• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

WI "The Holy Grail" of the Big Broncos

DaveG

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I guess some of you are not familiar with the Free Wheelin' package. Those decals are awesome! They are supposed to be flashy - in fact they are reflective. If it's truly as nice as it looks in the pics $15K is a good price. They are very rare in that condition.

I had never heard of them myself.. pretty cool

SettersRule

Loc.
Fort Payne AL
Not ANY BRONCO ..

Yes! But you could get them on any Bronco also.

I owned one of the 1st 3, '78's ever sold in the SE Region ... mine was the "Show Truck" at the Dealer unveiling in Atlanta. 2 tone White/Brown Metallic XLT Trim pkg., cloth insert, short back bucket seats without console AND NO REAR SEAT ... coolest Bronco I ever owned.

My Dad was the Sales Manager at our local FORD dealership back then ... I ordered (and Sold) 7 in '78 and 5 in '79.

I still own an original paint (white) '78 XLT with 50k original miles, EVERY AVAILABLE OPTION ... 460 engine conversion (still have the original 400 on engine stand).

I'm positive the stripes could not be ordered on an XLT trim package Bronco.

I'm sure some dealer somewhere added them at some point ... but NO WAY would FORD put them on a XLT trim truck ... I tried !!!

May not be the coolest thing now ... but the free wheeling package and Explorer package was WAY COOL in the late '70's ... XLT was where the money was however ...

I ordered one (against my Dad's suggestion) and had a terrible time selling it ... middle aged men (who had the money in the late'70's) would not be caught dead in one of these striped up Bronco's ... "surfer dude" trucks was what gentlemen in our town called them !!!

The stripes on the truck shown above are 'Explorer stripes and the ones on the truck for sale are 'Free Wheelin package stripes ... I am 99.9 % sure of this !!!

This Bronco is a VERY RARE truck ... would love to see a Marti on it ... those high bucket seats with cloth inserts have to be one of a kind in a Free Wheeling Package trim Bronco. Most Explorer and Free Wheelin trim trucks were striped up CUSTOM's

Trucks are worth what 1 person will take and what another will give ... but TRY AND FIND ANOTHER for 15K ... ain't happening guys and girls !!!

Be Safe All, Jimmy B.
War Damn Eagle !!!

thepunisher

Loc.
summertown,
There are two free wheelin package broncos in my area, I've seen them on the road. One Lewis county tag and one Marshall county tag.

DaveG

They could be added to an XLT Ranger.. looking for window sticker but here is a 100% factory stock truck below: (stripes were on window sticker.. not dealer added)

IMG_2085_zps7db65db4.jpg

Last edited:

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They could be added to an XLT Ranger.. looking for window sticker but here is a 100% factory stock truck below: (stripes were on window sticker.. not dealer added)

IMG_2085_zps7db65db4.jpg

What a great looking Bronco. The 78/79's are still one of my fav yrs for Ford Trucks and Broncos, they were built really good, had great AC/heat, and drove nice, they were just an all around good rig

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
Somebody (Drew) needs to start reproducing! Sounds like there might be some CB.comers interested in adding a stripped '78/79 to the corral

OP
OP
clarrance

clarrance

Bronco Guru
The chromatic stripe kits are already being reproduced. A guy over at Full Size Bronco website makes them.

OX1

Bronco Guru
Rare is the tri-color stripes in blue/white/green. Heck I've never seen one in person and can't even find one pic of them online.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
The chromatic stripe kits are already being reproduced. A guy over at Full Size Bronco website makes them.

He should start making the sport stripe kits for the 70s stepside chebbys

I'd post pics but tapatalk got upgraded and won't let me

DaveG

I know that the thread is a few years old but I finally found the Marti report from my old Bronco that shows it was not a free wheelin edition, yet it was ordered from the factory and built with the chromatic stripes.

IMG_1216_zpsmxk5qlh3.jpg

Last edited:

DaveG

Air brushed? My Free wheeling stripes were decals and are reflective.

yes. They are decals and reflective.

If you ordered a FW package the standard stripes that came with it were the tri-color FW stripes as shown in these pics

You could also order "airbrush" stripes shown below

Last edited: