• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Took my top off

matts460

So my wife susprised me by telling me she orderd a new bestop from wildhorses, when she placed what was supposed to be a small order for odds and ends. She had a fund just for soft top for our anniversary but that is in Sept, she was like what fun is that, put on soft top just in time for cold weather. So since the top is on the way I decided we should remove the hard top and just keep bronco in garage toppless until it comes in. We spent two hours total unbolting top and I removed lift gate and backed my 69 ranger f100 tailgate to tailgate with the bronco and we lifted and walked the top into the bed of the truck. Man with the Vista Cruiser glass (garage pics) I forgot how heavy the top is But we did it all by ourselves! And wow was my youngest boy happy camper, after we put up tools and installed rear seat back into the bronco we just had to go for a ride around town. He's never been in convertible. It was chilly 60 deg out but it was fun, hopfully we can have a fun summer with top down and doors off.

gooch66

Loc.
Germantown, TN
I rode with the doors off a few weeks ago. The temps were 40’s in the morning and 60 to 70 in the afternoon and it was fun. I still have the hard top but I ordered a bikini top from WH yesterday and I am going to be ready for the summer. I may get a cover to keep on it at work just in case it rains.

OP
OP
matts460

matts460

That sounds interesting hmm. Its also funny how much smaller the bronco looks now with top off.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
They drive so much nicer without the heavy hard top most out here never put it back on. If you're running a back seat I highly recommend a family cage. Especially if you're hauling kids.

gooch66

Loc.
Germantown, TN
They drive so much nicer without the heavy hard top most out here never put it back on. If you're running a back seat I highly recommend a family cage. Especially if you're hauling kids.

My cage is a sport version I guess, no family cage because I am not running with a back seat. Thought about getting a full Rampage soft top for the winter and completely ditching the hard top. Winters here are not that cold.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Matts460, read your 1st post and thought "man, you got a really cool wife!" suprises like that are pretty neat. Hope nice weather gets here soon... :cool:

OP
OP
matts460

matts460

Thanks Man! She the best! We both worked really hard together doing body work and interior and motor work, putting the truck back together so we can drive and enjoy it.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I've had my bronco for about a year. Never put the hard top on and recently sold it. Not as a daily driver but I drove it all winter with only the bikini top on. It was surprisingly warm and the heater does a great job. I may end up getting a Rampage soft top but for how I use it, I still haven't decided. Actually, I would have already bought it except for the tinted windows :-(

Last edited:

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Time to take the wife and the Bronco on a romantic road trip. Taker her to the beach where you can actually drive out on the sand and make some memories.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And wow was my youngest boy happy camper, after we put up tools and installed rear seat back into the bronco we just had to go for a ride around town. He's never been in convertible.

We assume you already have a roll cage in it?

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
You'll have loads of fun w/that top off... Glad you got that sucker off