• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Crank pulley removal

Jfromtn

Loc.
Leoma, TN
Haven't started yet.just got a pic of the bolts of the crank pulley.do these take regular socket or something special with the heads?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jfromtn

Jfromtn

Loc.
Leoma, TN
Haven't started yet.just got a pic of the bolts of the crank pulley.do these take regular socket or something special with the heads?

Haven't started yet.just got a pic of the bolts of the crank pulley.do these take regular socket or something special with the heads? 20180322_160709.jpg

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Normal bolts. The damper is an interference fit and takes a puller to remove from the crank.

OP
OP
Jfromtn

Jfromtn

Loc.
Leoma, TN
Do i need to use the puller to put it back on? First time doing this.what torque does the center bolt need to be when I reinstall it after replacing the crank pulley? Thanks

OP
OP
Jfromtn

Jfromtn

Loc.
Leoma, TN
Also will the pulley try to turn ? Should I use an impact wrench? Dont have one but i can probably find one.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
If you just want the pulley off, then take the three small bolts out. The dampener can stay put. You can put a socket on the center bolt to hold the pulley still to remove the small bolts.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
The three bolts hold the pulley to the harmonic balancer. If you only want to remove the pulley then you will not need a puller. Just take out the three bolts.

If you are removing the pulley and harmonic balancer then take out the center bolt. You may not need a puller. Some balancers just slip right off, others put up a fight.

You may get lucky and get the center bolt loose with a quick pull on a breaker bar. Some people wedge the breaker bar against the frame, pull the coil wire, and bump the starter.

When putting it back on, just torque it to 70-90 foot pounds. The three pulley bolts should be 35-50 pounds.

Last edited:

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, if you are removing the balancer you can lock the engine by putting the Bronco in gear if you have a 3 spd.
Sometimes just holding the fan will hold the engine from turning. An impact gun is the easiest way.
You will need a harmonic balancer puller, which pulls from the 3 bolt holes. Do not try a jaw puller because it will pull the outer ring off the balancer. Once the balancer starts to come off, just jiggle it off. You can get a puller from auto parts stores for less than $30. Good luck

OP
OP
Jfromtn

Jfromtn

Loc.
Leoma, TN
Ok so i got the crank pulley off easy!i also got my water pump off easy! Trying to get the alternator pulley off to install double pulley on all three and cant get the alt pulley to stop turning! Tried a long screw driver and when i tried undoing the nut a couple blades bent from pressure from the screwdriver thru them! Thought this would have been the easiest but it's the hardest

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I've worked on my own alternators for years. I've never needed to use an impact on that nut.
Most alternator shafts have an allen socket in the end to hold while tightening the pulley/fan.

OP
OP
Jfromtn

Jfromtn

Loc.
Leoma, TN
Yeah I didn't use the allen socket to hold it tight. Lol