• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Posts in the rear of hard top?

Dyehard

Is it safe to remove the posts or stakes (not sure what they are called) in the rear of the hard top and leave them out while running with the top on?

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
With the metal top on it will cause the bed to spread at the tailgate in most cases. Soft top or no top it's ok. I put mine back after it spread.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Yes, pull them them if you wish. Your paint will thank you also lol.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I've been running a soft top, bikini or half cab for ~7 years with no spreading problem. ...one more data point.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
If you have a swing away tire carrier those stakes also help support the right rear corner.

OP
OP
Dyehard

Dyehard

I don't want the top or bed to expand but I guess I'm more worried about safety. Do the stakes provide much more assurance that the top won't blow off while running down the highway at 65 mph or are they more for alignment?

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
I don't want the top or bed to expand but I guess I'm more worried about safety. Do the stakes provide much more assurance that the top won't blow off while running down the highway at 65 mph or are they more for alignment?[/QUOT

It's four more bolts, right?!? As long as it's bolted down everywhere else, it should be fine, but four more bolts is just four more bolts of added insurance. That's just my opinion.

However, like a previous poster implied, it does add an additional precarious element when you are removing it and it scrapes against the body. Been there, done that!

House

Minutia Militia
IIRC the posts include nutserts for the rear hatch lift arms, so you are going to have to figure that out also...

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I don't want the top or bed to expand but I guess I'm more worried about safety. Do the stakes provide much more assurance that the top won't blow off while running down the highway at 65 mph or are they more for alignment?

No. If all other bolts or there. Matter of fact I once put mine back on n skipped every other bolt on the bed rail but made sure all at the windshield frame(where it bolts) were in.

Not everyone's tailgate n liftgate spreads but mine did. Jus sayin...

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Is there a cage under the top? There's plenty of pics of the flimsy arse hartop going flat in a rollover. Most of em are on the road not out playing. If no cage every little bit of bracing helps or should I say might help.

OP
OP
Dyehard

Dyehard

Yes there is a cage. The picture in my avatar was taken just before I bought the bronco. I have since added a cage.

FOMOCO_1546

Loc.
Central Pennsylvania
Cut the posts off between top and bed. That way they will still be there, but no paint damage removing top. I did this to an extra set I have. I haven't restored my hard top yet because my wife doesn't want me to put it on.

matts460

Its an extra source of alighnment for the top. keeps the sides of top from floppin side to side because the top sides are flimsy. With out them only the windshield frame will be holding the top steady, probably is hard on the windshield frame too over time. Think of it like a car with back wheels on with one loose lug nut hold rims. look like the car is waging its ass while driving. Put a roof rack with lots of gear on that hard top without those braces then drive down some rough trails. Think about it.

rydog1130

Bronco Guru
The top I bought has one about to fall off and the other is gone, the rest of the top is in great shape. I was hopping to go with out those as I could picture those post scratching the piss out of the paint when putting it back on...glad others have confirmed my thoughts

Unknown

Contributor
As far as messing up your paint: Your top can be set on the Bronco without the corner post installed. Then remover your taillight lenses and buckets. The corner post can then be fished up into place and bolted up.

rydog1130

Bronco Guru
As far as messing up your paint: Your top can be set on the Bronco without the corner post installed. Then remover your taillight lenses and buckets. The corner post can then be fished up into place and bolted up.

Good to know! You get your bronco out yet?