• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front axle question

green71

I had the D30 in my 71 rebuilt. Now the passenger side axle is much harder to slide in an out than the drivers side. Is that normal? The , for lack of a better description, debris shield is a little bent. Will that cause any problems? Thanks.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, the P side is much longer then the D side.. What did you do? About all I member doing is the U Joint on mine. The axle went in and out the same. Good luck

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is it just "harder" or does it stop and not go in all the way?
Do you have a limited-slip diff, or locker?

Sometimes the limited-slips and some lockers have two side gears on one side that need to be re-aligned to get the axle splines all the way in. Very common issue in the back for the 9", but not sure I've ever heard of it being an issue in front diffs.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
G

green71

No limited slip or locker. Slides in easily to a point and then gets hard. It is extremely hard to pull out once it gets in. Is the bent dust shield any thing to be concerned about?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Pull the axle back out and see if there is debris on the end of the axle. The tube picks up trash and stays in the tube then you slide in your axle and pick up the trash and carry it into the differential blocking the splines. You have to also slide in the axle and turn the yolk some if you have a limited slip in the axle. All you can do is pull the shaft back out and see if there is anything in the splines.