• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fiberglass Body Good or Bad Opinion

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
Little more fuel for the fire.....kentrol tub fenders, and a glass hood. Also 351 Fuel injected
55153d4aef0730060e155fdf906a1f3c.jpg
05d6c1d5378e8eccb421628e45d3e5f2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kbpony

I am building a Glass bodied Bronco. Kentrol tub and inner fenders, BD hood and doors, unknown fenders, ws frame, and half cab. Steel grill, tailgate and dash. Very time consuming, but hopefully the last time I change the body. As you have determined, Kentrol is no longer producing bodies. Their last version of production was pretty decent, the older ones were questionable. I did speak to the former owner of BroncoDesigns, and he would have been willing to cut the rear fenders and glass in a set of flares for a integrated cut look. I don't remember the extra cost. You should check with Cory, son of the new owner. They may be willing to the same for a nominal charge. They have by far the best quality body on the market today.

OP
OP
J

jblood79

Loc.
Tulsa
Thanks for all of the advice and guidance on this question. I just ordered a BroncoDesign tub with cut rear fender wells and bonded on fender flares, front fenders, grill and requested fiberglass shim material. They have an 8 months lead time currently.

Thanks again. I may revive this thread when I start putting it together.
JB

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
choice between glass'n metal

What's it like. Never saw 1.
When U slam a door? lift the hood? bounce offa tree?

(I've had lrg boats & bet the latter would do BETTER than metal !)

Some 1 stated they'd swapped prts between companies - can I put a WH's buckaroo on a BD's tub, etc?

Still lota Qs 4 me...

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware

Some 1 stated they'd swapped prts between companies - can I put a WH's buckaroo on a BD's tub, etc?

Still lota Qs 4 me...
I don't C Y U couldn't swap the prts.

t120r

What the OP needs to know is the vast amount of work involved in fitting a tub together. NO 2 pieces of composite will ever be the same. I have gone through 2 quarts of resin so far and only have the grill and fenders mounted in place... Not bolted yet. Not one premarked hole will be correct, so you will be assembling your tub using your factory pieces as drill jigs.
It is a TON of work. Hopefully worth it when complete.

Deano

Bronco Guru
My FG body was well worth the time I put into it getting all the panels lined and squared
acabcbe08e901cd194a541eca2e16397.jpg

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
Y?

Some 1 stated they'd swapped prts between companies - can I put a WH's Buckaroo hood on a BD's tub, etc?
Still lota Qs 4 me...

OK, some of that helps.
"I don't C Y not " isn't nuanced enuff 4 me - I can C Y not, myself...
(fitting is a bitch on metal too, depending on company. just can't tell which is more time consuming and equp. heavy. I built my uncle a 65' fiberglass sloop rigged motor sailer upside down in a shed @ end of Mississippi River. In the late '70s A mig & accompanying tools is quicker than the penny rollers and resin).
I get enthusiastic responses frm the glass owners but not Y they say so. I fear the same probs after roughing up the glass (not frm abrasions or collisions, just the natural pounding) while on a trail as the metal…will the wood inserts crack out/through? will the metal ribs rust out/through?

uncletom

Loc.
Mass City
My Bronco has developed a couple spider cracks in the hood, other than that, I haven't noticed any other issues. However I don't crash and bash it off road.
I put the body on 34 years ago.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
Y glass?

interesting, thnx Tom.
on rd use only…how many mi p/yr U think over those decades? or total…

"...spider cracks…"
that means just the gelcoat? No flacking off of chunks?

uncletom

Loc.
Mass City
I have no idea how many miles I've driven it. I never used it for a daily driver, but the first 2-3 years I used it quite a bit. Then I spent time rebuilding a motor and installing it. Ended up getting married and that took up most of my time and the Bronco sat in the woods for a few years. About 5 years ago my wife told me she had never ridden in it and wanted a ride so I got it going again. We have been using it on occasion since.
Spider cracks are common on snowmobile hoods. They are very fine cracks , like spokes on a wheel. About the size of a half dollar.
The new 'glass bodies are much nicer than mine. Much better quality. I was looking at them at the "supercelebration".

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
Thanks again, Tom. (This site is more friendly than it used to b). Appreciate it.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
here you see the difference between fiberglass fender and the steel rocker, as well as the 1/4 that would of been a rumpled mess as I have dropped down on it twice in the same spot as well as my glass grille that got tree whacked at a good clip going up a very, very steep incline that I was not letting up on. My tub is steel but just about all bolt on exterior panels. The durability of the glass is what sold me to do my project rig that way. I primarily daily drive mine but have taken it up some nasty trails and at the same time I am not afraid to use it.....:cool:

Attachments

• rocker1.jpg
    rocker1.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 86
  • rocker2.jpg
    rocker2.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 81
  • quarter1.jpg
    quarter1.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 81
  • grille1.jpg
    grille1.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 83
  • tasker1.jpg
    tasker1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 75299_1614580561015_3915035_n.jpg
    75299_1614580561015_3915035_n.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 74

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
Expensive but you can buy a whole new metal tub as well. I seen the Bronco design fiberglass tub and they are nice. I think they also offer something assembled.

Either one of the options will require a decent amount of work. I think many folks underestimate just how much work it takes. Many times you can find projects on craigslist often. Fiberglass tubs are nasty working on drilling cutting etc. Either way I am sure that you will be happy Once it is FINISHED.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
Ck-In w/Tasker.
He's haddit a good while!
Lotsa Off Rding 2.

Different strokes…
(I'd like fenders'n hood only...