• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BC Broncos Soft Top Install-Part 1

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Anybody, know where I can get instructions for the BC top?

Too, Chuck sells a tool to help snap down the soft top. You can buy from BC or off Amazon for a few bucks cheaper for boats. Works well and I wish I had one years ago for my old soft tops back in the day.

T-7ToNewOldB

Snap fitment

My front snap overlaps with the bolt that attaches the fairing. Any suggestions?

A snap topped bolt? May need to invent it for this.

Also, I have a seam, just inboard of this snap, that seems to be leaking. Anybody else seen that? Will probably try a seam sealer on it.

Snap1.jpg

Snap2.jpg

T-7ToNewOldB

Could just try and put a screw snap in from the kit below the screw and see if I can force it.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
My front snap overlaps with the bolt that attaches the fairing. Any suggestions?

A snap topped bolt? May need to invent it for this.

Also, I have a seam, just inboard of this snap, that seems to be leaking. Anybody else seen that? Will probably try a seam sealer on it.

View attachment 515240

View attachment 515241

I used the snap there that came with the top. It would be the snap with the stud mount (not the screw in type) and a star lock washer and nut. You should have got a couple in the kit for each side.

T-7ToNewOldB

Don't remember seeing those, but they probably were in the kit. Will dig through the bags again. Thankfully I don't have to invent that part!

Thanks.

T-7ToNewOldB

Thanks!

Hobby builder, whole car built basically new from the ground up with my son, thousands of parts. All random ones I didn't use or can't figure out go in the mystery box. Found these there!!

NewSnap.jpg

This is a way easier fix than my post on vibration in front driveshaft. (re-move front end, re-move knuckles, rotate, re-weld, re-install, re-align). That's a a lot of re's on a mostly completed and drivable bronco.

So thanks!

djanis99

Thanks - I have the Newport engineering wiper setup - really clean look with the top off and no cover or adjustment needed.

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Yes, that seam leaks. Use tent seam sealer on the inside. it's clear and rubbery when dry.

Last August I bought a soft top from BC Broncos to replace my Besttop soft top. I wanted to replace the Besttop because it just was not working as I had originally thought. This is not a knock on the Besttop. It is a high quality top. But it was a PITA to remove it and install the bikini top and vice versa. I finally decided that I would just prefer a safari-style top. That’s why I selected the BC soft top. Last July I had the opportunity to squeeze in a trip to BCB in Ingram, TX as part of a business trip. Roxanne and Jason were very kind in helping me out. Plus, I was lucky that Jason had just installed a top when I got there. Seeing how the top was constructed and went together helped me make my final decision to purchase the BC top. One of the benefits of this top is that you can select from a bunch of different colors. The color I finally selected matched very well the color of my dash and door panels.

I decided to take a bunch of photos of the installation and post them up. Maybe that will help some of you that purchase one of these tops. It may also help some of you decide whether or not you want the BC top. In case you are wondering, it should take you about a day to install, once you have removed any previous hardware, etc. And I only called BCB twice! Chuck and Jason each fielded a phone call from me. Anyway, here goes.

The included directions are reasonably good, but with a couple of omissions. First, one of the major steps not discussed in the directions is to get rid of the wiper motor cover (you won’t be able to use it), and reinstall the wiper motor clocked 180 degrees from its original position. There is a bracket provided for this as shown in the photo. The second omission is that you need to install a tailgate protector (included) along the top of the tailgate. To this you will attach a strip of velcro that holds down the back panel. I did not have to install this because I already had a tailgate protector.

The following photos show what comes in the boxes. Assembly of the frame is really easy because some of the connectors are pre-installed. The design is very well conceived. There is a photo of the new wiper motor bracket and a front and rear view of the windshield header. One thing I forgot to mention is that you will need to purchase some type of seals to go under the windshield header and also between the bed and frame. Seals are not included in the kit. I probably could have found something fancier, but I just went to my local auto parts store and bought the seal that goes under a camper shell.
With the wiper motor being rotated 180 degrees were does the wiper blade position need to be the factory position doesn't work
This is Not mentioned in the install sheet
Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They stay in the stock position. That’s because when you rotate the motor body, you remove the first (short) arm and rotate/clock it on the shaft 180° also.

If you don’t do that, then, as you may have already found out, the arms clock/park in the lower position.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
still going with my BC Broncos top....

Attachments

• 397912635_10224856327541574_2464442457388687599_n.jpg
    397912635_10224856327541574_2464442457388687599_n.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 20