• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My '71 Bronco Build

OP
OP
firehawk

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
Drove it today, still need to adjust the shift points for the 4R70W, is there a thread for beginners?

Had a problem today with my cooling fan, installed a Derale cooling fan relay kit and after I got home from test driving it I was going to go for a fun cruise and noticed my fan was not coming on. Checked the fuse under the hood and the plastic holder was melted. I think it had a 30a fuse in it, it was green I think.

Seems the fan has too much draw for it, I took the wires out of the melted fuse holder and held them together and the fan worked but the connectors got hot. I am surprised the fuse just didn't blow. I tried a 25a and a 30a fuse and they both popped right when I turned the switch on.

Is it a problem with the wires going to the fan are not big enough? I matched the same size on the fan. It is from a ford fusion I think. I was going to see what amps it was pulling but not sure how to do it and my multimeter only goes to 10a fused and didn't want to ruin it. I plan to google it and or search how to properly do it on youtube, they are two of my best diagnostic tools.

What is the best setup for running a relay for a fan?

OP
OP
firehawk

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
The fuse for the fan decided to melt the fuse holder instead of just blow and the fuel injectors are dripping. I ordered a o-ring kit from Summit so that should solve that problem but what to do with the fan relay setup? It is a Derale unit that I bought from Amazon, they gave me a refund without having to return the charred crap and a $10 credit on my account, I told them they are lucky it didn't burn my Bronco to the ground, well Derale is lucky.

Then I wired the fan through a starter relay even though I know they are not rated for continuous use and thats right they are not up to it, got halfway to work when it went out and that it also when I found the leaky injectors. All these weeks of running it in the garage and they never leaked until now.

I need to measure the draw from the fan to determine the amp rating for a relay as the one that came in the kit is only a 20a or 30a not sure right now(need to learn how first). I have a 40a to put in there now but needed to get home and take my truck to work.

Better get a fire extinguisher tomorrow.