• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Brake lights. I have none

KBUCK1

Turn signals, hazards, tail lights all work. No brake lights. Centech harness. Have power at the brake switch on the single wire side. When i press the brake i get power to the other side of the switch but no brake lights. Im leaning towards the turn signal switch. Is that all it can be?

Fuse is good as its the same fuse as hazard circuit

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Working turn at the rear = good bulbs and wiring from them all the way up to the switch.
Power at the brake switch that also turns on the other wire when the brakes are pressed = Good everything up to the brake switch.

Only place it can be is the between the brake switch and the inside of the turn switch. Your going to be getting inside your steering column to find this one.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep. But while it could be the turn signal switch itself, it could also be the wiring in-between, as he just said.

Did you put the Centech harness in? Has it been working for a long time, or has just been installed?
Just wondering, but at the very least check the main connector at the column before you decide to go replacing the switch.
Yes, the switches fail often. But it's not the only thing it could be.

Paul

OP
OP
KBUCK1

KBUCK1

Been in about 3 yrs. And always worked until now. New column as well

ChrisC74

KBUCK, missed you at Super Cel this weekend. Did you find someone to carry your roll cafe back home for you? On your lights problem. We were sitting around this weekend with Todd aka Mountain Ram. Sounds like he has the exact same issue. You all should compare notes. I think he is going to try to check is turn signal switch next. Someone suggested playing with the turn signal stem and see if the brake lights come on, that sometimes works if it is going bad.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Press the base of your turn signal lever down toward the front of the Bronco and see if the brake lights work. I drove one for a year with a rubber band around the lever to keep the switch working.

OP
OP
KBUCK1

KBUCK1

Thanks guys. Ill try that to see.
Chris, I didn't have him bring one . I was hoping he'd be willing to bring one unwelded but he wouldn't. Didn't wantnto burden anyone with a fully welded cage to haul around

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Press the base of your turn signal lever down toward the front of the Bronco and see if the brake lights work. I drove one for a year with a rubber band around the lever to keep the switch working.

Ok that is brilliant! I had no brake lights and found it was the switch in the column too. I bend the plastic tabs on the arms GENTLY to get better contact and lucky me I got brake lights. It lasted a few year until I switched columns.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Was going to suggest something along those lines for testing too. With the key OFF, push on the brake pedal and flip the signal lever around to each position while someone is watching the lights to see if you get anything.

Then, with the key still OFF, turn on the hazard/4-way flashers. When you hit the brake pedal the lights should stay on under normal circumstances.

Then, with the key in RUN, turn on one of the turn signals and touch the brakes. The signal should keep working.

None of those will fix anything, but it will give you more clues as to what's up and maybe help you narrow it down.

Paul

OP
OP
KBUCK1

KBUCK1

Wiggling the switch or pushing towards the front didn't reveal anything. Lucky me.
I'm going to change the turn signal switch out I guess. Thanks for all the replies

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Didn't pinch a wire did you? I dropped my rear tank once and pinched the rear wires when I put it back in.

OP
OP
KBUCK1

KBUCK1

Didn't pinch a wire did you? I dropped my rear tank once and pinched the rear wires when I put it back in.

Blinkers and hazards work. So I'm guessing its where they tie together in the column.

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
KBUCK, missed you at Super Cel this weekend. Did you find someone to carry your roll cafe back home for you? On your lights problem. We were sitting around this weekend with Todd aka Mountain Ram. Sounds like he has the exact same issue. You all should compare notes. I think he is going to try to check is turn signal switch next. Someone suggested playing with the turn signal stem and see if the brake lights come on, that sometimes works if it is going bad.

Funny- I just saw this thread. I am having the same problem with my '75, but havent had time to test anything else. My harness is 40 years old and been hacked by POs quite a bit. I chased down a few splices in that circuit before it goes into the column. My issue is either in the plug at the base of the column or the switch itself. I will be working on this over the weekend and will report back what I find.

This is not as bad as my crawler- which I must have miswired somewhere... When I hit the brakes, the brake lights work... but the headlights also come on. Have I noted that I hate wiring?