• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 Yoke Sealing

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
I realized that I did not put an o-ring or sealant on the splines of the yokes before I put the washer and nuts on, so of course it is leaking. Question: I know I need to drain the oil first. But do I need to remove the yoke ( especially the lower yoke, since the rig is just the frame right now and has not been driven, so no oil has reached the upper yoke yet ) to get the spines clean enough to then apply the silicone sealant. Or can I just drain, remove the nut and washer, try to clean as best as possible, then apply the sealant?

Thanks

SHX669

Bronco Guru
It's been a while but i think you can just remove the nut and washer i think the o ring goes behind the washer - I think - LOL.
I'm sure someone who actually knows will chime in soon - or you can go the WHs website and look at their schematic.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Just need to remove the nut and washer. It goes between the yoke and washer. You don't need to put one on the rear yoke. It's above oil level and doesn't tend to leak through the splines.

RVH

Loc.
Fort Collins, CO
Searching the forums to find the answer to this one, so thought it best to revive this thread rather then start a new one.

Can someone give me the "101 how to"on this topic. I just want to be sure I am properly mitigating any leaks from the yolk splines and if I need something other then what is included in the common "D20 re-seal kits"

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
Is it a specific oring, size, thickness

Searching the forums to find the answer to this one, so thought it best to revive this thread rather then start a new one.

Can someone give me the "101 how to"on this topic. I just want to be sure I am properly mitigating any leaks from the yolk splines and if I need something other then what is included in the common "D20 re-seal kits"

I get the O-rings from my local Ace hardware. 1.200" O.D. x .140" thick I believe.
Installed with a light coat of Dow Corning 55 o-ring lubricant does the trick for me.