• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fire suppression systems

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Anyone using an automatic fire suppression system?
My sister just put one in her VW Westy van after seeing one go up in flames.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I remember back in the day it was not too hard to build a fire suppression system for our hot street/drag cars but it wasn't easy to pass tech at the track without spending a little coin....we were poor kids, lol,....kind of....so we didn't do it but envied the guys that did,

But i think a fire suppression system is a good idea.
Even if it's not automatic i think it would be cool.
Looking forward to what you come up with,

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
A few months ago I saw some military surplus ones (don't know if automatic or pull the pin) for sale cheap, the ones that don't leave you with a big mess to clean up were quite a bit more.
They sometimes show up on eBay, but not as cheap.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like a choice between Coldfire and Firecharger. Question whether to suppress engine bay fire or cockpit if given that choice.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
We used a cold fire system in our U4. Was easy to install and effective, had an oil line failure in the belly under the seats, saved the car, occupants and must everything else.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I think that there's a difference in a race application vs. what the OP appears to want.

In a race application the goal is to give the driver & co-driver (if present) time to get out of the vehicle. The view is that if you can save it then fine, but race vehicles are basically disposable while the humans are not.

Here the goal is to save the vehicle. That's a fundamental shift in priority. I think putting out an engine bay fire or a brake fire becomes much more important .

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We saw the effects of a vehicle fire at NORRA a couple of years ago. Pretty sobering. Kind of makes me want to put in two systems. In this case the vehicle caused a brush fire which led to all kinds of legal problems on top of losing the truck. Sorry for the deviation from Blu's OP. Interesting topic though.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
Years ago, I had the unfortunate experience of extinguishing a burning man inside a demolition derby car. I broke down in an earlier heat race and was relegated to track flagging duty for the main event.

The incident was caused by a burst transmission line. In those days it was common, especially for those running Chrysler cars, to run external lines to an oil cooler encased in an ice chest behind the driver's seat. The line burst in the area of the floorboard, soaking the driver and was ultimately ignited by the exhaust manifold. In the ensuing panic, he was unable to unlatch his harness. And he could not reach his fire extinguisher when buckled in. I ran up to the car, pointed my fire extinguisher in his lap and pulled the trigger.

It was a pretty traumatic experience to say the least. He spent about 9 months in a burn center. I wish I would've shouted for him to hold his breath, because of the damage from inhaling the fire extinguisher chemicals, his voice is now an octave or two higher than it should be.

No matter what you do, know your equipment and practice for emergencies.