• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Did I mention I bought another Bronco?-PHOTOS

OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
I've been thinking a lot about the 'someday' paint job. I realized I like Bronco's better with the original single stage enamel look rather than the super glossy modern clear coat look.
Trying to figure out the best way to get the vintage look with modern products??
Two stage with dull clear? Or a single stage polyurethane?

OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Worked on the Bronco for a couple hours tonight. First time in months. We bought a house on 15 acres last spring, then sold the other house in town. Then spent the rest of the summer moving in and working on the new place. Dang this south texas brush is nasty, everything has thorns or chiggers.

The Maule project has been in the shop for 18 months. Plan to go fly it this saturday to check the rigging. We swapped the engine from a 160hp to a 180hp with constant speed prop. Now it should take off in 300' like a real bush plane, and increases the legal gross weight by 300lbs, which is a big deal in a small airplane. If you don't hear from me after saturday the test flight didn't work out LOL

Attachments

• IMG_0979.jpg
    IMG_0979.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0978.jpg
    IMG_0978.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 131

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Tom, the Maule looks great!

I was wondering why you were laying low recently.

OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Im working on the U14 project again. EFI guy has the harness, and I've tackled solving the final body alignment again. It's been in the rotisserie for the last year and a half but had an alignment problem on the passenger side with door and rocker panel figment. I scratched my head a couple hundred times and finally figured it out.
Moving forward again.

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
I got the rear floor pan tacked in and fit. The damned floor pan is like all other Bronco parts, it looks good in pics but isnt a true reproduction. The weld flanges on the sides of the pan were too short. It doesn't cover the holes in the fenders where I drilled out the original spot welds. it's tacked in but i dont' like it.

I keep thinking about what color to paint this rig. I was entertaining painting it Stroppe colors just for fun. Maybe it's a sin to paint a non-Stroppe in those colors, but it would look good and people would love it.
What say you?
Can I ask where did you buy the floor bans from?

wadeasecond

Loc.
Denver
Our broncos share the same birth day. Although mine was built one day ahead yours two days behind. Cool stuff!

FullSizeRender.jpg

I like the diesels, but this Bronco is getting an explorer power train, since it's going to be a mall crawler. Katy hasn't shown any affection for the diesels yet. Here's the Marti for this Bronco
y8adu9en.jpg

OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Making a little progress now, got the frame finished and painted. Next is the body.

Attachments

• IMG_1136.jpg
    IMG_1136.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 136

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That is slick - nice work! Can't wait to see the rest of it...

OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
I'm doing pretty good with assembling the engine/trans package. Have engine mounted, D-20 is converted for twin sticks and cross member is modified. The fuel lines are finished and tightened up. The stainless Flowmaster exhaust is mocked up and tacked together as far as the muffler. Tailpipe is next.
EFI Guy Garry is finishing the harness.
Ive plugged the extra vacuum ports in the upper, left 3 ports for brakes, PCV, and fuel regulator.
Got the cam pickup timed and stabbed.
I think I can use the explorer transmission cooling lines as far as the front cross member then build extensions to whatever radiator I decide to use.

I've got a lot of questions about the EFI installation:

I'm deleting the EGR, do I Remove the 90 bend or leave?
I think I need Mustang heater tubes, don't like how the Explorer tubes turn up on the end. (this will have Vintage air installed). But don't know where to source Mustang heater tubes.
Do I need to drill and tap the lower intake for dash temp sender?

What am I missing?

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 130
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
And this is how I sectioned the cross member for the AA adapter. Cut and lowered the original section, then welded back in. Then narrowed it on the front so it would miss the adapter to 4R70W bolts.

Attachments

• IMG_1170.jpg
    IMG_1170.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1172.jpg
    IMG_1172.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1171.jpg
    IMG_1171.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 67

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Looking good, one of these days I'll be courageous and start on my half cab!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
And this is how I sectioned the cross member for the AA adapter. Cut and lowered the original section, then welded back in. Then narrowed it on the front so it would miss the adapter to 4R70W bolts.

Gonna be one nice ride for sure man.. Can't wait

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Build looks good, don't forget the bungs for the O2's, and when you drill them if you use a holesaw run the bit out a little so it will hold the slug when you cut all the way through, this way it want fall down inside the exhaust tube.

I'm deleting the EGR, do I Remove the 90 bend or leave?
you can do either, if you leave it just cap off the port

But don't know where to source Mustang heater tubes.

Here is one I just pulled up
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9424BB/Mus...IFhHyiHo1OnnnNq6oBOjhTrppzFWDfXnwAaAmHr8P8HAQ

Do I need to drill and tap the lower intake for dash temp sender?

No, it is on the driver front, same as the Bronco. The Explore is the same. The ECT for the PCM on the mustang is in the heater tube.

OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Thank you Surfer-B for the advice. I'm using all my discipline and patience to do a high quality build. I've read what seems like a couple hundred Explorer EFI threads, each of which answers a question or two, but haven't found that one thread which solves every question so some of these challenges are still fuzzy to me.

Also, now that my exhaust is established is there and optimum location for mounting the O2 sensors? As in distance from the headers?
Otherwise I'll mount them where they are easiest to service in the future

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
You want them mounted as close to the header as you can and which allows easy access. Then ideal is anywhere from 10 degrees above horizontal to straight up vertical. I have one mounted horizontal and it has not been an issues but it's not recommended for condensation reasons.

OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
I set the chassis aside for a few days to get the tub media blasted. This body has been in the rotisserie for 3+ years for sheet metal replacement so instead of blasting then repairing rust, we were able to immediately primer it after getting it home.
I've been talking to the media blast guy for awhile trying to get a date, so this week the stars all aligned with him, us, and the weather ready at the same time. So Katy hauled the entire rotisserie to him on a trailer and it was ready by late afternoon. We quickly got it home and got it unloaded off the trailer without crashing it, since it's topheavy in the rotisserie.
So yesterday while my LEBC Bronco Brethren were having fun in San Antonio, I was epoxy priming the body. This is a BIG step in this project.
After all this time, money, and effort, it'll be fighting words if someone wants to doubt me when i say its truly a 'rust free' body;D

Attachments

• IMG_1224.jpg
    IMG_1224.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1225.jpg
    IMG_1225.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1226.jpg
    IMG_1226.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1232.jpg
    IMG_1232.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1237.jpg
    IMG_1237.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1240.jpg
    IMG_1240.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1239.jpg
    IMG_1239.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Looks great, Well on your way to having a really nice one.