• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

PS pump mods

broncomatt

Looking for any info on mods for a saginaw ps pump. I'm running one with dual returns from a gm truck. Its the pump pressure that makes the box work stronger so what i'm hearing is I can upgrade the spring for the pressure bypass.
Anybody know of this mod? Any mods to the pump?

OP
OP
broncomatt

broncomatt

Somebody must have tried some mods to the ps pump, lets hear them!
How about suggesting another good vehicle application?

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
There is a link some where with mods. It included stretching the spring to I think 2". opening up the hole in the flow piston a small amount to help with idle and low rpm pressure. All mods should be done in small increments.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Found it, but had to cut and paste. Sorry no pics. I don't know who to give credit to....

First off, I want to clarify that these mods are designed for OFFROAD USE ONLY!!! And any damages that occur as a result of these mods are the responsibility of the owner. we are just trying to help you with ideas on improving power.

This was designed to work with hydro assist steering setups, but I will also explain certain things that can be done to upgrade for regular power steering. It should work on all Jeep pumps and as far as I know all Chevy pumps. They may be adaptable to other types of pumps and we will update as we learn more. All of this can be done with the pump still on the vehicle as long as you have room to remove the pieces.

Step one:*Disassembly

There are the 3 main pieces that you should get out of your pump.*

#1 is the main fitting. You'll have to remove the high pressure line from this before you remove it.

#2 is the flow piston. It doubles as the housing for the high pressure bypass. If it doesn't fall out then use a magnet to remove it.

#3 is the piston spring. It also can be removed with a magnet or a pic.

Step two:*The fitting.(I don't feel that this is necessary for stock steering.)

Drill out this fitting a few sizes larger than it was. I drill them 1/16-1/8" larger than is comes stock but this may vary from pump to pump. I recommend that you don't go larger than 5/32. The purpose of this is to increase flow from idle to low RPM's.

Step 3:*Piston (Increasing Pressure)

Place the piston in a vise and remove the end cap. Inside you find the items in the picture above.**

WARNING:*I highly recommend doing these mods a little at a time until you've reached a level that you are happy with. But remember, that if you go too far then you could blow the seals out of your box. I've actually built so much pressure that I blew a section of the top of the steering box about 40 feet across the shop. OOPS!

First off, some pumps don't have any shims. Some have one or two. If it does have a shim remove it and try that. I don't recommend doing anymore than that if you are going to run hydro assist but if you are just trying to get more power out of a stock system and that does not give you enough then you can place a small washer in the bottom of the piston housing beneath the spring. A #4 machine washer fits perfect but can be a little too thick. A 3mm washer also works and is slightly thinner. Remember little steps. These mods increase the blow by pressure.*
You will also need to grind off some of the limiting stud so that It will still have room to travel. This is so that it doesn't block off all the pressure.

Step 4: Piston Spring

I have no hard evidence that this works but it does seem to help keep the pressure longer at higher RPM's. Just grab each end of the spring and stretch. I usually try to go between 2 to 2 ½ inches. This not* a precise mod as the spring rate does not change. I've also seen a piece of wire wound around the piston housing a couple of times on the area where the spring seats. This will also work.

I hope I've helped everyone that reads this. If you did please donate to help me offset the price of keeping this page up.