• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

AC compressor converted to Air Compressor

Brent13

Loc.
Colorado Springs
My Bronco came with aftermarket AC. I ditched the controls, and left the AC compressor installed, just bled it clean and removed all hoses. It is a Tecumseh unit, and I would love to convert it to OBA. Any of you tackle this project? I have done a couple Google searches, but haven't found a really good, easy to follow, set of instructions. Please let me know what you know on this sort of conversion.

Thank You

OP
OP
B

Brent13

Loc.
Colorado Springs
No I am not, AC in a Bronco, I find close to worthless as I never have a top on.

Here is what I am working with.....

And I assume this is an oil fill port? There is a very tiny bit of oil at the bottom of this hole. Ran a screwdriver all the way to the bottom.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
That looks like the York 210 or a clone. They are a wet sump pump and a perfect candidate for OBA. You don't have to add an oilier to lube the pump.

The oil level is checked with a dip stick in that hole. It was basically a piece of O/A rod with a coil in the top for grip and grooves down low to measure the level. Sorry I don't recall how much oil.

The intake can be a air filter of your choice for the most part. The pressure side should have a pressure cut off, a gauge and a coupler. How fancy or plain you set it up is your choice.

There has been a good write up on here.

01JLH

You got on board air already. You just need to put a intake filter and a hose on it. You can mount a small tank in a lot of places and rig up some kind of pressure switch to kick the electric clutch on and off. You've got a real good start on it.

OP
OP
B

Brent13

Loc.
Colorado Springs
Stupid question, which is the intake and output? Also, read about one guy standing the unit vertical, says this would limit the amount of oil blowing out. I can't fit the unit vertically. Apparently laying on its side, oil will blow out. Might I need an oil separator and could plumb back to the oil fill port? Lots of questions, but think I found a good source last night as far as written instruction goes. Any more info you all have, I'll take it, and thank you!

thorgan

I'm using a York to run my air suspension. I originally had it laying on its side but didn't like the oil getting into my air. It wasn't too bad but, eventually, the compressor started to sound like it had a rod knock. My guess is that I didn't check the oil level often enough and it ran low with the bearings starving for oil. I ended up fabbing up a new mount to orient the pump vertically. It's been working perfectly ever since.

Here's a great writeup: http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/yorkair.html

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've used the Yorks, horizontally mounted, for both of my OBA systems. Great compressors. Never had an issue with excess oil in the air either. A one-gallon or larger air tank is what I've used; made mine out of heavy-wall aluminum pipe, in the one case, and 6" steel pipe the other. The pressure control switch on the one I just put on my '78 Bronco is very small; I got it from McMaster-Carr. You'll also want to install a pressure relief valve.

OP
OP
B

Brent13

Loc.
Colorado Springs
Ok, upon closer inspection, my compressor as it is mounted has the SUCTION port low, and OUTPUT high. I thought I read that the suction had to be on the high side if running compressor horizontal. Am I screwed?

gremlin

take the head off turn around so suction is on the top. pull front seal tap oil passage and plug with 10-32 allen. I use pressure switch from arb.

OP
OP
B

Brent13

Loc.
Colorado Springs
Gremlin,

I gave thought to just taking off the head, and installing the head back on with suction at top, but don't the internal guts need to get rotatied also. I mean the guts are what is sucking air in and expelling air out. Is it really that easy, just pull the head, which I have done, and remount 180 degrees different?

OP
OP
B

Brent13

Loc.
Colorado Springs
Can I rotate all of the inner guts of this unit? I have the cover off, but can't tell for sure if the inner workings can also be rotated 180 degrees.

OP
OP
B

Brent13

Loc.
Colorado Springs
Can this be taken out and rotated 180 degrees? I cannot stand the unit vertical, no hood clearance. Tried to rotate the entire unit, top facing the drivers side, no dice, no room in the direction either.

gremlin

turn the valve plate with head. the problem with suction on the bottom it will suck the oil out of the case.