• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering column stuck

rjcruz27

Just purchased my first bronco and running through everything and noticed my shifter wouldn't go past neutral. I u hooked the steering column linkage that goes to the transmission. And it still wouldn't go past neutral so I know the problem is somewhere in the column. Any ideas or best plan of action? Thanks everyone.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
The connections on the column under the hood may have a wire wrapped around them or be hitting something

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
I bought an auto tilt column over the winter from a 78-79 Bronco and it was completely frozen. Wouldn't move at all. some tapping with a hammer, some heat and penetrating oil finally loosened it up...

OP
OP
R

rjcruz27

It's an automatic. I'll double check to make sure there isn't anything in the way. And if not is the problem most likely in the column in the engine bay or indie the cab ?

OP
OP
R

rjcruz27

Bronco

It's an automatic. I'll double check to make sure there isn't anything in the way. And if not is the problem most likely in the column in the engine bay or indie the cab ?

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The lockout plate is the only thing I can think of that would limit the selector movement. These sometimes break while the 2 screws are still holding both halves.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
X2 on checking the lockout plate. I've seen them get stuck if one of the two screws comes out too.