
OP
Gud Racing

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
Time to get back on this thing.
feb191de757a520cbbc7463e14b2211e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Excellent