• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ram Assist Upgrade and Painless Harness Install

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I got WTO Red Neck Ram. John Dixon mounted up the ram assist for me. I can send you pics if you need them.
can you send me some pics as well, also if you have them, pics on hoses at the box. which one goes where.
thank you sir:cool:

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Got some work done on the dash today. I opened up the speaker grill and filled in the ash tray to make the access hole for the fuse box.

IMG_5151_1788504009.JPG

IMG_5153_1837676047.JPG

IMG_5155_731566188.JPG

And with the Roadster speaker louver in place -

IMG_5156_1527516398.JPG

Next I'll fill in the butchered radio opening. It will need a skim coat of bondo after the other opening is filled in.

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Thanks Dave! Here's a couple more progress pics.

I had to fill 38 holes on the bottom from where things had been mounted over the years!

IMG_5163_1418904035.JPG

And here's a pic of the fuse box mount I made:

IMG_5165_724159697.JPG

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
OK here's the repaired dash in primer.

IMG_5185_580453290.jpg

I should get it painted today and do a trial fit of the switches and gauges.

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
All painted and cleared. It's Wimbledon White with a satin clear. I know WW is not correct but this is not a stock Bronco!!

IMG_5187_408666444.JPG

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Here is the dash with the new gauges and switches test fitted.

IMG_5189_1843727523.JPG

They layout is different than what I first posted. I decided to move the voltmeter to the speedo cluster and only put 2 - water temp and oil pressure - in the dash and I moved the gauges to near the steering wheel. All new switches except the ARB switch.

IMG_5188_17921034.JPG

For the master switch I went to a covered toggle. I'm not sure I'm going to like it. It seems to be prone to closing (shutting off) very easily. If so, I'll replace it or just take the red cover off. I'm retaining the push button start.

richie19

Loc.
Atlanta
Here is the dash with the new gauges and switches test fitted.

IMG_5189_1843727523.JPG

They layout is different than what I first posted. I decided to move the voltmeter to the speedo cluster and only put 2 - water temp and oil pressure - in the dash and I moved the gauges to near the steering wheel. All new switches except the ARB switch.

IMG_5188_17921034.JPG

For the master switch I went to a covered toggle. I'm not sure I'm going to like it. It seems to be prone to closing (shutting off) very easily. If so, I'll replace it or just take the red cover off. I'm retaining the push button start.
Very nice work. Question on your master switch - so in the current configuration it is safetied (cover down) in the off position? The way we have always used those covers is to prevent inadvertently flipping a switch, in other words 2 actions to move a switch. Seems to me you would want it wired the other way around - closed switch is on, open is off. Another option would be to cut a slot in the cover itself so that it is always down - no matter the switch position but still requires the cover to be opened prior to switch movement.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Very nice work. Question on your master switch - so in the current configuration it is safetied (cover down) in the off position? The way we have always used those covers is to prevent inadvertently flipping a switch, in other words 2 actions to move a switch. Seems to me you would want it wired the other way around - closed switch is on, open is off. Another option would be to cut a slot in the cover itself so that it is always down - no matter the switch position but still requires the cover to be opened prior to switch movement.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I may have to do something like that if it does shut off too easily. I'm going to try it as is to see if it is an issue.

Some more work today. Here's a shot of the back of the dash.

IMG_5191_1309781669.jpg

With some of the main harness installed.

IMG_5193_2080821418.jpg

Here's the fuse box installed.

IMG_5194_849007559.JPG

And with the cover on.

IMG_5195_1219404993.JPG

I should be able to re-install the dash tomorrow and start running wires in engine compartment and rear harness.

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Dash is back in place. I still need to run the engine harness, the front light harness and the rear harness sections.

IMG_5197_182032461.JPG

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Thanks! One of my goals was to clean up the dash with nothing hanging under it. I have to keep telling myself this is a trail rig / crawler, not a show Bronco!!

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Some success today! I got the efi, alternator, voltage regulator and battery power all hooked up. And it runs! Now I can move it over to the lift and work on running the rear harness underneath for tail/stop lights. Just hearing it run with the new harness is a big relief!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Some success today! I got the efi, alternator, voltage regulator and battery power all hooked up. And it runs! Now I can move it over to the lift and work on running the rear harness underneath for tail/stop lights. Just hearing it run with the new harness is a big relief!

Hey, I'm near TMS through Tues, TRYING to meet Bronco Billy Tues evening near Plano for Supper...

MIGHT turn into Mon or Wed evening, not sure yet.

I'm at Hol Inn Ex off raceway drive.. Not sure how far that is from ya.

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Hey, I'm near TMS through Tues, TRYING to meet Bronco Billy Tues evening near Plano for Supper...

MIGHT turn into Mon or Wed evening, not sure yet.

I'm at Hol Inn Ex off raceway drive.. Not sure how far that is from ya.

I'm near Austin. The Speedway is about 3 1/2 - 4 hours north of me. Wish it were closer - I'd buy you a beer!

I'm actually close to COTA - Circuit of the Americas. F1 this weekend. If you're ever near COTA let me know.

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
A little update this morning . . .

I've got the wiring harness in with just couple of items to finish up. The heater blower motor needs some trouble shooting and I need to install the braiding. I'm going to wait on most of the braiding until I'm sure everything is working fine. It's awesome to have functioning and bright dash lights that dim without flickering! Including the new after market gauges and tach. I made a few changes to the harness and being a trail rig there were a number of circuits I didn't use. I removed the ignition key switch and went with a master switch and push button start. I didn't install any of the steering column wires - no turn signals and I'm using a dash mounted horn button. One bonus is I think the engine is running better with clean power and good grounds for the computer.

Now on to the Red Neck Ram! Here are a couple of pics of the tacked up install. I'm mounting the base of the ram to the WH track bar riser and the rod end to the tie rod. Here it is with full weight on the axle.

IMG_5218_1591853995.JPG

Here's full droop.

IMG_5219_1425174299.JPG

I did put full weight on the driver's tire with the passenger tire drooping with no interference issues but I was not able to get to full stuff. And I didn't get a pic! But it looked like it had a lot more to go with good clearance. Routing the hoses may be fun!