• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Duffs long tube header clearance

Casey835

Is it ok to do a lil clearanceing with hammer and some other blunt object to get a lil extra room or can I expect to destroy the ceramic coating. Around the the tubes where the fasteners go is the problem area in question. Very little is needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nickgp

Bronco Guru
You may want to try starting the hardest ones first. Had the same issue on my 351 powered steed. Also, a little grinder work on some of your favorite open and box wrenches helps.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I saw a video on youtube somewhere that brought this subject up. They had an engine with headers that was hooked up to a dyno. They tested it with a new set of headers first and beat the crap out of the tubes to see what the difference would be. In the end even after total carnage to the headers the numbers on the dyno were very close. As you said the coating will be damaged but according to their test performance was still close to the same.

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I ran into this same problem on my headers (different brand). There are different header bolts that help. What I did is in post #23 of my build thread in my sig. I didn't clearance my headers but was able to get the bolts tight (and stay tight).