• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1977 SC Bronco Build

OP
OP
Crawdad

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Wanted to update this thread since it has been a while and at the moment I have an enormous amount of time on my hands. I'm still collecting parts, picked up a factory 76-77 box and single return Sagi pump compliments of BroncosbyBart. Thx a bunch Charles! Did not have a chance to powder coat my frame before I left for another deployment. Should have some time off when I get back to finish the frame. I hope my Per Diem, Hostile Fire Pay, etc is enuff to pay for a new lift! I'll update this thread after a few weeks after I get back. I've first gotta play daddy when I get back! See yaw in a few!

OP
OP
Crawdad

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Thx guys! I didn't think I would have The Lone Survivor read already just two weeks in, but man that book was hard to put down! One more book and there is nothing else for me to read. This is a new place and no collection of magazines have been established. Lots of down time but when work comes it really comes! No broncos over here, in fact there is not much of anything where I'm at. Kandahar spoiled me, but at least the food is a lot better!

OP
OP
Crawdad

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
A lil update since I've been back from across the pond. My three month old baby girl just keeps smiling at me, makes it very hard to wanna go outside and do anything. But I did manage to slide out of the house at 430am on Saturday and head to Charlotte. After years and years of pestering I finally talked BroncosbyBart to sell me his Crab Cage. One helluva guy to come out of bed at 7am to help me load my new cage. Thx a bunch Charles, remember my wife thinks you are giving it to me for free! While up there I met up with Gweiner. Glenn has a beautiful red bronco with original paint job. Thx Glenn for the parts and thx for showing off your bronco. And lastly I want to thank Casey835 for the 5.0 motor he sold me two weeks ago. Thx to all these guys my punch list is getting smaller and smaller. Thx again guys!

ncsubronc

Can't wait to see it come together buddy! Glad to hear you are enjoying the new little one...I'd say thats worth not spending time working on the Bronco. ;)

OP
OP
Crawdad

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Wanted to update this thread a little bit. With all the jobs on my Honey-Do List, I have managed to squeeze in some time on my project. I bought a used WH 3.5" SL last year and I'm in the middle of sand blasting all the parts. I'm spraying with Rustoleum Enamal Primer then with Rustoleum Gloss Blk. I know it sounds like a broken record but the frame will get coated soon. Just got to move out toys and doors that have collected under the carport.

OP
OP
Crawdad

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Sandblasted and primered/ painted

Here is a pic of the shocks that were once slightly rusty. Sorry it's sideways!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crawdad

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Reconditioning the WH rear springs

Here is a pic of the old springs getting some primer after being blasted. Again, sorry for being sideways.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Casey835

Hey progress! Bout time. Sometimes it happens that way. You've made more progress than me, all I've done to mine is drive it to eat Mexican.

OP
OP
Crawdad

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I installed the 77 frame onto the rotisserie I built. Now you can see the negatives of having your frame galvanized. I have three weeks to sand, grind and replace rear shock mounts.

The link to the rotisserie build I started: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253746

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
OP
OP
Crawdad

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
The shock mounts look pitiful.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 139
OP
OP
Crawdad

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Ordered new rear shock mounts, track bar bushings and 7 degree C-bushings from Paul yesterday. I really do try and buy from all our vendors but it's hard to pass up Paul on Mondays and their stuff really is top notch. I'll take $12 shipping any day! Thx Paul!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hah! Sure beats the 33 (or whatever it was) I came up with on the first pass! Well worth cross-checking the computer with the guys in the back who actually do the shipping.
It's not like that method works every time of course, but whenever something just doesn't seem right, it's worth questioning.

Enjoy the mad rush to get it all installed. And yeah, those do look pretty bad. Wasn't picturing things quite that ugly when you were describing it on the phone.
Be good to get the new stuff on there.

Best of luck!

Paul

OP
OP
Crawdad

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Thx Paul, got your stuff yesterday. Started removing one of the rear shock mounts and man I'm glad I decided to replace them. Some serious scale inside! May the grinding begin!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 129
OP
OP
Crawdad

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Wanted to bring this one back to the top so it doesn't get archived. Finished up with all the final welds for all those brackets. But life has just gotten in the way. Fishing with dad, floods, kiddos, work and now deer hunting seem to have put themselves in my way of progress. I sorta miss you Crazies!

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Wanted to bring this one back to the top so it doesn't get archived. Finished up with all the final welds for all those brackets. But life has just gotten in the way. Fishing with dad, floods, kiddos, work and now deer hunting seem to have put themselves in my way of progress. I sorta miss you Crazies!

I'm just glad that you're in SC and not deployed somewhere!!!! Now go get to work!!!;D;D;D

OP
OP
Crawdad

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I'm just glad that you're in SC and not deployed somewhere!!!! Now go get to work!!!;D;D;D

Thx Ben! I actually did get back from Poland earlier this year. It is very beautiful over there. But once back the wife needed me to step up and help. Her taking care of two very young kids has gotta be tough while I'm away. My 18 month old daughter is six months away from going to daycare. At that point I will get back my Fridays. Right now she is climbing, pulling, pushing most everything within sight. I promise I'll get back at it soon.
Matt