• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Drag link issue - need opinions

69bronco69

Loc.
Central Arkansas
Lots of slop at the lower joint of adjustable drag link and tie rod. Can't ID any slop any place else. I'm looking to just replace the bushings at that joint. Id rather not replace the entire drag link. Tom's has a kit numbered 3818k. Is that what I'm looking for? Or am I better off replacing entire drag link?

69 w/stock 302, no lift, T-style linkage.

LilMixedUp

Loc.
Bonaire
the "hardware" shouldn't be loose. The ball joint should be firm but able to roll and articulate. Disconnect the drag link from the tie rod, inspect and check for wear. Attach hole and drag link joint(bolt) should be tapered. go from there...

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Be sure you have the joint's grease zerk aimed up toward the back of your front bumper. This angle is important and can prevent a great deal of drag link roll.

OP
OP
69bronco69

69bronco69

Loc.
Central Arkansas
The hardware I'm talking about is the ball joint at the drag link and tie rod. Can that be replaced? Or do I just need to get a whole new drag link?

IMG_20181115_200024952_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20181115_200006205.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Those bushings (actually the dust covers and hardware) will have nothing to do with the joint itself being worn out and loose. They would only be loose if they were, well, loose!
If the hardware is loose you should try to tighten it up. It's always possible it was not installed correctly the last time.
If the dust boots/grease covers are worn out, which is very common, then that kit will certainly help with keeping the grease in and the dust out. But they don't cause looseness in the joint. Other than letting debris in and grease out of course.
But if the joint itself is loose, it needs to be completely replaced.

Do you have any pics you can show us? Maybe even a video of it moving?
I assume you were checking it out with a helper turning the wheel back and forth? That's about the only way to learn if it's wearing out. If it's so loose that you can grab the bar and move it around, don't drive anymore until you replace it!

Replacing it might be a simple thing if it's not too old and a discontinued design. They have changed over the years at most of the vendors, but it's still possible to get some of the parts.
But even buying a whole new draglink is not out of the question, since if one end is worn out bad enough, the other one might be too.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
69bronco69

69bronco69

Loc.
Central Arkansas
Thanks Paul. I do have a CPL pics and a video but I am having issues uploading them. My issue is I don't know how to post pics/video, but I'm trying to read up on how to do that. I tried in previous post but don' t know if they work.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since you're a contributor you should be able to do them easily. Theoretically!
Are you going into the "Go Advanced" window first? Then "Upload Photos" which pops up a new window for you to search your images? Then follow the additional steps.

Should work. Let us know if it's still not working and someone will know how to do it.
I've never actually done a video, so not sure if that takes a different set of steps or not.

Paul

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Since you're a contributor you should be able to do them easily. Theoretically!
Are you going into the "Go Advanced" window first? Then "Upload Photos" which pops up a new window for you to search your images? Then follow the additional steps.

Should work. Let us know if it's still not working and someone will know how to do it.
I've never actually done a video, so not sure if that takes a different set of steps or not.

Paul

I have had a pop-up blocker prevent the upload photos window from opening, if it was set to not notify me I would have had no idea why it failed.

Joe473

I have no idea what the "go advanced" window is or how to get to it.
If you are the same guy that posted the video on Facebook it looks like you will be replacing both the draglink and the long tie rod. Check that the castle nut is tight but it looks like the draglink ball socket is worn and it looks like the stud is moving in the long tie rod. This usually only happens if it was loose and the tapered hole swallows out.

Take it apart and see what is worn. If both I would look at the wild horses 3 way adjustable stockish set up. Eliminates the long tie rod and gives you replaceable tie rod ends and adjustability on both ends and at the draglink for centering things properly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
69bronco69

69bronco69

Loc.
Central Arkansas
That is me. I figured I would have to replace the entire "t" set up. I just took the pic and video today because I had a bit of death wobble when braking on my way home from work. Planned to take apart, in the next few days and see what I need. Just thought I would get some feedback before I start

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have no idea what the "go advanced" window is or how to get to it.

I'm sure there are better written instructions than I can provide, but here's a shot at it.
If you're in the "quote" window, you're already in the advanced setup.
But if you're just looking at the normal reply window at the bottom of the page, just below it you will see the "post quick reply" and "go advanced" buttons.
They're right down here... V ;D

After clicking on the advanced tab/button/thingy or a "quote" button in a post, you will see an "additional options" section below the typing window.
In there note the "upload photos" button. Press it and a separate browser will pop up. At least it does for me in either AOL or Firefox. Pretty sure it does it in most Explorer-based browsers, but others will have to let you know about that.
I have had the new browser open up behind the existing one once or twice (which really messes with you!) but usually it pops up in front.

In the new window are multiple "Browse" tabs. Click on one and navigate to whatever file you have your images in. Either double-click on the file you want to upload, or single-click and then hit Browse again if you want more files.
If not, simply hit the "upload" button and wait for the file names to show up next to your earlier "upload photos" button in the main browser window.

Once they're there, there are two ways to insert them into your post. I only use one however, so that's the way I'm going to talk about.
Above your typing window, in the top row next to the smiley face is a paperclip with a drop-down arrow. Click there and your file(s) will show up.
But the blinky-thingy where you want the image to show up in your window, then click on the image under the paperclip you want to insert. Now it's there, but it's highlighted so don't click any other keys until you left-click somewhere in the window, or hit an arrow navigating key. Most other keys will delete your entry.

Once the upload code is showing in the place you want it to show up, simply click on the Submit Reply button. Done!

Sorry about the segué off of the subject, but I like photos and videos so much I figured it was worth talking about here too!

Good luck.

Paul