• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The State of NAPA Auto Parts

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Around central Florida you always go to the old dirty NAPA stores. The newer fancier looking ones are sort of the chain stores. When you walk into one of those you might as well be walking into an AutoZone. But again old dirty Napa's those are the best and hopefully they have an old dirty Parts guy at the counter with a good old-fashioned parts book. We have one of those in a little town called Winter Garden here in Central Florida. My favorite Napa

Kbpony

Our local Napa used to be in an old, dirty warehouse. They recently moved to the far side of town, and now have a bright, shiny new place. I was nervous my first time in there until I found my favorite parts guy, Les still there. He usually knows the part numbers off the top of his head, and if you need something weird, he usually knows how to find it. Unfortunately I don’t get there often enough because A. I’m usually only shopping after normal business hours and end up at Autozone or O’Reilley’s and B they are usually more expensive.(I should probably not be so cheap)

OP
OP
pipeline010

pipeline010

Is some fact checking needed here? I Googled "Genuine Auto Parts" and got nothing. There is however a "Genuine Parts Company". I can easily see that being an insignificant slip-up by someone in the info chain. But...

Genuine Parts Company has been associated with NAPA for as long as I can remember. Another quick Google search showed that 1,142 of the over 6,000 NAPA stores are owned by Genuine Parts Company, but in the time I was willing to invest I couldn't see when that arrangement started. I only know that I've seen "Genuine Parts Company" on NAPA stuff for a long time.

So from what I remember and can find out now, there is no current structure change that is dooming NAPA stores. I'm not saying that the story is pure garbage. Just that it doesn't seem to be quite what was presented.

looks like you're right, partially. the name "Genuine Auto Parts" is indeed NOT the name of the company; it's "Genuine Parts Company."

Since the stores are franchised, I think the more interesting bit is what G.A.P. is doing with the stores they have acquired. It's pretty obvious when you enter one of those stores vs one owned by someone with an interest in the retail segment and your average guy looking for parts/help.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
It’s confusing for sure...... I did some research since I have relatives that have been involved with Genuine Parts Company for years and have owned several stores. I have heard the two names interchanged for as long as I can remember.

Genuine Parts Co. and NAPA have been connected for about 90 years. Genuine Parts has a division called Automotive Parts Group which owns and manages the NAPA stores, franchises, and distribution centers. They always have, or have since 1928.

My local store was remodeled a year or so ago. I think GPC may be buying some of the franchises back and making them owned stores. I can’t find anything about changes in structure or ownership of the companies themselves or the distribution centers.

I did read that they are marketing more parts under the “Genuine Parts” name. That is a marketing tactic since it implies to people that it is a “OEM” part. So you may see the Genuine Parts name more where you used to see NAPA.

I found this on the NAPA website which seems to backup the theory that they may be buying some old franchises, and modernizing. Which is what happened to my store. Probably more marketing tactics to appeal to younger folks and particular demographics. I am expecting English to become a second language in my NAPA store, just as it has at Autozone and the others nearby.

“The Automotive Parts Group of Genuine Parts Company is one of North America's leading distributors of automotive replacement parts, accessory items and service items. This group consists of 61 NAPA Distribution Centers in the United States serving approximately 6,000 NAPA AUTO PARTS Stores including 1,000 company owned stores. Clean, modern, organized stores appeal to do-it-yourself retail customers as well as automotive professionals. NAPA, a nationwide supplier, continues to add new stores and relocate older stores to improved, updated facilities.”

Last edited:

Nothing Special

looks like you're right, partially. the name "Genuine Auto Parts" is indeed NOT the name of the company; it's "Genuine Parts Company."

Since the stores are franchised, I think the more interesting bit is what G.A.P. is doing with the stores they have acquired. It's pretty obvious when you enter one of those stores vs one owned by someone with an interest in the retail segment and your average guy looking for parts/help.

This tends to imply that Genuine Parts Company is doing something new. But as Slowleak says...

.... Genuine Parts Co. and NAPA have been connected for about 90 years. Genuine Parts has a division called Automotive Parts Group which owns and manages the NAPA stores, franchises, and distribution centers. They always have, or have since 1928....

... so I really doubt that there's anything overall new going on. It may be that the NAPA you go to was recently bought by GPC and the new management is taking a different track than the previous franchise owner. But as I said before, at least my NAPA has been connected to GPC for as long as I can remember, and they've always (and still) seem to be the most knowledgeable counter people with the best availability, at least in my experience.

So I really don't think there's anything overall sinister going on here (although localized down-turns in quality wouldn't surprise me in the least, whether you're talking about NAPA, McDonalds or anything else).

OP
OP
pipeline010

pipeline010

This tends to imply that Genuine Parts Company is doing something new. But as Slowleak says...

... so I really doubt that there's anything overall new going on. It may be that the NAPA you go to was recently bought by GPC and the new management is taking a different track than the previous franchise owner. But as I said before, at least my NAPA has been connected to GPC for as long as I can remember, and they've always (and still) seem to be the most knowledgeable counter people with the best availability, at least in my experience.

So I really don't think there's anything overall sinister going on here (although localized down-turns in quality wouldn't surprise me in the least, whether you're talking about NAPA, McDonalds or anything else).

fair enough. can only speak to my own experience, however, and basically every NAPA in my area has become a no-go to anyone actually needing stuff. understaffed, no gear, no cares. Autozone for basics and online for everything else. The two functional ones were both owned by the same guy and were excellent, both NON GPC.

