• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 44 Swap

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
So I currently have a Dana 30 front end and was looking to put disk brakes in. A friend told me that he has a Dana 44 with disk brakes out of a 76. Would I be better off swapping to the 44 and using its disk brakes? I won't do any wheeling with it. What else would have to be changed out? Trackbar? I am also addin power steering and possibly hydro boost if that matters. I think I can get a pretty good deal on the D44. Certainly cheaper than a disk brake kit.
Thoughts?
Thanks, Houston

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Remember to include the cost of replacing the steering tie rod and drag link, the 66 through 75 steering knuckles are straight, the 76 and 77 steering knuckles angle outwards so being wider they need longer steering parts.
Also the tie rod taper is a different size on the 76-77

OP
OP
NashBronco

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
Thanks. Seems like a no brainer to me as well. This is exactly the info I was wanting to know. So, tie rods and drag link. Anything beyond that? I want to make sure and budget "everything" before I pull the trigger. Obvoisly the cost to rebuild the axels and brakes, if needed. Just want to know what else would not bolt up.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What wheels are you running? The '76/'77 knuckles have steering arms that angle outward more as was said. This limits your wheel choices to those with approximately 3 5/8" backspace or less.
That's for 15's and most 16's. If you already have 17" wheels this is no longer an issue.

This is the linkage we sell for your swap:
1. http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Tie_Rod_2way_Adjustable_7677yr/Custom_tie_rods where the center link is a little longer, and the rod ends fit the tapered holes in the knuckles.
2. http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Adjustable_Drag_Link_30in_6675yr/Custom_tie_rods where the upper rod end still fits your existing pitman arm.

The #2390 complete kit, which is used to convert an actual '76 or '77 Bronco to the earlier style steering is not appropriate in your case, as it would have an upper draglink end sized for the later pitman arm with a smaller hole than yours.
So not as appropriate for your situation unless you were changing out the pitman arm as a matter of course anyway.

Paul

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Thanks. Seems like a no brainer to me as well. This is exactly the info I was wanting to know. So, tie rods and drag link. Anything beyond that? I want to make sure and budget "everything" before I pull the trigger. Obvoisly the cost to rebuild the axels and brakes, if needed. Just want to know what else would not bolt up.

The track bars are different so budget for one.

mock

I used 78 bronco brakes and the stock rims fit fine, also the (1971)44 and (1969)30 track bar that came on mine where the same.

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
How about the gearing? If it's not the same as what you currently have, you better budget for that too. Brand new disc kit is starting to look pretty cheap, just saying:eek:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am running stock 15's. So those would have to be changed out?

Well, since the '76 EB that the parts came from had stock 15's as well. So you "might" be able to use yours too.
It all depends on whether Ford changed the wheels to accommodate the arms or not.
They probably did not, and your wheels will probably fit, because at only 5.5 or 6 inches wide, the backspacing was probably less than 3.75" anyway.
I say all those "probablys" because I don't know for 100% certain. You may just have to test them to find out. In some cases the wheels fit, but the standard clamp-on wheel weights will hit the tie-rod ends. In other cases, not.

I used 78 bronco brakes and the stock rims fit fine...

Different beast. The brake parts are the same, but the steering knuckles have their steering arms farther inward and lower than disc brake EB knuckles.
So the full-size steering knuckles don't have the clearance issue that the Bronco knuckles are known for.

also the (1971)44 and (1969)30 track bar that came on mine where the same.

Good to know the specific years of yours that did work. I've seen that as well. But members here over the years have reported both some hits and some misses with their direct first-hand experience with stock trackbars. So not sure what the differences are. Maybe just the very early years?
What year is your BroncoNash?

Here again then I would recommend you:
1. Take the trackbar if the new axle comes with one
2. If it doesn't then try yours first before you fork over for a new one.
2 1/2... (we sell a nice one by the way;);D He says, putting his semi-subliminal sales tactic training to work...%)

I wonder if the trackbars were subject to a running change when they first started using those hybrid 44's under them? This started in '68 or '69, but was most prevalent on '70 model year trucks. All before the official change to the 44 in mid-'71.

Anyway, if you have a '67 and the trackbar hits Nash, we'll have another little tidbit of data for our archives.

Good luck.

Pauil

OP
OP
NashBronco

NashBronco

Loc.
Flowood, MS
Thanks for the info Paul.

Yes it is a 67'. I am going to take a look at the D44 in a couple weeks and see what all it comes with. Good news is I can take it with me, start to mock it up and then decide to buy it if it all fits.

I really like the stock wheels and would rather keep them. I don't do any wheeling with this so i am not sure that i will get a big benefit from the D44, but no doubt its a better axel to run.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, the only benefit I can think of for a 44 in your situation and vehicle use, is the ability to utilize Ford disc brakes.
You don't need the added strength, even if it's not a bad thing to have. You will need to make one modification or another to the steering linkage, and you have a potential gear change if the ratios don't match.

You can still do discs on a 30, and the gear ratio is the the same as the rear and no steering mods. But the 44 is higher on the coolness chart, and the Ford discs are a good design. And the price is right.

If you decide down the road that you don't need it after all, then it's worth at least some money. With the rising number of real restorations going on now, even a 30 can have some value, where there wasn't much before. But the 44 is going to generate higher resale excitement because more people are still looking for them.

Interested to hear what all it's got when you go get it.

Paul