• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need a bell housing. Anything I need to look for?

rockingm82

Loc.
St. Peters, MO
I just dropped a Blueprint 347 engine into my frame and now I need a bell housing. This is a from scratch rebuild, so there's not hardly any donor parts other than the frame.

Is there anything I need to look out for in a bell housing or can I just pull the trigger on any old 302 bell housing?

I'll be using Advanced Adapter to a NV3550.

Quick & Dirty

There are 2 common sizes. One for a 157 tooth flywheel that takes a 10" disk, typically used in small cars like the Mustang, and one for 164 tooth flywheel and 11" disk, used in trucks and full size cars. There is also an uncommon 148 tooth that was used in V8 Mustang II's.

There are also push-rod, hydraulic, and cable actuation for the clutch fork. I've only used the push-rod style, so I'm not sure how different the bells for the other types are.

yakelys69

I would look for on with a factory hydraulic slave cylinder mounting bracket. I think it can be found on 1981 - 1991 ford trucks. This way you can use a normal push style hydraulic slave cylinder rather then the pull type (i've have the pull type and one failed in 500 miles and the 2nd one seems to be doing better but I don't have confidence in it) not sure if it would cause any issues with headers maybe someone else will know.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Are you planning on using a standard Bronco clutch linkage or going hydro?

You will want a truck bellhousing, 164 tooth flywheel. There is a way to tell them apart by the distance between a starter hole and a bellhousing bolt hole. I forget what they are and don't have time to look it up at the moment. But it is easy. Don't forget you also need a matching block plate. It is also the starter index. Often forgotten.

Don't get a car bellhousing for the 157 tooth flywheel. You can't put enough clutch in there. A 4WD Bronco needs more clutch than a lightweight mustang.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I have been using the 11"stock parts store clutch and flywheel for years without issues. I also used the original linkage with zero issues on a hardcore trail rig. I had done all the research and picked out the parts to go hydro, just never had trouble or a reason to swap to it.

triplewilliams

auto vs manual?

In my search for a bell housing, friend found one from an F100 but didn't have a bolt hole for the part of the manual shifter as I recall. I tapped the hole to make it work.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
No.

It is wrong on multiple levels. It starts off as a 157 tooth car, you want the 164 tooth truck.
It is for a T5 transmission which has a funny clocking to it (does not sit straight up).
Setup for a cable clutch only.

OP
OP
rockingm82

rockingm82

Loc.
St. Peters, MO
Okay, thanks. Does anyone sell new bell housings for our Broncos? Looking at shipping for used ones and I might as well buy new if they're available.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Go to the top of this page, look for the ad for Driven Auto Parts. Give him a call tomorrow (before 3PM pacific). Tell him you are looking for a stock Bronco bellhousing. You will probably need some clutch linkage as well since it sounds like you are starting with nothing. Randy will hook you up with the correct parts.

That mustang one might work. I don't know enough about the mustang versions know for sure. It looks right, but I am not going to guarantee it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A bellhousing isn't a wear item. No reason why you would need a new one. If you really want a new one and worry about shipping costs, try your local Ford dealer. They do still have a surprising amount of old stock still available.

OP
OP
rockingm82

rockingm82

Loc.
St. Peters, MO
Go to the top of this page, look for the ad for Driven Auto Parts. Give him a call tomorrow (before 3PM pacific). Tell him you are looking for a stock Bronco bellhousing. You will probably need some clutch linkage as well since it sounds like you are starting with nothing. Randy will hook you up with the correct parts.

That mustang one might work. I don't know enough about the mustang versions know for sure. It looks right, but I am not going to guarantee it.

Thanks for the referral. I called Driven this morning and the Bell Housing is on the way. When I called they knew the price and shipping fees without even having to look. Easy. I like easy.

I did call another Bronco shop and they couldn't give me an answer because the warehouse was on break. Didn't even offer to call me back with an answer.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Does anyone on here have actual experience using this Lakewood bell housing on their Bronco? Which clutch fork should be used with it for Bronco? Photos and advice as to installing clutch linkage on the engine / bell housing side? I have one new in the box and I will be tackling this install behind my 351w soon...thanks!
I can not say for sure that mine is exactly that scatter-shield, but my EB has one that the PO installed. I put a new clutch in while I was doing the NV4500 swap and I used the complete Centerforce kit. As best I can tell the t/o fork is a Ford part, but beyond that I've no idea if an EB part or something else. I would strongly suspect that it is an EB part as the PO only ever really messed about with EB's.