• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Figuring out the '69 'changeover' date

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the info, Rex! Looks like yours was an Oct. '68 build.

Todd Z.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Now we're getting some action! Glad you brought this up Todd.
There do seem to be a lot of '69's with members here, so eventually I'm betting we narrow things down pretty good.

But you mentioned another thing that got me thinking too. Didn't some early '69's also come with 289's still? Or was it that some late '68's got the 302? I can't remember, but seems like some 289's ran a bit late.

Be interested to find out.

Ooh!!! And anybody anywhere that finds out that they have one of those oddball ultra-rare "hybrid" front differentials should mention it as well. That's where the center section was a 44, but the tubes and outers were 30-sized and running king-pins bearings.
I think more '70 model year Broncos had them than other years, but pretty sure I've heard of some '68's and '69's getting them as well.

Paul

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
There do seem to be a lot of '69's with members here, so eventually I'm betting we narrow things down pretty good.

But you mentioned another thing that got me thinking too. Didn't some early '69's also come with 289's still? Or was it that some late '68's got the 302? I can't remember, but seems like some 289's ran a bit late.

Ooh!!! And anybody anywhere that finds out that they have one of those oddball ultra-rare "hybrid" front differentials should mention it as well. That's where the center section was a 44, but the tubes and outers were 30-sized and running king-pins bearings.
I think more '70 model year Broncos had them than other years, but pretty sure I've heard of some '68's and '69's getting them as well.

Paul

The only place I've ever seen a 289 referenced with regards to the '69 model year is a '69 PR photo from Ford of Canada that shows a truck with 289 badging on it. I've chalked that one up to Ford not having a truck with 302 emblems on it yet when the advance PR photos were needed. No one else probably notices but those of us geeks that follow the nuances closely get all excited when we see such discrepancies :). If someone with an Aug '68 build could chime in, it might help answer that question.

The 44s with kingpins are another oddity - I've always chalked those up to HD service replacements but who knows. I do know that Stroppe had them by the late 60s for their racers. Someone should ask James Duff what his memory of them was too.

Todd Z.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK

Paul

There's 12/68' with 302 from the Marti thread.

I'm pretty sure I've posted in a 71' Dana30/44 thread on here before a couple of years ago maybe? I know of 3 12/70' builds in the Marti thread with Dana 44, and there's a 9/70' built with a Dana 30 in there.

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
There's 12/68' with 302 from the Marti thread.

I'm pretty sure I've posted in a 71' Dana30/44 thread on here before a couple of years ago maybe? I know of 3 12/70' builds in the Marti thread with Dana 44, and there's a 9/70' built with a Dana 30 in there.

I looked in the Marti thread and found the 12/68 truck with a 302. Since mine was built on 9/04/68 and had the 302, I'm thinking it's safe to assume all others after that had the 302.

I have a vintage Ford ad that states all Broncos built from 9/27/70 on had the 44 (again, would need more Martis to show if that's true), so a few built in 9/70 with 30s yet would make sense.

Todd Z.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
^^^^ yes agreed. Did find it interesting that those 12/70' 71' builds mentioned Dana 44 on the Marti, but my 12'/70 71' doesn't lol.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The D44 supposedly was installed on all starting with K20001, Nov '70.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Does the Dana BOM of some sort state that info?

Probably more accurate than my magazine ad!

Todd Z.

I believe I got that sequence number from a Hollander Interchange manual many years ago.

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Todd. I have two '69s both of which have vacuum wipers and folding windshield. I am posting the vins, but I think they are a little earlier than the vin/date that you are looking for.

Attachments

• 1969 Sport 1.4.JPG
    1969 Sport 1.4.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 1969 Bronco (Blur) vin.JPG
    1969 Bronco (Blur) vin.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Hey Todd. I have two '69s both of which have vacuum wipers and folding windshield. I am posting the vins, but I think they are a little earlier than the vin/date that you are looking for.

Thanks Dennis - yes, those are both Sept. 68 builds. Good to know though!

Todd Z.

OP
OP
toddz69

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

That first one isn't too far off from mine - 96390 is mine.

Todd Z.

Jakedog

I too have a 69 with electric wipers. The date is stamped on it. I'll take a pic and post it.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
I have a 69 with vacuum wipers and hood latch.

U15GLD97253. I haven't run a report on it

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
Sure thing. Out of curiosity, anyone seen 68' doors with the removable uppers on a 69? Seems that Ford was quick to get away from those.

thorgan

This thread has me very curious. Mine is a '69 with electric wipers, fold down windshield with the big chrome knobs (no windshield bolts), 302 (originally, now has 427 Windsor), windshield hold down U-bolt on the hood (originally, now has fiberglass hood), large front turn signal lenses, Dana 30 (originally, now it's got a '78 F250 Dana 44). Only problem is that I've committed just some of the VIN to memory because there's a discrepancy. The VIN on the frame doesn't match the VIN on the plate in the glove box by only one digit. Where there's a "3" on the frame, there's an "8" on the VIN plate. The title matches the VIN plate.

I always assumed that it was human error because a 3 and an 8 look very similar and because I'm only the 2nd owner. Plus, I grew up in the same neighborhood where the original owner lived and remain good friends with the original owner. He never had any reason to replace the VIN plate or re-stamp the frame.

Anyway, I will post up the VIN when I reunite with my Bronco tonight. Seems it may tell a story of sorts.