My experience + feedback from the only two shops that seem to give a crap around us.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
fair enough. can only speak to my own experience, however, and basically every NAPA in my area has become a no-go to anyone actually needing stuff. understaffed, no gear, no cares. Autozone for basics and online for everything else. The two functional ones were both owned by the same guy and were excellent, both NON GPC.

My experience + feedback from the only two shops that seem to give a crap around us.

Kinda the same for me..... The nice thing about my store is that it is a few miles from a NAPA distribution center so the store gets a lot of their business from repair shops in the area. NAPA parts trucks are always coming and going. I think that is the only thing that keeps the store in business. They have very few walk in customers.

A few weeks ago I went to Autozone for a bushing at 10am. No bushing in stock which wasn’t a surprise. They said they would have to order it and it would be 3-5 days. I drove a block to NAPA. They said they too would have to order the part and asked if I could come back at 1:30.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pipeline010

pipeline010

A few weeks ago I went to Autozone for a bushing at 10am. No bushing in stock which wasn’t a surprise. They said they would have to order it and it would be 3-5 days. I drove a block to NAPA. They said they too would have to order the part and asked if I could come back at 1:30.

wow. that's awesome. I don't know any shop around me that can offer that. My autozone oddly has a bunch of weird stuff I wouldn't expect for my truck in stock such as a rebuilt kit for an autolite 2100. Ordering anything from them takes a while, though, and am better off going with the vendors here. Shipping takes the same amount of time but with toms, jeffs, or WH I'm sure to actually get the right part when it arrives.

Chief Master Sergeant

Contributor
Retired U.S. Air Force
My NAPA stores here in Spokane are awesome. Very clean and staff are very knowledgeable and helpful.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
They said they too would have to order the part and asked if I could come back at 1:30.

Same here. We have a big NAPA distribution center in town. Unless it is something oddball they can usually have it same day. There is also still a NAPA machine shop in town. I am not sure if the NAPAs local to me are franchised or corporate stores but a lot of them just got a facelift. New shelving, adverts, etc. Always been my go to place.

I have also noticed there are a lot more "NAPA Car Care Centers" around here. Who ever is in charge of this region is really pushing for growth. Federated Auto Parts moved into the area a couple of years ago and went after a lot of the NAPA shops so I guess they are fighting back.

suckerpunched

broncodriver99;I have also noticed there are a lot more "NAPA Car Care Centers" around here. Who ever is in charge of this region is really pushing for growth. Federated Auto Parts moved into the area a couple of years ago and went after a lot of the NAPA shops so I guess they are fighting back.[/QUOTE said:
I think this is what is going on. I think they are trying to gain market share against autozone and oreilys. genuine parts bought out a small local chain of 5 stores in my area about 6 months ago. They were and still are my go to parts house. Nothing has really changed that I can see, they are actually still carrying most of the same parts lines they did before. Same people working including the old owners, who are friends of mine. they can get NAPA branded parts but are not stocking them and have said they do not want to compete that directly with the independently owned NAPA stores. Some of the independent NAPA stores here are doing a great job. when we are running frost protection in citrus they stay on call for local growers all night in case we need parts.
Autozone is a no go for me. never happy with the parts or the experience. I just go there if I need a quart of oil or some car wax on a sunday.

No Hay

Bronco Guru
I think this is what is going on. I think they are trying to gain market share against autozone and oreilys. genuine parts bought out a small local chain of 5 stores in my area about 6 months ago. They were and still are my go to parts house. Nothing has really changed that I can see, they are actually still carrying most of the same parts lines they did before. Same people working including the old owners, who are friends of mine. they can get NAPA branded parts but are not stocking them and have said they do not want to compete that directly with the independently owned NAPA stores. Some of the independent NAPA stores here are doing a great job. when we are running frost protection in citrus they stay on call for local growers all night in case we need parts.
Autozone is a no go for me. never happy with the parts or the experience. I just go there if I need a quart of oil or some car wax on a sunday.

Love to hear they offer to be "on call." As a 35 year service electrician in Portland, we could call to open up any of the wholesale parts houses 24/7. Keeps the world moving forward!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
The napa closest to me went thru the same thing
They used to have knowledgeable car people working there

And then all of a sudden literally overnight the staff changed to what looked like Burger King cashier rejects , mostly women
None of whom knew a damn thing about cars

Sux to see for sure, Guess the back up plan is always Advanced Auto :)

OP
OP
pipeline010

pipeline010

I am ya.

The one in Northfield doesn't really look like a store; it looks like an abandoned crack house. The recent review from google pretty much sums it up:

"It's funny - the picture that comes up when you Google this store shows an empty parking lot. I've discovered that it's for a good reason. Last week I went into this store and ordered an air filter for my truck. The guy told me that it would be there the same day, probably around 3 pm. It didn't come in, so I called the next day. Still no filter. And the next day? Yep. Still no filter. ...I still haven't heard from this store whether my filter came in or not"

Ocean View same deal:

"The worst customer service ever. Seaville, NJ. The guy being the counter definitely has the wrong job."

Egg Harbor City, however, is the guy who also owns the one in Hammonton [Val U Auto Parts is his LLC]. These guys are legit, excellent customer service, fully stocked, and they love cars.

Image below is the Northfield one. The products inside are literally covered in dust.

Attachments

• streetview.jpg
    streetview.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 30

panteramatt

Ah I use the one in salem. They even have a machine shop I use all the time to get my motors bored and honed